Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
FoFoJoe

Garage
My solution for keyless entry - 2001 Boxster

Just wanted to share a project I just finished today. I had a working original key (with the keyless/trunk pop) but I only had the one. After seeing the price of a replacement I decided to find another way to get a replacement key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98-dVghDcog

Quick background, I work in the car audio industry so keyless entry/alarms/remote start is something I deal with on a regular basis.

So I had one of the installers help me figure out a plan. We had a Viper 5806v that was parted out but still had the brain/remote/antenna so I picked that up for $95 and had it installed for $100. It arms and disarms the factory alarm and will eventually pop the front/rear trunk too. He had problems with the triggers for the two trunks but we should have that solved within a couple days.

The remote is a 2 way system so the remote is paged to confirm the car locks/unlocks, or if the shock sensor is triggered.

As far as the key goes, I swapped the transponder pill and key shaft from my original key to this 911 fob.

Now I have a keyless entry system and factory 911 key and can preserve my original boxster key. No more worrying about that $400+ replacement cost..

This could be done with any keyless entry system so long as it has atleast 2 auxiliary triggers for the front and rear trunks.

- FunctionFirst shift knob/short shift kit
- Focal speakers/Alpine amp/Kenwood deck/Pioneer 8" subs
FoFoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:53 AM   #2

Garage
Nice project. And you can get the "pill" cloned for about $100 it seems. Will you be publishing more detail on how this is done or can any installer do this?
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
Who's askin'?

nicely done!
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
FoFoJoe

Garage
Hey sorry about the delayed response, I am new to this forum and couldn't find my post.. but I don't have instructions on how to install it. I know our installers use Directechs for triggers/wiring guides and I watched him to part of the job. 99% of it was done by t-taping connections from the alarm module under the drivers seat.

We actually don't have the front/rear trunk hooked up yet, he was having issues with the triggers but once we figure that out I will have those controlled on the remote also.

- FunctionFirst shift knob/short shift kit
- Focal speakers/Alpine amp/Kenwood deck/Pioneer 8" subs
FoFoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote