Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #1

How to remove the top part of the shifter for a 987.2 automatic (PDK)

I want to remove my center console. There are lots of articles on this but they all reference a manual shifter. Does anyone know how to do this on an automatic? Once I get past the top part of the shifter I can follow the instructions in the other pages. Thanks.

petropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #2

I have never removed the panel around a PDK, so take this free advice for what it's worth...

My guess would be the panel would have the same clip locations as the manual panel. Porsche wouldn't make 2 different consoles, so the panels should be the same regardless of PDK or manual. Be careful not to break any clips.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:48 PM   #3

The only thing I'm concerned about is that the other articles discuss how to remove the boot first and the shifter ball but I don't have either of those. I don't want to break any of the plastic as that can get expensive.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:49 AM   #4

A couple of yrs ago I was working on a 911 cab that needed interior work. Had to remove a bunch of interior pieces and I didn't want to bust any clips so I did a couple of things to find pics of the part.

#1 was to search on ebay for the part. Many times vendors would show a pic of the back side of the part to show all the clips were intact. This gave me a map of where they were located.
#2 was to Google search on the part # (a lot of times picked up from ebay if they didn't have good pics). The part # search should reveal pics of the item.
#3 was to do a Google search on the part name, which would result in forum articles.

Doing a search on ebay resulted in 1 hit on your item. It didn't show a back side pic, so I tried the part #. Didn't come up with anything there (probably because the item was red alcantara), so I Googled Porsche PDK horseshoe and found this forum post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/544685-new-mod-leather-pdk-shift-trim.html

Post 11 has the info you're looking for along with a pic of the underside of the horseshoe.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 10-23-2018 at 03:54 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #5

I'll give it a try and report back. I'm actually trying to get under the piece below the horseshoe. I'm installing an after market radio and I have everything done (backup camera wired, transmission in reverse wire routed, GPS antenna under plastic piece by the windshield wiper) all routed and I want to lift that middle console piece up so
  1. I can see if the phone connector wire is under there because it has a switched power wire, and
  2. Remove the factory AUX connector since it won't work and run a new AUX connector to my new stereo.
I'll run to the fuse box if the factory phone connector harness isn't under there.

I'll give a full report on my installation after I'm done in another one of my posts but I don't want to give a summary until I finish. Hopefully it will help others when wiring an aftermarket stereo in these cars. The stock unit (mine is a 2010 Boxster) isn't very good.

Last edited by petropolis; 10-24-2018 at 12:15 PM.