Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2018, 07:48 PM   #1

Angry USPS lost my instrument cluster

I sent my instrument cluster out to have a new odometer screen installed in it. A week goes by, and I get an email stating my cluster has been mailed to me priority mail. Yay!

3 days go by... no cluster... Check the tracking number, and the tracking number says it was shipped. Call the company that fixed it, they assured me it was mailed on Monday. Ok I will wait a few more days.

I wait a few more days.... No cluster... still no tracking info. I call USPS they can't do anything, because according to them they never got the package! I ask if I can start a claim, because the vendor swears they dropped it off to them. Again sorry no they can not do a claim because.... They never got the package

So now I guess I have to wait until Monday to call the repair place and ask them WTF!

I had my first PCA meetup this weekend too Wonder if I can show up in my Mustang instead

Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
What exactly does the tracking say? Pre-shipment, label created, package received, etc.?
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:08 PM   #3

it says...

Your package is on its way to a USPS facility. Sign up to get updates, and we'll send you a delivery date and time when available.

Status

Pre-Shipment

November 27, 2018

Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

Get Updates 
Old 11-30-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yeah...that means they never received the package. It just means the sender has printed the label. I'd check with the shop again and be stern.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:25 AM   #5

Garage
If the shop doesn't have a receipt from the post office that it was delivered they have technically lost the cluster and are liable for replacing it, unless you "signed" a release that absolves them of any liability.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #6

When I ship something USPS, I get a receipt and tracking number. Proof I did it. Ask for a copy of that proof.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #7

Well I can now say that the USPS is definitely at fault. My cluster magically appeared at the San Jose distribution center. It still has no history of being dropped off, or any scans while in transit.

Guess on Monday I shall see how good of a repair job VDOrepair has done.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #8

That's a good ending!
L1ttleBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Did your cluster ever show up?
I ordered an Autel MD802 that was supposed to be here last week. No movement or updates since Thursday
I wonder if they're getting bogged down with Christmas packages already.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Did your cluster ever show up?
I ordered an Autel MD802 that was supposed to be here last week. No movement or updates since Thursday
I wonder if they're getting bogged down with Christmas packages already.
Sadly no

USPS lost it AGAIN!

so three hours on hold with USPS call center, all to get a case number. From there I now have to physically go to the post office that last had it, and have a chat with them.

The worst part of this.... I can't start a "missing items" claim for another 8 days, and then it can take up to 60 days for the USPS to pay out!

I also have to show proof of value for the item in the box. So I will talk to my buddy at Porsche and get him to give me a printed quote on a brand new cluster.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:41 AM   #11

UPS lost my Porsche Sport Exhaust, it made it as far as Jacksonville and then disappeared. From now on I'm not shipping anything that doesn't have a 2nd label inside the box, and if it is something big, I am taping a duplicate label to the item itself. That won't block against theft, but maybe will keep it from getting lost if the label falls off somehow...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:49 PM   #12

So USPS had no idea where my cluster was, BUT look what showed up

Old 12-04-2018, 05:53 PM   #13

Garage
This happens all the time with USPS parcel post. I have seen them all. Doesn't recognize the tracking number, claims it was never delivered, tracking it shows that it reached point X and never went further. Butin every care it has shown up on my doorstep!
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #14
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Word to the wise... NEVER SHIP IMPORTANT STUFF JUST BEFORE CHRISTMAS with USPS.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #15

so a quick note...

Today I got a call from the USPS supervisor. He told me that they were very sorry about losing my cluster and that they are still trying to locate and figure out where it is.

I told him it was delivered late yesterday afternoon. There was silence on the other end of the phone. And then have a happy holidays and he hung up.

On an even better note, I installed my cluster tonight and it works great! No more art project going on with my odometer. My hats off to VDO Repair for getting it done quick.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qckslvr View Post
so a quick note...

Today I got a call from the USPS supervisor. He told me that they were very sorry about losing my cluster and that they are still trying to locate and figure out where it is.

I told him it was delivered late yesterday afternoon. There was silence on the other end of the phone. And then have a happy holidays and he hung up.

On an even better note, I installed my cluster tonight and it works great! No more art project going on with my odometer. My hats off to VDO Repair for getting it done quick.
That is classic I have several packages that are taking forever. One sent from my house in the Dallas/FT Worth area to California took 6 days to travel from my post office to the local distribution center. That center is only 12 miles away. 6 days to go 12 miles
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #17

Quote:
so a quick note...

Classic! I bought a treadmill from Amazon one time. It didn't show up, so I checked the UPS tracking, and it said it was delivered to an address in Oregon (I am in FL). I called Amazon, they were very apologetic, and refunded my money (don't know why they just didn't send another one). The next day the treadmill arrived. I called Amazon and had to fight with them to let me pay for it....
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #18
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
so a quick note...

Glad to hear that everything worked out. My Autel finally arrived today. Better late than never.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #19

It's funny but my seldom experiences with USPS had been a very good ones.

Recently I sent a small but heavy box (LSD) from So.Cal to Canada and it took less than one week to arrive in Canada, and they provided updated progress status even in Canada..! (I always choose the full insurance just in case)... just hoping that I am not jinxing myself ..lol

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote