986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Found spring in drivers side footwell - what is it?? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/72861-found-spring-drivers-side-footwell-what.html)

Bruich10 07-25-2018 04:01 AM

Found spring in drivers side footwell - what is it??

Hi 986Forum - hellos from Copenhagen

My first posting on this forum....

A few days ago I found a spring in the footwell of my 2003 Boxster S.
Cannot figure out where it came from.
Pedal assembly, seat, dashboard??
Have searched on assembly drawings but cannot find this spring anywhere.
Have driven very carefully since - everything seems normal.
Could have dropped into the car I guess but seems a bit far out!

Anyone familiar with this spring?
Thanks in advance!

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1532519732.jpg

VeryRed997 07-25-2018 04:10 AM

Clutch pedal helper spring?

Bruich10 07-25-2018 04:33 AM

You mean there is a spring where I indicate on below sketch??
That would be a good explanation!

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1532521934.jpg

Bruich10 07-25-2018 05:18 AM

I think I get it.
Searched on boost spring function on the net and found that a lot of Porsche owners remove this spring for added feel - although the pedal gets stiffer. A lot of discussion on rennlist actually.
The pedal on mine was always very stiff - I now believe the spring has been broken since I bought the car - 5 years ago.

So now I do not need to worry - I am used to the stiff pedal and I do not need to try to get into the nasty upside down position to fix anything....

Thanks for hinting the source VeryRed997!

Lapister 07-25-2018 07:02 AM

so, I've never understood this. Without the spring does it change the clutch engagement height at all? Mine engages at a point with pedal all the way out with hardly any play but does not slip.

Bruich10 07-25-2018 07:50 AM

Would not think it changes anything in the geometry.
It is merely acting as an aid to make the pedal less heavy - if I have understood it correctly....

The spring i depicted at the beginning of this thread - is ot the full spring or only part of it - anyone knows?

Geof3 07-25-2018 09:09 AM

Part of it. That is broken. The stock spring is very heavy and gives sort of a vague feel to the clutch. This has been discussed here before. PM me, I have a few of the recommended lighter springs that work as a nice replacement. Not a Porsche part, but works great and the clutch pedal feel is 100% better. Do a search on the job/helper spring and take a look. It's not hard to change out, but it is a bit fiddly and there isn't a ton of room. Took me about 20 minutes to swap, taking my time, with beverages in between contortion moves. Of course, if you like the feel of the clutch currently just get the Porsche spring and go to town.

Bruich10 07-25-2018 01:39 PM

I will leave it for now and monitor how it feels.
At some point i may get back to you on that Geof3!

VeryRed997 07-25-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruich10 (Post 576030)
I will leave it for now and monitor how it feels.
At some point i may get back to you on that Geof3!

Or, just go ahead and order a new helper spring assembly. Pelican Parts number 996-423-081-19-M100

Bruich10 07-25-2018 02:15 PM

Thanks!
Will keep in mind!!

WillH 07-25-2018 04:17 PM

Lighter replacement spring keeps cruise control working by insuring pedal returns to switch and removes side to side play. Heavy stock spring makes it more difficult to modulate clutch as it kills pedal feel.

Anker 07-25-2018 05:24 PM

I was going to mention that removing the spring makes the pedal return sloppy, and that affects the cruise control switch. I have a broken spring and occasionally I have to lift the clutch pedal with my foot to get the cruise control to engage.

I have the replacement spring and its on my project list. :-)

Bruich10 07-26-2018 10:04 AM

Thanks for input - much appreciated.
I will leave the broken spring as it is and rather attend to replacing the broken rear muffler with a Brombacher Sound that I got delivered from Germany yesterday....
Exciting!

YellowS2000 07-27-2018 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruich10 (Post 576077)
Thanks for input - much appreciated.
I will leave the broken spring as it is and rather attend to replacing the broken rear muffler with a Brombacher Sound that I got delivered from Germany yesterday....
Exciting!

If its the helper spring Id leave it. When I bought my 2000S I thought the pedal was heavy, it wasnt I was just too used to driving our family Passat which has zero feel on any of the controls.

Anyways I bought a new helper spring and had a go at fitting it. Its not as easy as tutorials make out. Working upside down and in a very very confined space. I gave up in the end and so did the garage I took it too for them to have a go.

Its at the back of the kitchen drawer now were it has been for over 2 years now.

Deserion 07-27-2018 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowS2000 (Post 576112)
Its not as easy as tutorials make out. Working upside down and in a very very confined space.

I just did this yesterday afternoon. Needless to say I only got the spring out and didn't put everything else back yet. :cheers:

Bruich10 07-27-2018 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowS2000 (Post 576112)
If its the helper spring Id leave it. When I bought my 2000S I thought the pedal was heavy, it wasnt I was just too used to driving our family Passat which has zero feel on any of the controls.

Anyways I bought a new helper spring and had a go at fitting it. Its not as easy as tutorials make out. Working upside down and in a very very confined space. I gave up in the end and so did the garage I took it too for them to have a go.

Its at the back of the kitchen drawer now were it has been for over 2 years now.

Sometimes doing nothing is the right thing to do.....

Bruich10 07-29-2018 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillH (Post 576042)
Lighter replacement spring keeps cruise control working by insuring pedal returns to switch and removes side to side play. Heavy stock spring makes it more difficult to modulate clutch as it kills pedal feel.

The more I am thinking about the function of this spring - the more confused I get.
Let me describe how I think it is:
The spring is pre-loaded (meaning compressed) in the resting position - must be.
By pushing the pedal the spring gets more compressed and hence pushes back on your foot?! And when you let go of the pedal the spring makes sure that the pedal returns to rest position and touching the cruise control switch.
I am quite confident this is how it must work.
But I am far from sure.

My statement somewhere else in the thread that the pedal is hard to operate due to the spring being broken makes no sense at all. Must be due to something else....
I think my previous understanding of the spring function was to assist the foot - no now I get confused again

Heeelp!

Geof3 07-29-2018 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruich10 (Post 576266)
The more I am thinking about the function of this spring - the more confused I get.
Let me describe how I think it is:
The spring is pre-loaded (meaning compressed) in the resting position - must be.
By pushing the pedal the spring gets more compressed and hence pushes back on your foot?! And when you let go of the pedal the spring makes sure that the pedal returns to rest position and touching the cruise control switch.
I am quite confident this is how it must work.
But I am far from sure.

My statement somewhere else in the thread that the pedal is hard to operate due to the spring being broken makes no sense at all. Must be due to something else....
I think my previous understanding of the spring function was to assist the foot - no now I get confused again

Heeelp!

No, it’s the other way around. Both ends of the spring are fixed and the spring expands as you press the clutch and essentially pulls the pedal back. With part of your spring on the floor, it is most likely the entire mechanism is broken (just plastic) and the whole thing may need to be replaced.

Bruich10 07-29-2018 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geof3 (Post 576267)
No, it’s the other way around. Both ends of the spring are fixed and the spring expands as you press the clutch and essentially pulls the pedal back. With part of your spring on the floor, it is most likely the entire mechanism is broken (just plastic) and the whole thing may need to be replaced.

Still confused but on a high level.
So that means my first assumption was right?
But then i do not see how it at the same time can assist the pedal to go back and meet the cc switch??

I wish i could see a drawing of the pedal assembly from the side so i could see exactly what point moves where around the axis of the pedal - the exploded view earlier in the thread is difficult to interpret.

WillH 07-29-2018 09:03 AM

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/55610-clutch-mods.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/343297-improved-clutch-action-dramatically.html