Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2018, 04:48 AM   #21

I had this issue on my wifes CLK350. After hitting a really bad pothole car was never the same. Finally replaced the wheel and probelm solved. Everyone said the wheel was fine but always a vibration. As previously said check the front wheels.

redciv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:51 AM   #22
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
IIRC it spins the wheel/tire +/-60 MPH. I don't know if that is adjustable by the technician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti View Post
Hey Rex,

I've had them road force balanced multiple times and it has not solved the issue. Is it possible that the machine does not pick up a high speed balance issue?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
.....if the shop is mounting the wheels, they may be over torquing the wheel bolts. This can warp a rotor and cause similar vibration
We used to have this all the time on my wife's 1999 Audi A6 Avant - anytime we took it somewhere for service other than an Audi dealer and they took off the wheels we ended up with warped rotors but that car it only affected brake pedal pulsing, not steering wheel vibration.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by redciv1 View Post
I had this issue on my wifes CLK350. After hitting a really bad pothole car was never the same. Finally replaced the wheel and probelm solved. Everyone said the wheel was fine but always a vibration. As previously said check the front wheels.
I'm going to try on a set of wheels tomorrow - hopefully this is the problem! If that is the problem, where is the best place to find replacement wheels?
speedyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #25

I just realized you are relatively close to me.

PM sent on a shop that can help you if you need your wheels trued, or checked.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:52 PM   #26
On the slippery slope

Garage
Check out your local PCA chapter. Someone there may be able to help
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #27

Quote:
I'm going to try on a set of wheels tomorrow - hopefully this is the problem! If that is the problem, where is the best place to find replacement wheels?
If you like the look of your wheels you should have them checked out by a good wheel shop and repaired if possible. If you buy used wheels you will need to do the same anyway as that is the only way to really be sure you'll be starting out with straight, round and true wheels. New OEM wheels are a fortune. If your wheels just need some truing it will not be that expensive. If they need refinishing and repair of any curb rash it costs more. For my 4 18" Lt. Alloy Carrera wheels, I paid about $1,000 to have them all trued and refinished. Three of the wheels needed only minor truing and two of those needed very minor curb rash repairs which were done by welding in new aluminum. The fourth wheel was a used wheel I bought very cheaply on eBay to replace one front wheel that was bent in multiple directions and beyond repair. The eBay wheel needed more extensive truing and curb rash repair,otherwise the total cost would have been $100-$200 lower.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:12 AM   #28

Speedy, thinking out of the box...

Many years ago I had a high speed vibration on the steering wheel on my X1/9 (also mid engine) and finally got get rid of it when replaced the front shock absorbers (struts),
perhaps you may want to check the condition of yours?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #29

Strange as I had this issue, balanced wheels, new front discs etc, in the end it was cured with new rear discs, have no idea why but it solved my issue.
andys320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys320 View Post
Strange as I had this issue, balanced wheels, new front discs etc, in the end it was cured with new rear discs, have no idea why but it solved my issue.
This is what I'm hoping for, as that is the only thing attached to the suspension I have yet to change. Did you feel any pulsing or vibration when braking? Or did you just have the vibration?
Old 12-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Speedy, thinking out of the box...

Many years ago I had a high speed vibration on the steering wheel on my X1/9 (also mid engine) and finally got get rid of it when replaced the front shock absorbers (struts),
perhaps you may want to check the condition of yours?
I was hoping that this was the issue, but I already replaced the struts with new Bilstein B4s and that did not fix the issue.. I definitely learned a lot about working on cars though while replacing them, so I guess it was not all a lost cause... haha
Old 12-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
If you like the look of your wheels you should have them checked out by a good wheel shop and repaired if possible. If you buy used wheels you will need to do the same anyway as that is the only way to really be sure you'll be starting out with straight, round and true wheels. New OEM wheels are a fortune. If your wheels just need some truing it will not be that expensive. If they need refinishing and repair of any curb rash it costs more. For my 4 18" Lt. Alloy Carrera wheels, I paid about $1,000 to have them all trued and refinished. Three of the wheels needed only minor truing and two of those needed very minor curb rash repairs which were done by welding in new aluminum. The fourth wheel was a used wheel I bought very cheaply on eBay to replace one front wheel that was bent in multiple directions and beyond repair. The eBay wheel needed more extensive truing and curb rash repair,otherwise the total cost would have been $100-$200 lower.
You make a good point. I called a local wheel repair shop that has come highly recommended and they quoted me $35 a wheel to unmount, check, and remount, and then $200 a wheel to true/fix, I'll have a better idea once I try out the loaner front wheels this weekend if it really is the wheels.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #33

Quote:
This is what I'm hoping for, as that is the only thing attached to the suspension I have yet to change. Did you feel any pulsing or vibration when braking? Or did you just have the vibration?
Minor vibration under braking, the most annoying issue was the vibration at 75 mph, above around 85 it disappeared.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys320 View Post
Minor vibration under braking, the most annoying issue was the vibration at 75 mph, above around 85 it disappeared.
Did your steering feel less direct / wobbly at all?
Old 12-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #35

Quote:
Did your steering feel less direct / wobbly at all?
No,not at all.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #36

I'm going with rack and pinion.

M1Combat is offline   Reply With Quote