Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2018, 06:32 AM   #1

Shift Cable Gear Linkage

Hey all,

I was driving the other day and downshifted rolling towards a stop. When I went to put the car in gear, i felt that the shifter was completely limp side to side. It was able to engage 3rd and 4th, and after limping it home, I researched and saw that my problem was likely a gear linkage at the transmission.

Jacked the car up, and found the linkage had popped off the ball, and would pop on/off with relative ease. To get the car moving I zip tied the units together, but obviously know that's a temporary patch. Wondering what's the best solution for fixing this permanently.

The one that popped off was one of the cables from the shifter in the cabin. In the attached picture, it's the bottom orangish/brown arrow, and is also shown off the ball. The base does have a hex design, so I'd suspect it can be removed...but haven't put a wrench on it yet to test it, as I don't want to snap it off and break more than is currently worn.

I appreciate the help!

flynavyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:39 AM   #2
Who's askin'?

Welcome to the Porsche experience! :-)

This is a very common problem with these cars. The cable end wears, and Pops off. Frequently, when you look inside it, you'll see that the nylon insert is cracked.

The fix is to replace the cable ends, but it is my understanding that they are not available other than buying the entire cable assembly.
The good news? They're not terribly expensive.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:08 AM   #3

exactly what I was wondering! Thanks!
Old 10-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I had the same issue 2 years ago. I replaced the rather week stock clips that hold the cables on with these

https://tunersmall.com/product/trs-shift-cable-security-clips-986-boxster/

Work like a charm.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #5

Paul,

I ended up buying the clips as my fix as well. It was easy to retrofit the clip on the linkage that popped off, however popping the other ends off proved difficult. Any suggestions on removing the other cable end links from the transmission?
Old 08-15-2019, 05:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
I had the same issue 2 years ago. I replaced the rather week stock clips that hold the cables on with these

https://tunersmall.com/product/trs-shift-cable-security-clips-986-boxster/

Work like a charm.
So they're selling slotted u-clips. The slotted side slides behind the ball, and the main body wraps around the cable end to keep it in place. Cotter pins keep the clip from slipping off.

And they want $105 for 3 of these? Are you f'in kidding me?
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:03 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Paul,

I ended up buying the clips as my fix as well. It was easy to retrofit the clip on the linkage that popped off, however popping the other ends off proved difficult. Any suggestions on removing the other cable end links from the transmission?
Basically you just bend back the tabs holding the clips on and pry them off.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:06 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
So they're selling slotted u-clips. The slotted side slides behind the ball, and the main body wraps around the cable end to keep it in place. Cotter pins keep the clip from slipping off.

And they want $105 for 3 of these? Are you f'in kidding me?
If you can find a cheaper solution, do it. In my estimation it is the best $105 bucks (135 CDN) I've spent on the car. Not being stranded in teh middle of nowhere is good piece of mind.

PS.... the package has 4 IIRC.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:35 AM   #9

Quote:
If you can find a cheaper solution, do it. In my estimation it is the best $105 bucks (135 CDN) I've spent on the car. Not being stranded in teh middle of nowhere is good piece of mind.

PS.... the package has 4 IIRC.
I don't doubt they work. The site shows 3 clips, but even if it's 4, that's over $26 apiece for some bent steel that someone could probably replicate with some simple hand tools.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #11

And I beleive zip ties also work to hold the ball and socket together.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #12

Garage
Then that would be cheaper. Go at it.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
And I beleive zip ties also work to hold the ball and socket together.
There is a lot of heat back there with the exhaust so close so I'm wondering if plastic zip ties may just soften and come off. Anyway, despite the expense so long ago it really doesn't matter.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Basically you just bend back the tabs holding the clips on and pry them off.
Thanks. I had bent the 3 tabs back on one of the units, but the dang thing didn't pop off. Will try it again soon, apparently i just need to pry harder.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #15

Quote:
There is a lot of heat back there with the exhaust so close so I'm wondering if plastic zip ties may just soften and come off. Anyway, despite the expense so long ago it really doesn't matter.
Zip Ties will work to get you out of being stranded. I had put two on there as a temp band-aid and they held ok for quite a while...when the cable finally let go again, I went down and looked and the zipties were no where to be found...so, at some point, they definitely worked their way off, or snapped.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:23 AM   #16

I agree that the clips are NOT cheap. But $100 wasn't too bad, considering the price of replacement cables. Sadly the cable ends aren't servicable or repairable, so the only fix appeared to be complete replacement of the cables. Considering the car had 55,000 miles on it, I imagine the wear is more due to age than typical wear and tear. Still, I wouldn't want to be driving around w/ new shift cables and find myself stranded if one popped off the ball of the transmission.

New linkages for the transmission were very expensive (in the $500 range) and new cables were several hundred plus a fair amount of work on the installation. But yes, you're talking a piece of stainless and cotter pins.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
I agree that the clips are NOT cheap. But $100 wasn't too bad, considering the price of replacement cables. Sadly the cable ends aren't servicable or repairable, so the only fix appeared to be complete replacement of the cables. Considering the car had 55,000 miles on it, I imagine the wear is more due to age than typical wear and tear. Still, I wouldn't want to be driving around w/ new shift cables and find myself stranded if one popped off the ball of the transmission.

New linkages for the transmission were very expensive (in the $500 range) and new cables were several hundred plus a fair amount of work on the installation. But yes, you're talking a piece of stainless and cotter pins.
I don't have a manual transmission, but from the pics it seems to me like the ends are serviceable, if you can find a matching nylon bushing.

I'd try prying apart the the three tabs that hold the piece that keeps the nylon bushing in place. Take out the worn bushing and go to the parts store, or gamble 6 bucks on the ebay link I posted earlier and see if any of those bushings would fit. Once you find one that fits, push it in, place the clip over it and bend the tabs in again to lock it.

Failing that, I'd make my own clips similar to those they're selling for $105.

And if that fails, as a last resort, I'd begrudgingly get the ones for $105.

Last edited by piper6909; 08-16-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #18

Quote:
I have some regular cheap plastic zip ties on my 914 e-brake cables and they are inches away from the exhaust. They have held up great after several years. Very surprising!
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:57 PM   #19

I find it hard to believe that those nylon bushings can't be replaced.

If someone on here who sells used parts is willing to send me a couple ends and maybe a ball link I'm willing to hunt down some nylon bushings to see if I can come up with a solution. I'd post the solution on here so everyone can benefit.

PM me if you have some bad ends you'd like to ship.