Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2020, 07:32 PM   #1

Garage
Boxster-Black Edition

Hi all, I am shopping for my first Porsche. I’m kinda excited :dance:. Kids finally finished college! I read in another post that this car was never made, but a guy that I used to work with told me some things about when his father was buying one.
Can anyone tell me about the Boxster Black Edition? Is it worth considering if I find one? Is there anything special about them, good or bad? Since I’ve never owned one I’m guessing that I should pursue the typical line of questioning, but what,
beyond that? Since it’s a “special” edition, is it worth the extra money that a seller may be looking to get more.
Thanks for you help as I just don’t want to make a mistake. After all, this maybe my one and only chance!
Cheers,
Jack

jackschumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:53 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The only factory Special Edition 986 I am aware of was the 2004 550 Anniversary Edition, the differences where primarily cosmetic.
If I recall correctly there was a black edition of the 987 Cayman that was black with matte black stripes running the length of the car.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:24 PM   #3

There is a 2012 Black Edition Boxster S. The 2009-2012 models are referred to as the 987.2 versions and are hard to find because those were the first Porsches with the new 9a1 engine (no IMS) and have the PDK automatic - both very desirable features. Plus this was smack in the middle of the banking-failure induced recession, so Porsche sold very few of them during those yrs (like 2000 total / yr). When you combine very desirable features plus extreme scarcity, prices are high and nice examples sell immediately. Trying to find a special edition in the midst of an already scarce 987.2 selection is like trying to find unicorn's teeth, not just a unicorn. Doesn't mean you shouldn't look, just be ready to spend a lot of time looking and be ready to pull the trigger quickly when you find one.

I just helped a friend sell his 09 Cayman S. The prospective buyer had a PPI done before he decided to buy. In the week it took for this to occur, FIVE additional prospective buyers queued up behind him waiting for his decision.

BTW... I own 2 Porsches and both are special editions. So you shouldn't be discouraged to look, just be aware what you're up against.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 06-10-2020 at 10:27 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:12 AM   #4

That model is certainly more pricey. Quick google for sale cars.....

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2012-Porsche-Boxster-S-Black-Edition-t40745

2ata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxster black edition