Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2006, 08:09 AM   #1

Storage dilemma

I just called a few indoor storage facilities because I want to store my Cayman S this winter. I was surprised to hear that none of them have an indoor electrical outlet. I want to plug in a trickle charger rather than disconnect the battery. One said that maybe the owner would allow running an extension cord from outside. That doesn't sound like a great option anyway.

I can store the car in my garage like I did with my Boxster last year. But, that required leaving my 3rd car out in the Michigan winter. I guess I will do that again.

Have others run into this problem?

Now have a 2006 Cayman S
Basalt Black/Stone Grey
TerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryB
I just called a few indoor storage facilities because I want to store my Cayman S this winter. I was surprised to hear that none of them have an indoor electrical outlet. I want to plug in a trickle charger rather than disconnect the battery. One said that maybe the owner would allow running an extension cord from outside. That doesn't sound like a great option anyway.

I can store the car in my garage like I did with my Boxster last year. But, that required leaving my 3rd car out in the Michigan winter. I guess I will do that again.

Hi,

Just pull the battery and store it at your house on the trickle charger, then return it in the spring.

Slightly less convenient, but it won't rule out any close, economical storage either, and adds slightly to the car's security (what thief brings his own battery?)...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:24 AM   #3

MNBoxster
I've heard that pulling the battery requires re-programming the on-board computer, radio etc. If true ...I don't live very close to a Porsche dealer.

Now have a 2006 Cayman S
Basalt Black/Stone Grey
Old 09-11-2006, 09:36 AM   #4
bmussatti

Most storage places have a light in the ceiling. Does the one your looking at have it? If so, just screw in a bulb adapter with an electrical plug outlet for the battery maintainer, which pulls far less current than they usually allow at the rental facility.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
MNBoxster
I've heard that pulling the battery requires re-programming the on-board computer, radio etc. If true ...I don't live very close to a Porsche dealer.
Hi,

No, You can safely remove the battery and store it elsewhere on a charger. On '03 and later cars there is no Radio Code, it is matched to the DME (ECU) - put it in another car and it won't function - so no need to code it.

The adaptive memory in the DME will be wiped out, along with any minor faults which it registered, but that's no big deal. It'll idle a little rougher the first few miles until it relearns and any faults which have been cleared will be registered if they pop up again after reinstalling the battery and running it. It is probably even healthy to re-set the DME occaisionally, like booting your home PC. Also true if you have the TipS, it will shift differently (but still perfectly fine), until it relearns your driving style. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:46 AM   #6

I have stored my Box every winter (1 Nov. to 1 May) in a rental garage for the 3yrs I have had it. No trickle charger and no battery problems yet, but then I would take the car out for a spin at least every 3 wks. The winter weather here is fairly mild and we don't have snow and slush staying on the ground for weeks at a time.

Most of the rental garages I have looked at have no power of any kind in them.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:51 AM   #7

I did some more calling around today and found one that has an outlet in each garage. So, I will probably go with them although there is a waiting list.

The idea of plugging into a ceiling adapter is good also. Thanks, I didn't think of that

Now have a 2006 Cayman S
Basalt Black/Stone Grey
Old 09-12-2006, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:

------------------------------------

I'm in the same boat as you, brother. BOxster will be stored in the garage leaving my 3rd car out. 2 1/2 car garage. My wife says we can fit all 3 and my motorcycle inside. We'll see. I'll post pix if we can.

Other option: don't put the car in storage and drive it on sunny days, which we don't get much in Michigan.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #9
bmussatti

Jeff & Terry, you guys might want to find a place to store your cars together. One 2-car space should rent for less than two 1-car spaces. You are both in mid-Michigan. Good luck.