Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2006, 06:50 AM   #1

Year Round Boxster

Hi everyone,

Just bought a babied 2002 as my year-round daily driver. I'm originally from northern New England, so the winters here in the mid-Atlantic don't really scare me off too much.

I just picked up a dedicated set of winter wheels with Pirelli SnowSport 240s on them.

Now I'm debating whether I should pick up a hardtop or the GAHH glass window soft-top upgrade. I guess my main goal is to have a defrostable rear window that I can't easily destroy with a snow brush. I've seen some pretty good deals out there on used hardtops, but I'm also in an apartment, so storage during the warmer months wouldn't be easy.

Any comments from folks who have experience with either or both?
Also, any other winterizing notes from other all-seasoners?

Thanks.

fishage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:33 AM   #2

I haven't exactly "been there"; I bought my Boxster in April. Also, we usually have less than 3 snow events a year in Central Virginia so the conditions are generally not as sloppy as you experience. I'm not planning to drive my Boxster in ice and snow, so I'm not purchasing as set of wheels and snow tires.

On the other hand, I found a good deal on a used hardtop so I decided to buy it for winter use. As you said, the hardtop gives you a rear defroster (as would the GAHH top) and it will shield the soft top - especially the rear window from the winter weather. I only paid $610 for my hardtop, so the way I look at it, if I can avoid replacing my soft top, the hardtop will pay for itself. I have a one car garage that my wife uses, so I'm storing the hardtop on a hoist. That option is probably not available to you in an apartment, so you will probably want to consider if you can accomodate a rolling cart. If you need to move the hardtop for storage purposes, you will need someone to help you. It is not that heavy, but it is awkward to handle.

I've heard that Boxsters are relatively good in snow as long as the snow is light enough to permit some ground clearance. I assume that Porsche engineers are familiar with winter weather and would take it into account when designing the car.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 09-03-2006 at 08:39 AM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:03 AM   #3

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. this car performs *spectacularly* in the winter. Assuming you have winter tires on, of course. Do the 2002 cars have the traction control? I never tried turning it off in the winter but I'm sure it made a big difference in controlability. Ok.. that's a lie.. I did turn it off once in an empty, snow-covered parking lot one night.. I just couldn't resist.. then the cops showed up... but that's another story altogether.

As to your questions about the roof.. I can't say since my car already has the glass rear window. I didn't bother with the hard top but I rarely parked it outside for long enough for snow/ice to build up on the roof. If you are going to then maybe a hard top would be a wise investment.. though storage in the summer is an issue worth considering. The car (or rather my car) is *very* warm in the winter. Probably the size of the cabin and the fact that you're sitting right in front of the engine are the culprits there.

Enjoy!
berj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:37 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

I do have the traction control. I'm pretty confident as far as traction goes since I have that, the 4 snows, and if it comes to it... I could toss a couple sandbags in the trunks. I've driven so much in snow throughout my life that I'm not really worried about my abilities. (Went to school in the White Mountains, grew up just south of there). I also have a solid game plan for commuting with straight major roads, and a relatively short commute.

The issue really is the defrosting. I've seen a couple people say the cabin heats up quick, so hopefully that'll be good enough to keep stuff from freezing, and Prestone de-icer spray will quickly get me going initially.

Maybe I'll try it out this winter and make my decision for the future in the spring when hardtops should be cheap again.

Thanks again.
fishage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:18 PM   #5

Smile

With four snow tires, traction will not be an issue. Snow height will be, as you will get wedged from the bottom and go nowhere.

So, deep snow is out.

The hardtop is toasty and of course, secure. The downside is putting it on and off and storing it.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote