Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2019, 11:45 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Posts: 173
Caliper Rebuild - 3 pistons stuck

Hey everyone,

I'm in in the process of doing a caliper rebuild, but I'm having a hard time with 3 of the brake pistons. I took out the dust boots, and then used the compressed air / wood method. One of the pistons shot right out, 1 budged a bit, an the other 2 did not move at all. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or do I have frozen pistons? I'm blowing the air through the hole where the caliper would connect to the brake line - is this correct? Or should I be blowing through the bleeder nipple? Any other suggestions? I have tried prying / pulling on them since I do not want to damage them.

Thanks!

__________________
'02 Boxster S
'16 FR-S
'01 M5 (sold)
'07 Mazdaspeed3 (gone)
speedyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:47 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 241
"shot right out"

Does that mean that one of the pistons is all the way out and now you can't pressurise the space behind the others?
__________________
2001 Boxster S, TipTronic in Seal Grey aka "The Imp"
2001 TE50, ESS in (now) Grigio Titanio Matallizzato aka "The Golden child"
TrumpyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:08 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 793
just use 2 screwdrivers to pry them out. should be a non issue
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:28 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpyAl View Post
"shot right out"

Does that mean that one of the pistons is all the way out and now you can't pressurise the space behind the others?
It pushed most of the way out and then I pulled it out by hand - should I have kept it in so that I can get full pressure on the others?
__________________
'02 Boxster S
'16 FR-S
'01 M5 (sold)
'07 Mazdaspeed3 (gone)
speedyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:31 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 241
Yeah, pop it back in and use the block of wood to keep it from being pushed out again.

Try to use air pressure to move all of them partially out, and then lever them with screwdrivers to get them the rest of the way out.
__________________
2001 Boxster S, TipTronic in Seal Grey aka "The Imp"
2001 TE50, ESS in (now) Grigio Titanio Matallizzato aka "The Golden child"
TrumpyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:33 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
just use 2 screwdrivers to pry them out. should be a non issue
Marring that recessed ring, while I'll try to avoid it, won't damage the function, correct?
__________________
'02 Boxster S
'16 FR-S
'01 M5 (sold)
'07 Mazdaspeed3 (gone)
speedyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:47 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpyAl View Post
Yeah, pop it back in and use the block of wood to keep it from being pushed out again.

Try to use air pressure to move all of them partially out, and then lever them with screwdrivers to get them the rest of the way out.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense... I feel stupid now. Oh well. Thanks!
__________________
'02 Boxster S
'16 FR-S
'01 M5 (sold)
'07 Mazdaspeed3 (gone)
speedyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti View Post
Marring that recessed ring, while I'll try to avoid it, won't damage the function, correct?
they are actually tougher than you might think, but nah, a few scratches there won't affect anything as its just the dust boot retainer.

You can wrap the screwdriver with a paper towel if you're worried
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:01 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
they are actually tougher than you might think, but nah, a few scratches there won't affect anything as its just the dust boot retainer.

You can wrap the screwdriver with a paper towel if you're worried
Gotcha - thanks! Hopefully this rebuild and new rotors / pads will solve my vibration once and for all.
__________________
'02 Boxster S
'16 FR-S
'01 M5 (sold)
'07 Mazdaspeed3 (gone)
speedyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:43 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti View Post
Gotcha - thanks! Hopefully this rebuild and new rotors / pads will solve my vibration once and for all.

Do pay attention to the bed-in procedure.

And next time around, don't switch pad compounds without also replacing (or machining) the rotors.

__________________
2001 Boxster S, TipTronic in Seal Grey aka "The Imp"
2001 TE50, ESS in (now) Grigio Titanio Matallizzato aka "The Golden child"
TrumpyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page