Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2018, 05:29 PM   #1

GT4 on BAT

A Racing Yellow GT4 w/ 13K mi sold on BAT today for $85K + fee. That's still below $90K. I was sure it was going to be a RNM. Wonder what all those speculators who bought at $110K+ are thinking now?

911 Rs have also really plummeted. They were selling for $500K but now you can find them for $360K. That's some big depreciation.

Guess the moral of the story is to buy early and unload quickly when comes to speculative Porsches.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:17 PM   #2
Damn Yankee

Garage
IMHO, Porsche is undermining itself by introducing so many special limited production models. Exclusivity will soon be out the window completely.

Now there's a limited edition 935 being introduced!! WTF ? 77 examples will be up for sale (if they aren't already sold out).

Porsche markets their products well, but one must eventually tire of their antics. They're making a ton of money, and speculative buyers are now starting to feel the hurt.

In the final analysis, it's just a car, people. Granted, it's a very fine one, but it's still just a car!

Just sayin' and sayin'.............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:35 PM   #3

Garage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ739X8SSCk

I thought this was interesting when I watched it a couple months ago.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:39 PM   #4

I think the endless string of new limited edition Porsches are what's causing the drop in prices of these cars. The 911 R dropped because Porsche introduced the GT2 RS. I imagine Porsche doesn't care for all the speculation, so their way of combating it is to keep introducing something else that makes the last one yesterday's news.

Nobody drives the limited edition Ferraris - they're too expensive so they just become art.

Last edited by husker boxster; 09-27-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:09 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

$85K? Wow. That is an incredible deal.

I've driven a GT4. Amazing car. It is exactly what you would imagine - think 911 engine in a Boxster chassis. Bad ass fun. One of the very few "new" Porsche's that I would seriously consider owning.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #6

It will be interesting to see what happens to 981 GT4 prices after the 982 (or is it 718?) GT4s with 4.0 liter flat sixes hit the streets. It sure seems to me like there are always lots of low mileage, US GT4s for sale on the PCA classifieds, eBay, Excellence Magazine classifieds
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
MWS

A good (ok, fair) rule of thumb is that with most other items, anything marketed as "limited" or "collectors edition" won't increase in value while anything produced and sold quietly and without hype (or was meant to be disposable) will skyrocket in the future. I don't know if this necessarily applies to cars, but it should. Perhaps then companies will stop manufacturing endless waves of "limited" vehicles and just focus on making the best examples that they can.

Finally, I am beyond frustrated with all of the "hypercars" that are beautiful examples of amazing engineering....that are locked away and never driven. Great examples of this are all of the new Bugattis (Veyron, Chiron and now Divo). The engineering behind these cars is mind boggling (with a price to match), but the point is that they were built to achieve a certain set of parameters, which quite sadly, most will never fulfill or even begin to. I fully understand the concept of "art", but "art" is form over function, thus I can't reconcile the concept of collectibility of such machines with the fact that the "function" is what is actually driving the price point. Perhaps cars such as these are not being purchased as investments, but more of the "I've got something that you don't, and won't ever have" mindset....but then again, and if that's the case, shouldn't it be flaunted by being driven daily?

Anyway, sorry for the "mini-rant". I've got a line from a song stuck in my head..."someday when I figure it all out, I'll be sure to let you know."
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
It will be interesting to see what happens to 981 GT4 prices after the 982 (or is it 718?) GT4s with 4.0 liter flat sixes hit the streets. It sure seems to me like there are always lots of low mileage, US GT4s for sale on the PCA classifieds, eBay, Excellence Magazine classifieds
I am interested too, I noticed that the 2012 Cayman R used prices didn't really go down all that much when the GT4 came out - they seemed to stay around 55K. I was really hoping they would go down more, I love that car, I finally got a ride in one at Sebring and it was awesome
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #9

With the insane amts of fuel and tires consumed by a Veyron, I'm not sure they're really meant to be driven. They're more of an engineering exercise than an weekend toy.

Here's one of those $350K 911 Rs:
https://www.cncexotics.com/used/Porsche/2016-Porsche-911-64047e750a0e0ae964abbd2a69d0d880.htm

It was mere months ago they were selling for $500K.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #10

The reason 911 R's dropped in price is because GT3's can now be had with a manual. When the R's were the only option the prices skyrocketed as buyers feared porsche would "never again make a naturally aspirated manual car" so people paid a fortune for them.

now you can walk into a dealer and pay $150-$170k for a manual GT3, so anyone who pays more than that for an R is just silly in my opinion. in order to get value from the R you will have to hold on to it for a very long time.
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:50 PM   #11
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
With the insane amts of fuel and tires consumed by a Veyron, I'm not sure they're really meant to be driven. They're more of an engineering exercise than an weekend toy....
Well, I'd argue at the costs of tires (even at $40k a set) and fuel (at maybe 8mpg) as a percentage of purchase price is far cheaper than our 986's. Besides, if your spending $3.5 mil, what's $100k in annual operating costs? Lol.

I'm sorry that I don't buy into the concept of Audi manufacturing these purely as an engineering exercise, or else it would been a one-off (or at least very, very few, and certainly not different models). I suppose my point is that they are (or should be) a weekend toy for the hyper-wealthy, not just stored for eternity. Additionally I can understand (or did understand) why the original Veyron was purchased as an investment...but now with newer and more impressive models, I wonder how that investment has paid off (I'd assume there are far better investment alternatives).

Cars should be driven...not purchased, held and traded like a commodity.

(And yes, I know my quote of 8mpg is EPA...and I'd bet that flat out, the better term would be gallons per mile.).
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:17 PM   #12

Maybe instead of saying 'not meant to be driven', I should have said they're impractical to drive. Yes, if you can afford a $1M car, you can afford the tires and fuel, but who wants to buy a set of tires every other w/e?
Old 09-29-2018, 12:10 AM   #13

There’s a Porsche bubble at the moment in my opinion. It’s worse than the classic car bubble which must run out of steam soon.

They are produced in volume and all the niche models marketed strongly as per the vid. Magazines are reviewing and going on about how good a drive they are etc etc.

Add that to the next step up in cars such as McLaren, Lambo, Ferrari etc and the Porsche is affordable and also seen as an everyday car. Any of them are well built and reliable enough so as to be an everyday driver.

I may be cynical here but I reckon Porsche know exactly what they are at and are playing the game. I’d say that’s partly the reason they are currently the worlds most profitable car company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote