Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2006, 03:44 PM   #1

My CEL Question

First thing this morning while i was driving to work . First time my CEL has ever came on.So as i was headed to work i kept thinking what it could be.
when i got ther I first checked the gas cap.yea it was not on well. So I tightened it the cel stayed on.so went home reset it and alls well .But what i am wondering if it wasent the Gas cap How long wil the cel stay off befor it comes on agan any advice thanks

boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
You should have left it on and went to Autozone to get the code using their ODBII scanner. There are other issues that could trigger the CEL that are intermit like a P1411. I've gotten that code once a week on hot saturdays. but i clear it and its gone for another 7 days.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:18 PM   #3

Question

newbie here...and very recent owner of a 98 Boxster....How do you reset the CEL? because my light just came on and I think it is the gas cap issue but it hasn't gone out yet. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:13 PM   #4

Hi,

For many CEL's once the fault is corrected, the light will go out. Others require disconnecting the Battery negative terminal (radio code in hand) for 5 min. This will cause the DME to reset also and the Tiptronic control module, so these will run rough or shift differently for the first drive cycle, usually 5-10 miles. Finally, major faults need to be reset with a PST2 Tester, Durametric software and some OBDII scanners. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:20 PM   #5

Thanks for the response. I'll give that a shot.

Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote