Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2018, 05:26 AM   #1

IMS shaft not aligning to case bore 2000S

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 2000S motor. I installed the crank carrier but the intermediate shaft is not lining up with the case bore. It's like the timing chain is a link or 2 too short. I had to get a donor crankshaft, but sprocket is same size as original. I tried both new and original chain with same result. I even installed without tensioner arm and still doesn't make it. I checked IMS and it is straight. Crank carrier is fully seated on dowels.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

since95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by since95 View Post
I'm in the process of rebuilding my 2000S motor. I installed the crank carrier but the intermediate shaft is not lining up with the case bore. It's like the timing chain is a link or 2 too short. I had to get a donor crankshaft, but sprocket is same size as original. I tried both new and original chain with same result. I even installed without tensioner arm and still doesn't make it. I checked IMS and it is straight. Crank carrier is fully seated on dowels.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

Are all the components from the same engine? Reason I ask is that Porsche changed both the gears and chain design, and mixing them will cause this exact issue.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:59 AM   #3

Crank came from a donor motor. Seized a rod bearing due to oil starvation on track. So my crank has am over heated rod journal. I was told it was fine but needed to be ground to make sure it was straight. I bought the donor crank since I couldn't find oversized bearings

Old 06-30-2018, 08:42 AM   #4

Garage
https://www.europeanpartssolution.com/full-catalog/ This site has over size rod bearins. They are expensive .
gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Crank came from a donor motor. Seized a rod bearing due to oil starvation on track. So my crank has am over heated rod journal. I was told it was fine but needed to be ground to make sure it was straight. I bought the donor crank since I couldn't find oversized bearings

If you still have the old crank, do a close comparison of the chain gears, if they look different, you have mixed the chain types which will not work.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabedrummin View Post
https://www.europeanpartssolution.com/full-catalog/ This site has over size rod bearins. They are expensive .
Thanks, I found this after I ordered the crank. Still thought the crank was a way less expensive option until now at least.

I am sure based of what JFP said I mixed the chain types. I guess I need to figure out where to go from here. If I get the IMS from the donor engine I assume I need to change the cam chains and sprockets out to? Not even sure how to specify what chains I need??? I didn't see a distinction between chains when I ordered all my rebuild parts.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks, I found this after I ordered the crank. Still thought the crank was a way less expensive option until now at least.

I am sure based of what JFP said I mixed the chain types. I guess I need to figure out where to go from here. If I get the IMS from the donor engine I assume I need to change the cam chains and sprockets out to? Not even sure how to specify what chains I need??? I didn't see a distinction between chains when I ordered all my rebuild parts.

When Porsche changed the chains, they also changed all the chain gears as well, so using either design requires ALL matching gears on the cams was well in order for everything to align.

Read this and you will understand more: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/16-ENGINE-Camshaft_Swap_and_Chain_Tensioner/Gp1800.pdf

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-01-2018 at 07:15 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #8
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Was this change an attempt to deal with the start of the IMS bearing failures?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Was this change an attempt to deal with the start of the IMS bearing failures?
No, cost savings and to reduce chain noise.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #10

So I haven't had time to get back to my engine since I was on vaca the past week, but looking at the JFP link the 2 drive "sprockets" in the illustration look very different. One company had them listed as "sprocket style" and "paddle style" when I was purchasing the used crank. Will the updated style even fit a dual row chain on it?

Here are photos of the 2 cranks I have (sorry they are just photos I took documenting the teardown/rebuild):

original setup - dual chain sprocket on right side of crank

Here is the replacement crank - sprockets on left - look the same with 2 sprockets rather than the almost timing belt pulley look of the tooth type chain in the pelican link

image from Pelican link