Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2018, 04:01 AM   #1

Found spring in drivers side footwell - what is it??

Hi 986Forum - hellos from Copenhagen

My first posting on this forum....

A few days ago I found a spring in the footwell of my 2003 Boxster S.
Cannot figure out where it came from.
Pedal assembly, seat, dashboard??
Have searched on assembly drawings but cannot find this spring anywhere.
Have driven very carefully since - everything seems normal.
Could have dropped into the car I guess but seems a bit far out!

Anyone familiar with this spring?
Thanks in advance!

Bruich10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:10 AM   #2

Clutch pedal helper spring?
Old 07-25-2018, 04:33 AM   #3

You mean there is a spring where I indicate on below sketch??
That would be a good explanation!

Old 07-25-2018, 05:18 AM   #4

I think I get it.
Searched on boost spring function on the net and found that a lot of Porsche owners remove this spring for added feel - although the pedal gets stiffer. A lot of discussion on rennlist actually.
The pedal on mine was always very stiff - I now believe the spring has been broken since I bought the car - 5 years ago.

So now I do not need to worry - I am used to the stiff pedal and I do not need to try to get into the nasty upside down position to fix anything....

Thanks for hinting the source VeryRed997!
Old 07-25-2018, 07:02 AM   #5

so, I've never understood this. Without the spring does it change the clutch engagement height at all? Mine engages at a point with pedal all the way out with hardly any play but does not slip.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #6

Would not think it changes anything in the geometry.
It is merely acting as an aid to make the pedal less heavy - if I have understood it correctly....

The spring i depicted at the beginning of this thread - is ot the full spring or only part of it - anyone knows?
Old 07-25-2018, 09:09 AM   #7

Part of it. That is broken. The stock spring is very heavy and gives sort of a vague feel to the clutch. This has been discussed here before. PM me, I have a few of the recommended lighter springs that work as a nice replacement. Not a Porsche part, but works great and the clutch pedal feel is 100% better. Do a search on the job/helper spring and take a look. It's not hard to change out, but it is a bit fiddly and there isn't a ton of room. Took me about 20 minutes to swap, taking my time, with beverages in between contortion moves. Of course, if you like the feel of the clutch currently just get the Porsche spring and go to town.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:39 PM   #8

I will leave it for now and monitor how it feels.
At some point i may get back to you on that Geof3!
Old 07-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruich10 View Post
I will leave it for now and monitor how it feels.
At some point i may get back to you on that Geof3!
Or, just go ahead and order a new helper spring assembly. Pelican Parts number 996-423-081-19-M100
Old 07-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #10

Thanks!
Will keep in mind!!
Old 07-25-2018, 04:17 PM   #11

Lighter replacement spring keeps cruise control working by insuring pedal returns to switch and removes side to side play. Heavy stock spring makes it more difficult to modulate clutch as it kills pedal feel.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:24 PM   #12

Garage
I was going to mention that removing the spring makes the pedal return sloppy, and that affects the cruise control switch. I have a broken spring and occasionally I have to lift the clutch pedal with my foot to get the cruise control to engage.

I have the replacement spring and its on my project list. :-)
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:04 AM   #13

Thanks for input - much appreciated.
I will leave the broken spring as it is and rather attend to replacing the broken rear muffler with a Brombacher Sound that I got delivered from Germany yesterday....
Exciting!
Old 07-27-2018, 12:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for input - much appreciated.
I will leave the broken spring as it is and rather attend to replacing the broken rear muffler with a Brombacher Sound that I got delivered from Germany yesterday....
Exciting!
If its the helper spring Id leave it. When I bought my 2000S I thought the pedal was heavy, it wasnt I was just too used to driving our family Passat which has zero feel on any of the controls.

Anyways I bought a new helper spring and had a go at fitting it. Its not as easy as tutorials make out. Working upside down and in a very very confined space. I gave up in the end and so did the garage I took it too for them to have a go.

Its at the back of the kitchen drawer now were it has been for over 2 years now.
YellowS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:33 AM   #15
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowS2000 View Post
Its not as easy as tutorials make out. Working upside down and in a very very confined space.
I just did this yesterday afternoon. Needless to say I only got the spring out and didn't put everything else back yet.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowS2000 View Post
If its the helper spring Id leave it. When I bought my 2000S I thought the pedal was heavy, it wasnt I was just too used to driving our family Passat which has zero feel on any of the controls.

Anyways I bought a new helper spring and had a go at fitting it. Its not as easy as tutorials make out. Working upside down and in a very very confined space. I gave up in the end and so did the garage I took it too for them to have a go.

Its at the back of the kitchen drawer now were it has been for over 2 years now.

Sometimes doing nothing is the right thing to do.....
Old 07-29-2018, 08:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Lighter replacement spring keeps cruise control working by insuring pedal returns to switch and removes side to side play. Heavy stock spring makes it more difficult to modulate clutch as it kills pedal feel.
The more I am thinking about the function of this spring - the more confused I get.
Let me describe how I think it is:
The spring is pre-loaded (meaning compressed) in the resting position - must be.
By pushing the pedal the spring gets more compressed and hence pushes back on your foot?! And when you let go of the pedal the spring makes sure that the pedal returns to rest position and touching the cruise control switch.
I am quite confident this is how it must work.
But I am far from sure.

My statement somewhere else in the thread that the pedal is hard to operate due to the spring being broken makes no sense at all. Must be due to something else....
I think my previous understanding of the spring function was to assist the foot - no now I get confused again

Heeelp!
Old 07-29-2018, 08:06 AM   #18

Quote:
The more I am thinking about the function of this spring - the more confused I get.
Let me describe how I think it is:
The spring is pre-loaded (meaning compressed) in the resting position - must be.
By pushing the pedal the spring gets more compressed and hence pushes back on your foot?! And when you let go of the pedal the spring makes sure that the pedal returns to rest position and touching the cruise control switch.
I am quite confident this is how it must work.
But I am far from sure.

My statement somewhere else in the thread that the pedal is hard to operate due to the spring being broken makes no sense at all. Must be due to something else....
I think my previous understanding of the spring function was to assist the foot - no now I get confused again

Heeelp!
No, it’s the other way around. Both ends of the spring are fixed and the spring expands as you press the clutch and essentially pulls the pedal back. With part of your spring on the floor, it is most likely the entire mechanism is broken (just plastic) and the whole thing may need to be replaced.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
No, it’s the other way around. Both ends of the spring are fixed and the spring expands as you press the clutch and essentially pulls the pedal back. With part of your spring on the floor, it is most likely the entire mechanism is broken (just plastic) and the whole thing may need to be replaced.
Still confused but on a high level.
So that means my first assumption was right?
But then i do not see how it at the same time can assist the pedal to go back and meet the cc switch??

I wish i could see a drawing of the pedal assembly from the side so i could see exactly what point moves where around the axis of the pedal - the exploded view earlier in the thread is difficult to interpret.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #20

clutch mods
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/343297-improved-clutch-action-dramatically.html

WillH is offline   Reply With Quote