Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2006, 07:44 PM   #1

The Boxster and I are on a multi-state journey beginning tomorrow. 1st long trip

I'm headed to Notre Dame, IN tomorrow in my 2001 Boxster. I live about 30 miles south of Dallas. It will be my first extended journey in the 986. Previously, its been to Shreveport and back but that's about the longest trip. Hopefully, I'll be posting Monday that it made the 2,000 plus miles round trip adventure free. It's probably not the most practical car to take on the trip but hey, it puts a smile on my face and that's more important to me than practicality. I have the IPOD, V1, and a couple of extra quarts of Mobil 1 ready! I'm headed to see the Notre Dame vs. Penn State game Saturday. With the V1 ready, I should get there in about the time it would take to arrive early at the airport, make it through security, fly, get a rental car, etc., etc. etc. (at least that's my non-practical excuse) GO IRISH!!!!

thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:57 PM   #2

Sounds like a blast. I drove from S. Florida to Denver in a lifted Wrangler, so your trip should be more enjoyable and much cheaper!
mookarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to asnigro
Good luck, the Irish looked sloppy this past week but I'm sure this will be a helluva game! I gotta pull for the Big Ten 10 though!

Hopefully no drunk punk does anything to your car. I dont have a Porsche (yet) but I am always afraid to park it around a "college atmosphere". I drive to Madison, WI for every home football game and havent had any problems with my new accord (even with IL plates no less!). However, my good friend just got the hood of his new G35 keyed up with a big "F*#@ You" on it. Park your baby somewhere safe!
asnigro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:20 AM   #4
bmussatti

Your Fighting Irish will get beat-up by the Big Ten this year! They will go 0-4 against Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:34 AM   #5

Have a good trip, and enjoy yourself. Update us of any adventures along the way.

Be VERY Careful in Indiana. You will most certainly be pulled over by State police on trumpted up accusations of "weaving in lanes. . .loud exhausts. . . . "speeding (66 in a 65) and other such pretext hullabaloo because you're in a fine sports car. Those interstate highways are drug interdiction corredors.

Don't let it spoil your ride, though :dance:
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:52 AM   #6

Have fun and, more importantly, drive safe!
red_wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
Big Ten catches a whooping in NJ today.

Rutgers- 33 Illinois -0

I guess Illinois is a basketball school.

Ouch..
I never said Illinois would beat ND! If Illinois played ND, the score would be like 66-0 in the Irish favor.

Illinois did beat Rutgers last year in over-time!

Yes, Illinois has been a much-much better basketball school the past few years.

Looks like ND is kicking Penn States butt today. Oh well, it looks like ND will win at least 2 games this year!
Old 09-10-2006, 07:52 PM   #8

Great trip. About 2300 miles and not a problem at all. NO TICKETS!!!! Avg. 27.4 miles to the gallon.

And to borrow a few lines from the MasterCard commercials:

ND/Penn State Tickets $118.00
Hotel $340.00
Souvineers $too much
Getting to watch Penn State fans file out of the stadium at the end of the 3rd quarter Priceless

Old 09-12-2006, 09:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro
Great trip. About 2300 miles and not a problem at all. NO TICKETS!!!! Avg. 27.4 miles to the gallon.

And to borrow a few lines from the MasterCard commercials:

ND/Penn State Tickets $118.00
Hotel $340.00
Souvineers $too much
Getting to watch Penn State fans file out of the stadium at the end of the 3rd quarter Priceless

I love that picture: Touchdown Jesus!! I remember seeing it in person years ago in a Michigan ND game. Priceless!!
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:57 PM   #10
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
Got give credit to bmussattti when it's due:
ND catching a whooping from the Wolverines.
40-14 in the the 4th quarter.

Big Ten football is for real.

The White Boxster bond is a powerful force!!
Old 09-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #11

Yes, a rough day for the Irish today. Glad I went last week and not this one.

Mike
Old 09-17-2006, 04:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
The White Boxster bond is a powerful force!!
I'm with you too bmussatti! Hopefully my spartans can give an equal pounding to the Irish, Irish, national chumps, not quite champs

about Illinois, well yeah lets just not talk about them for a long long long time....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:26 AM   #13
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
I'm with you too bmussatti! Hopefully my spartans can give an equal pounding to the Irish, Irish, national chumps, not quite champs

about Illinois, well yeah lets just not talk about them for a long long long time....

The Spartans played a great game against Pitt. Good Job! Poor Dave Wanstedt (spelling?) is getting it handed to him there too! We don't miss him here in Chicago. I hope you guys beat ND this weekend!

Fortunately, Illini basketball starts in a couple months!!

And, so I don't pi$$ off the Forum AdMin guys with all this spots talk...my Porsche rocks!! I did an awesome 400 mile drive yesterday through Illinois' corn fields.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:09 AM   #14

Old 09-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #15
bmussatti

Thenavarro, something tells me that you would not have put that "thing" on your car today, had Michigan State not "handed" you Irish fans that game last night!

Nice come-back!! That's why they play the games...and all the downs.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:04 AM   #16

Bmussatti,

Actually, the leprechaun lives on the Boxster all football weekends. Win or lose. Sometimes admittedly, it stays on a for a couple of extra days after a win. That was a fun game to watch last night. I can't stand John L. Smith (the Mich St. coach) so that made it even better. I love college football so much more than Pro football. In college, almost anything can happen on any given Saturday and all the teams seem to have a very rabid fan base. The pro game and atmosphere is boring to me.

Take care,

Mike
Old 09-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #17
bmussatti

Thenavarro, I agree, college sports (football & basketball) are much better than the progame.

What's wrong with John L. Smith? I really don't know much about him. I like your Charlie guy! He's a winner. But, it looks like he gained another 80 pounds this year. Can't be too healthy.

I think when you order your next Boxster, you should do a customer selected custom paint color to honor your Irish!!