Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2018, 05:34 AM   #1

Possible Vacuum Leak??

Car = 98/986

So I was getting misfire codes for cylinders 1-3.. I replaced plugs and coils for all three cylinders and cleared codes. Next day, misfires on all three again. After doing more research on the issue it seems like I may have a vacuum leak?? Am I moving in the right direction? Should I proceed to check for vacuum leaks or should I check other possible issues first?

Thanks

Cjamerson1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
Santa Barbara, CA

It's an easy test and may find your problem, or one you have and didn't know you had.

Get yourself a can of starting fluid and and with the engine idling, (carefully, it's flammable) spray small amounts of ether around the AOS hoses and intake manifold. If you get a change in the RPM (an increase) you've found a vacuum leak. Electrical tape is your friend while you wait to do the fix.

Woody gave me this suggestion on a problem of misfiring at high rpm that both the local P dealer and Indy shop wanted $800 to diagnose after paying them $160 each to get an estimate. (sorry guys, I'm not that stupid). Save your money and get the ether.

Good luck. It's definitely an enthusiast's car, and it helps the wallet if you can do a bit of wrenching.

Last edited by jvfante; 08-15-2018 at 04:45 PM. Reason: correction to statement
jvfante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #3
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I made a video about this on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/12shoes2
Jvvfante has the key here if you don’t want to watch my 10 minute adventure!

YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote