Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
Porsche = 2 syllalbe word

Garage
brake wear light

HI guys, my brake wear light started coming on intermittently about 3 weeks ago. I finally got around to replacing the brake pads. I started by inspecting the rears ansd saw that the pads were really low so I replaced just the rear. The drivers side was the worst with the pad worn down to the sensor on each pad, the pass side was worn thru too but not quite as far as the drivers side. I inspected the wear sensors on both side and neither sensor showed any signs of damage. So I took for a test spin and the light came back on so I figured the fronts needed to be changed. So I replace the front pads even though they had pad left but they were close to the sensor but not thru left. Went for a test drive and the light comes right back on. So I had one new sensor and put that on the drivers side rear because that was where the most wear was, took it for a drive and the the light comes right on, came back inspected the pass side sensor again but it shows no sign of damage. Is there some type of reset I have to do to get the light turned off? Thanks in advance.

maddogxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
If you’ve worn into the sensor, it needs to be replaced for the light to go out.
Alternately if you’re cheap like me, you could strip and twist the ends together and seal them up with shrink tubing.
Zip tie whole works to the the back side of the strut to keep it out of the way of suspension parts and the rotating tire.
You should do an annual brake & suspension inspection anyway, so the wear sensors are kind of unnecessary.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Its very simple; as long as the wear sensor wire has continuity, the dash light is off. When continuity is broken, then the dash light turns on.

The little nub on the end of the brake wear sensor has a wire embedded in it and when it gets worn, then the wire is broken, electrical continuity is lost, and the dash light turns on.

Thus, there is no computer or electronics, so there is no reset. As Steve mentions above, you can simply cut the brake sensor wires and twist the ends of the wire together and the dash light should turn off. This is an easy way to check if the light bulb itself is working properly.

Otherwise, I'd check the wear sensor connector (where it plugs into the car wire harness), its could be loose or has some dirt or other contamination in it so its randomly losing continuity and causing the dash light to flicker.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote