Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2018, 07:06 AM   #1

Steering lock assembly bad.

Well I thought my ignition switch failed so painstakingly replaced it. Put key in and all it does is doing back and forth still. Took paperclip to remove key cylinder and the parts inside the housing between the key and ignition switch are chewed up so how can I replace that whole assembly I haven't found a DIY for that part yet to try and attempt it. Otherwise I have a 2004 Boxter with a 3.2 newer engine for sale as a yard ornament since it's been sitting since November 2017 already.

RE2Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #2

Garage
I did mine .You have to remove the instrument cluster.There is a youtube video .
gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:16 AM   #3

Well I found a website with detailed pictures on removing the part and funny enough it is easier to do this to replace the ignition switch as well without climbing under the dash and it is done through the AC vent. New question is when I replace it can I disable the lock to avoid it breaking again in the future or is it electronically monitored.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #4

RE2:

Will you post the link? I may be needing this soon. Thanks.
sandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #5

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/16077-diy-upgraded-ignition-switchlock-installation-for-996boxster/?tab=comments#comment-113618

Here is the link, most posts I noticed were really old there but some useful stuff like Pedro's Garage site too.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #6

Well I finally got around to replacing the steering lock assembly but instead of inserting to use lock I made my own support bracket for the back and now bypassed the lock to prevent future mishaps. Still plan to go RFID eventually and remove the key completely. That is another thread I'm already on for when that happens though.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:44 AM   #7

I am trying to remove the steering lock assembly from my 2004 Boxster Tiptronic. I can't figure out how to disconnect the cable that goes into the assembly, (see the picture) I can get the cable loose from the connection but there seems to be a spring inside the cable that won't allow me to pull it completely out. Welcome any ideas on how to get the cable completely disconnected.
Steve04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:01 AM   #8

Did you ever get this removed?

selaliadobor is offline   Reply With Quote