Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2018, 05:13 AM   #1

Bonehead move of the day

Up here in Ontario we have a drive clean program to have the car smog tested before renewal tags are issued. I've had few problems with my S and it passed it's first test fine. Thinking I would be smart, I reset the ECU (there were no codes, but still, I went ahead). The car failed because the testing computer couldn't find most the sensors. So now I need to drive it, have the sensors etc. come back online, then take it back (I'll have to pay a small fee for a retest). Sometimes, when you're trying to be extra 'smart' ... you're being extra stupid.

Live and learn - hopefully you don't run into the same issue!

Old 08-15-2018, 05:24 AM   #2
Who's askin'?

If you're anxious, you could check out this recent thread where I detailed the drive cycle that will put your computer back into ready mode.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2F986Forum%2Ecom%2Fforums %2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D72869&share_tid=72869&share_fid=31135&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:35 AM   #3

Garage
End of last year I was due for inspection, I failed because 2 monitors (SAI and Evap) were incomplete. After messing around looking for SAI leaks, doing all the driving steps, no luck. I was a month away from retest so I decided for first time to go to an Indie. They found issues with evap and made the repairs. When I picked up the car the evap and SAI were still incomplete. I have bluetooth ODBII and app on my phone so I could watch while I drive. On the way home from shop (10-15 miles) I took a quick spin up the Hwy and finally the Evap went complete. I had read that some states allow 1 monitor to be in incomplete status. For the 10 mins I had until I reached the inspection station, I was hoping I didn't get some CEL. I passed as NJ does allow 1 monitor not to complete. Now I'm bugged to figure out what's the issue with the SAI. I just better not wait until last week to fix
Get some type of reader so you can drive and monitor the Monitors. Then you will know when to take it to the station

Good Luck
Old 08-15-2018, 05:39 AM   #4

You should move to Texas where they just look at your car and pass it. Probably because half of us have concealed carry.....
CaymanGentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaymanGentry View Post
You should move to Texas where they just look at your car and pass it. Probably because half of us have concealed carry.....
LOL!! Galveston, here I come!
Old 08-15-2018, 05:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
If you're anxious, you could check out this recent thread where I detailed the drive cycle that will put your computer back into ready mode.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2F986Forum%2Ecom%2Fforums %2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D72869&share_tid=72869&share_fid=31135&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Awesome! Thanks, I'll complete this!
Old 08-15-2018, 06:52 AM   #7

If drive cycle fails try this. I fought this issue with SAI several years ago. On a cold start immediately rev to 2700 rpm and hold it steady during the 90 sec. Did this sitting in the garage parked. No need to drive it. This has worked several times for me.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #8

Or come to FL, no state vehicle inspections, you should see some of the rust boxes, death traps, and rolling tenements we have on the road here.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #9

We ain't got no tests in Sc ya'll!
2003 Boxster 986 2.7 Sold
1999 Boxster 986 2.5 Sold
Jim 'n' SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #10

Garage
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
Up here in Ontario we have a drive clean program to have the car smog tested before renewal tags are issued. I've had few problems with my S and it passed it's first test fine. Thinking I would be smart, I reset the ECU (there were no codes, but still, I went ahead). The car failed because the testing computer couldn't find most the sensors. So now I need to drive it, have the sensors etc. come back online, then take it back (I'll have to pay a small fee for a retest). Sometimes, when you're trying to be extra 'smart' ... you're being extra stupid.

Live and learn - hopefully you don't run into the same issue!

If you move to northern Ontario or west of Ottawa there is no etest. Just some parts of Ontario have that stupid test. Acton Ontario I remember working there some 50 years ago, it must have changed quite a bit.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaymanGentry View Post
In 2014 Houston (Harris County I guess) required the OBDII monitors to be ready and ok. We left in 2015 so no idea for today.

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote