Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2018, 05:52 PM   #1

Looking for some info from the 986 experts on here about a 2005 987 Boxster S

I have an opportunity to pick up a 2005 Boxster S at a very reasonable price. I have to fish or cut bait on the car in the next two days. I know this is the 986 forum, but hopefully a few of you guys have some good insight into the 987's as well.

- Are the 2005 987's more or less prone to intermix as the 986's are? That's what took my 2002 S model down and I would really prefer not to deal with that nightmare again.

-I can't seem to get a straight answer on the accessibility and ability to change the IMS bearing in a 2005. Some say yes, some say no, some say it depends. What's the deal?

-If it can't be changed, are they less or more likely to eat up an IMS bearing as the 986's?

-Are there any common failure points in the 987's to look out for? With our 986's, we have to deal with IMS issues, water pump issues, oil/coolant intermix, coolant tanks leaking, AOS failures, and a host of other much too common failure points. This 986 engine is not exactly Porsche's finest engineering moment. Did they get any of that sorted out in the 2005 987's?

-Any general consensus as to the 986 vs. 987's - Performance, durability, desirability, any general info at all would be appreciated.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any input you guys might have. If I can move up a generation, assuming they're good cars, and pick up a bit of power and performance, and not have to do the labor on an engine swap I think I'd prefer to do that, but of course I'd like to know more about the 987's. I just don't know too much about them.

Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:30 AM   #2

Garage
2005 intermix from the oil cooler is the same as previous years.

IMS bearings: Mid year 2005 they changed the IMS bearing. I'm not certain the serial number cut line but I've seen it posted before. Basically the beginning of the model year they are the same as the 2003 and 2004. Mid year they became larger and the motor has to be split to change the unit. Failure rate slightly less on the new model. An IMS solution was made to remove the bearing cover and then bearing seal. The new cover has an oil line run to it. More Info may be available on Rennline Forum.

Water pump is the same.

Coolant tank is supposed to be better design /construction.

AOS same design as 2003 and 2004, but better than the 2002 and earlier design.

8 more HP on the S over 2004. I believe that's 16 more than the 2002.

Electric SAP removed and a pump driven off camshaft on Bank 2 added all 2005 and later

Larger Airbox and MAF more direct air flow to TB.

Good luck.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:13 AM   #3
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

And....

...no spare tire.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:50 AM   #4

2005 can be one or the other regarding the IMS... Don't think there is any way to tell without dropping tranny pretty sure. Not sure if intermix is a wide spread problem, but it happens. If you want to avoid all of the above you need to bump up to 2007+ even then the IMS is still there but pretty much a non issue due to the redesign. Need to go 2009+ to loose the IMS.

The IMS aside, most of the "issues" these cars have are fairly typical of cars that are 15-20yrs old. Spotty maintenance, perhaps too much sitting around, etc takes its toll. Replacing the items with the best parts avail should keep them running without too much problem. Regarding intermix, essentially we are talking head issues in worse case scenarios... own a few Subaru's and head sealing issues (intermix) becomes a daily discussion almost. Plenty of other cars with head gasket issues that can often time be directly attributed, one way or another, to maint. Cooling system, proper oil changes intervals etc.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:57 PM   #5

I hate the fact that they don't have a spare that's so dumb to me,..and no dip stick for the oil I could live with that I guess but that no spare is just IDK,.who wants to be stranded for who knows how long waiting to change a tire that could be fixed and on the road in say 20 min.

flmont is offline   Reply With Quote