Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #1

Engine Motor Mount

I have been looking, but have not found any writeups on diy engine mount bushing/insert removal/press. I don't have access to a hydraulic press, and have one on order, as I have been starting to experience issues going into first, and after sitting overnight, a slight "clunk" when going in reverse. Better safe than sorry for a $20.00 part.

Will a 3 prong gear puller (ie, Harbor Freight) do?

Or does anyone know of somewhere I could have bush pulled/pressed in Orlando Fl (Winter Park) area, on a Saturday?

Thanks in advance.

Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiglitz View Post
I have been looking, but have not found any writeups on diy engine mount bushing/insert removal/press. I don't have access to a hydraulic press, and have one on order, as I have been starting to experience issues going into first, and after sitting overnight, a slight "clunk" when going in reverse. Better safe than sorry for a $20.00 part.

Will a 3 prong gear puller (ie, Harbor Freight) do?

Or does anyone know of somewhere I could have bush pulled/pressed in Orlando Fl (Winter Park) area, on a Saturday?

Thanks in advance.
About any machine shop can do it. If your's is badly torn, best download and print a pic of the mount orientation. I think mine was ready overnight.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #3

I don't really think a 3 prong will do it. I have a hydraulic press and used that to do mine.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #4

three prong won't work on such a mount.

I used a reciprocating saw to cut the bushing shell, chiseled it a bit, and it fell out.

Heated the mount bracket in oven, put mount in freezer. Then used a sledge and a big socket to pound in a new bushing.

Somewhat of any ass pain, but it worked
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:38 AM   #5
1999 base

Garage
you need this tool
https://www.agatools.com/tool/porsche-transmission-tools?gclid=CjwKCAjwyrvaBRACEiwAcyuzREsNte7-2NZd21nr9aCaw3-NBwwm-_VqT1E_NaOsFoHlB-a-czUxkRoCl9EQAvD_BwE
or a shop press using a tube in the correct diameter.
there is a DIY on the pelican website.
i never used the tool above (yet) but i have it, and you can borrow it if you want.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I'll be doing mine in the near future (I have the insert on my workbench) and was planning on using my vise (will also freeze the insert).
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #7
MWS

I've heard tales of using 2 sockets (one on each end) with one matching the diameter of the housing and one matching the diameter of the bushing (or combination of socket and washer on bushing side) then running a threaded rod (or bolt) through both the sockets, add nuts to both ends, tighten....and like magic, the bushing is extracted.

Never tried it, but I would first if I ever needed to do such and extraction. The only problem I see with this is potentially deforming the housing...but then again, it's such a simple idea I'm sure it doesn't work...
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #8

Hacksaw a section out of the old one and it comes right out. Vice to press new one in. Don’t forget to double check orientation beforehand.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
I've heard tales of using 2 sockets (one on each end) with one matching the diameter of the housing and one matching the diameter of the bushing (or combination of socket and washer on bushing side) then running a threaded rod (or bolt) through both the sockets, add nuts to both ends, tighten....and like magic, the bushing is extracted.

Never tried it, but I would first if I ever needed to do such and extraction. The only problem I see with this is potentially deforming the housing...but then again, it's such a simple idea I'm sure it doesn't work...
Using a socket can work, but we are talking a big freaking socket, would be easier to just take it to any shop. I replaced the entire unit, it’s not expensive and you get the updated 997 carrier. One and done. I doubt I will ever have to touch it again, unless my motor comes out for some reason...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #10

Job done

And what a PItA!

Had bush pressed at a tire shop. Paid more than I wanted $40, but it was my fifth of sixth stop finding someone that could do it.

Hindsight I prop ably should have just bitten the bullet and removed the two water hoses.
Hardest part by far was getting the top two bolts aligned onto the bracket. I also recommend taking off the bottom bracket studs off instead of just the nuts.

As the day went on, it definitely got harder to squeeze under the car.

Felt like a contortionist

Shop that swapped bush said the one he pulled was fine, but there was actually a third of the rubber missing. Car definitely feels tighter.

Patience is a must if doing this job
Old 07-23-2018, 02:37 AM   #11

Guy that pressed the bush said that there was nothing wrong with the existing one....

Opinions??

Old bush:

I pondered either just filling that one with poly, OR adding poly to the new one, but for once decided to leave well enough alone and just replace it.

Not a huge difference, but noticeable, and smoother.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:42 AM   #12
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yeah...I'm pretty sure that one was shot.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:52 PM   #13

Yeah, looks dead. My middle mount basically fell out. Completely gone.

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote