Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #1

Horn beeps twice

So I just got back from the dealership who replaced a micro switch for the top. When I got home and pressed the fob to lock it everything went fine, then about 10 seconds later the horn beeps TWICE. I capitalize because it is not the single blast for something left open, it beeps twice. Any ideas??

SigmaPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #2

I could be wrong, but I think it beeps twice when the motion sensor faulted or was faulted before correctly setting - which of course is activated by the micro switch.

Does it do it when you have the top open (and w/out a red clip in place)? If so, that's your problem again...

More from the owner's manual (986)

"A double horn signal during locking indicates a defect in the central locking or alarm system. Have the defect remedied at an authorized Porsche Dealer."

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 07-09-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:05 PM   #3

Make sure your center console (of glovebox if applicable) is completely shut.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #4

I'm having the same problem, and only had a similar issue fixed last week... back to the dealership me thinks. According to the manual if it beeps twice it is an issue with the alarm / central locking system. It was doing it last week and that was down to a faulty sensor, which I'm guessing wasn't fixed correctly.
boxtoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
You need a PST-2 or a trip to the dealer to read the alarm system's event and error logs. It will tell you which one of the many sensors are at fault.

In your case, take it back to the shop and insist they fix it for free.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #6

Hi all.

Resurrecting an old post but I wanted to share my solution with the group, if it helps. My 99 base Boxster recently started beeping twice exactly 10 seconds after I would lock it and only when the roof was closed (but no beeps when roof opened). Prior to the symptom appearing, the center roof clip, where the center cabin light is and where the handle ‘locks’ down the roof securely, had unfasten after the roof accidently closed with the handle in the locked position (what it did is pushed on the center plastic clip, and the two screws that hold it up to the windshield frame, behind the alien eyes, broke off (they were already loose). I replaced the screws and reinstalled the clip and reconnected all 3 molex- type wire connectors. This is when the symptom- 2 beeps, started.

My Autel 802 gave me the error code 34 in “alarm” submenu; it was telling me that the “passenger sensing” unit was defective. No idea what this sensing gizmo was but I remember reading about the micro-switches and that symptom being connected. So took the center clip off and inspected the micro switches but they were fine. After a few minutes inspecting the 3 sets of molex connectors, I noticed that one of the 4 wires was not seated properly in the molex-type “connector” that connects to the box identified in German as “ sensor für innenraumüberwachung”. I pushed it in back, wired everything up and all is fine now.

I guess that wires shrink with age, dry up and get loose. This video shows the center clip and the sensor I was referring too. This is not my video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UIQuDmgMzAo

Cheers!
CDNIcecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Owner

Thanks for the post - dealing with double beep now with 98 Boxster. Haven't tried the alarm with top down. Hopefully I can resolve before taking it to shop or dealer. My Autel doesn't pick up Alarm Errors - I don't have the 802 Elite.
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #8

IIRC, the alarm will beep twice when the car is locked, but the alarm won't sound. Try inserting the key in the door lock and quickly turn the key twice to lock it. You should hear the double beep. Happens also when you push the button on the key fob twice quickly. I don't believe the delay is anywhere near 10 seconds though
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:38 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Owner

Quick update if it helps noobs like me.

I chatted with my mechanic and since all of the door locks and windows functions as they should he said it is likely my module needs to be replaced.

I tried the simple top up - top down to trouble shooting and alarm still not working. I also tried the turn key method as suggested. Yesterday I put my Hard Top and same results. But when I inserted the key and turn it quickly three times now my alarm is working. Turn key method is working with hardtop on.

Not just because of the challenges but I am kinda over caring for the soft top. I was planning on keeping the hard top on for good going forward so I guess this issue gives me more incentive to do so. Until the alarm completely kills over.

Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote