Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2021, 01:33 PM   #1

02 base suspension refresh

Hello,
Couple of weeks ago I picked up a 2002 base with sport touring package (P10) and 17” sport classic 17” wheels (XRA). Car had 76k miles and since I took ownership I’ve put on 2k miles on the car. It’s safe to say I love it so far. I’ve added ECS 18mm rear and 15mm front spacers with extended lugs. I also ordered Godspeed coilovers since factory shocks are little long in the tooth. To compliment that ordered new front and rear sway bar links and sway bar bushings.

I am thinking about ordering a front and rear suspension refresh kit from FCP euro. They list two different options for the front depending on the steering rack that is installed. How do I find out which kit fits my car? Any other options I should be exploring when it comes to suspension, mainly control arms, tie rods, etc?

I will never track this car however I am so fortunate to be living in an area with great roads and Blueridge parkway is 10 minutes from my home.

Thank you all for your advice.

I’ve also ordered an oil kit, spark plugs, eBay headers and racewerks 200 cell secondary pipes with their V2 brushed exhaust. If it is too loud I plan on throwing an S muffler.

Car has a newer clutch and IMS, RMS (last 20k miles).

z_wwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:13 PM   #2

So nobody knows how I can figure out which kit to buy? How can I tell which steering rack I have?
Old 06-30-2021, 07:22 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_wwrecker View Post
So nobody knows how I can figure out which kit to buy? How can I tell which steering rack I have?
Here's the page from the parts catalog, you can call the part dept. at the dealer to see what one you have.

Here's the parts catalog
https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/usa/986_USA_KATALOG.pdf
Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper7821 View Post
Here's the page from the parts catalog, you can call the part dept. at the dealer to see what one you have.

Here's the parts catalog
https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/usa/986_USA_KATALOG.pdf
Thank you Jasper. For anyone else wandering it is kit1
Old 06-30-2021, 03:45 PM   #5

No idea why the steering rack will matter for anything suspension related, but, there is just 1 rack for these cars. Only difference is revision numbers.

As far as suspension...It's like asking which oil to use. Ask 10 people and you will get 20 different answers.

My opinion, going with a coilover for a daily driver is a waste of money Bilsteins are stock. Koni Sport is the upgrade and Koni Red are the equivalent of base stock. With coilovers expect your car to be lowered...some like it, some dont but I wouldn't expect the car to handle any better. Koni sport is a waste in the rear as it is almost impossible to adjust them once installed.

For a non dedicated track car you can't go wrong with Koni red all the way around. Other option would be red in the rear & sport up front.

Again, just an opinion but based on real world on the road experience & track experience.

I also suggest download the Porsche PET from their site. It will have all the part numbers and diagrams on it like the picture above.

2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote