Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #1

Cam Timing Tools Question

I'm planning my winter project to change some lifters out. I think I need the P253 tool. I see that I can make a variation of this tool which uses bolts (or the heads) to hold the cams instead of the molded pieces that comes with the SIR tool. Will this work just as well? It seems that the intake and exhaust cam timing relative to each other is determined by installing the chain on the sprockets using the alignment marks (7 link spacing). It would be nice to have the aluminum bridges to hold the cams in especially as I'm going to attempt to lower the engine slightly and do this in car (I have a lift) although I think I can deal with that. The only other remaining question is how to get the exhaust sprocket installed back in the correct position. Perhaps with the crank locked its not an issue?

'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:38 PM   #2

I think the bolt version is the P255 and its used to hold the cams in place while reinstalling along with the P256 tools. I made the P255 from angle aluminum and a couple of bolts, and I made the P256 from wood and used retainer bolts to hold them in place- holding the cams in place. This was while I was reinstalling the actuator bolts. I think you might be able to use the P253 tool to hold the cams in place but mine didn't really hold them so I made the P255 tool. It only took a few minutes. If you are planning for the project go ahead and get or make the tool to compress the variocam actuator. Its a reverse thread (at least it was in mine) so I ordered a few rods and made up the tool A lot easier than zip ties in my estimation. (If you are replacing the pads while out) I did all of this with the engine in the car.

If I remember, you install the cams with the hold downs then rotate them together to align the sprocket for re installation. Hope I recall correctly its been a while.

Three pages of pictures : Pelican Parts Photos - 101 Projects for your Porsche Boxster: Project 16 - Camshaft Upgrade / Chain Tensioner Repl

Dave

Last edited by dsallean; 08-27-2018 at 01:40 PM.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #3

I found a drawing so making the bolt version should be easy although if I found a kit for a reasonable price I might be tempted

'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote