Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2006, 06:42 PM   #1

987 20k service...how much?

I know this topic has been covered before and I did a cursory search for it, but I am using the free hotel computer and there is some weird dude behind me breathing heavy that is waiting to use the computer. I am taking Lola in for the 20k and Tucson Porsche is quoting between 650 and 700 clams...does that seem right to you all? The only thing they are doing is checking a bunch of stuff and changing the oil. I just changed the oil so that doesn't need to be done....I think I am getting robbed. What say you?

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:22 PM   #2

You are getting robbed ... but that's prolly about right from a dealer, assuming they don't actually find anything wrong.

I guess they've changed the maint. intervals on the newer cars, on my '99 it's 15k, 30k, etc, with the 30k a $1000 one. They change the plugs, you know.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:27 PM   #3

I posted my experience here, which didn't include oil change (it was free as I bought from the servicing dealer, Pioneer does that as a perk). Sounds like you're paying double. I don't believe a plug change is done at 20k on the 987.

987 - 20K Service - Report

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:44 PM   #4

They check some hoses and change the oil. Don't waste the money.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:25 AM   #5

Adam:
"They check some hoses and change the oil. Don't waste the money."

I thought skipping service voids the warranty, no?
Old 08-24-2006, 04:32 AM   #6

Dealer charged me $672 for the 30k on my 986 back in May.

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:28 AM   #7

i got it done for about $570 at my dealer. no sparkplugs are changed.
dezigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:10 AM   #8

I had 15k done by dealer for $531 total which included $15 in tax and 78 bucks to change the brake fluid. Mobile 1 was 5.75/qt.997 cabin air filter was 86!, air filter 48 and oill filter 27.

I think I bought my own oil filter for less than 15, but at least I got my warranty book stamped.

And I got a free class in how to do it myself for post warranty days.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:34 PM   #9

Here is the deal...minus the oil change it was $129.19. I told them I change my own oil (which I do at 7500 miles). With the oil change it would have added another 200.00. He did warn me though, that changing your own oil might have negative consequences if you ever have engine problems. Brucelee, your a dealer...what do you think about that? I buy my own oil at the PX, buy my filters from the dealer and take it to the local shop where they change my oil for $17. I have reciepts for all this stuff. Seems suspicious that changing your own oil would cause warranty problems if it ever came down to it. Let me know your thoughts.

By the way, they were quoting me 986 prices...apparently the 987s are much cheaper at the services.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 08-24-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
bmussatti

Hey Rail26, sounds like a scare tactic to me! Just make sure you save all your receipts for the oil and parts and labor. $200 for an oil change is steep, but I have heard of higher prices. $120 would be more equitable for an oil change. Offer him $250 for everything, and see what he says!
Old 08-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #11

I don't have the warranty book handy but -- legally speaking -- it may not be up to the dealer to decide what the warranty rules are. I have a feeling that somewhere in there the rules state that scheduled maintenance must be done with a Porsche dealer to keep the warranty valid. One can decide to change oil or do other maintenance more frequently elsewhere (on top of the scheduled service at the dealer) and I also wonder what that may do to the warranty. Can anybody throw more light on this?
Old 08-31-2006, 01:01 PM   #12
bmussatti

Hey Rail26, how did this all work out for you? What did you decide to have the dealer do? What did they actually do? This would be good info for your 987 brethren!
Old 08-31-2006, 01:58 PM   #13

Senor Bmus,

Here is what I did. I had them do the service which was 129 clams. I did not have them do the oil change. I plan on rolling the dice and if I have engine problems I have all the reciepts for the oil changes as well as receipts for the oil filters. If that doesn't suffice, well Porsche is really ****************ty with the way they are doing things. There is a shop here that services Porsche, but is not an authorized service center. I might start using them even though they are more expensive than my quick lube brethren because I can start a file on the car. That way I will have a lot of evidence in my corner should something go wrong. What do you guys think?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 08-31-2006, 02:05 PM   #14
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
Senor Bmus,

Here is what I did. I had them do the service which was 129 clams. I did not have them do the oil change. I plan on rolling the dice and if I have engine problems I have all the reciepts for the oil changes as well as receipts for the oil filters. If that doesn't suffice, well Porsche is really ****************ty with the way they are doing things. There is a shop here that services Porsche, but is not an authorized service center. I might start using them even though they are more expensive than my quick lube brethren because I can start a file on the car. That way I will have a lot of evidence in my corner should something go wrong. What do you guys think?

I think your fine!

What did the dealer do for $129??

Did they do any TSB stuff?
Old 08-31-2006, 03:02 PM   #15

Screw that....if doing your own work voids the warranty then Porsche can go F$%K themselves. Changing oil isn't rocket science...neither is anything else specified in the 15k/20k maintence.

Last edited by Adam; 08-31-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:30 PM   #16

Yeah, they did all the TSB stuff minus the windstop brackets. They have to order them. I don't know why they are changing those...maybe the new ones won't rattle? Anybody have that TSB done?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 09-01-2006, 02:36 AM   #17

That way I will have a lot of evidence in my corner should something go wrong. What do you guys think?

It all comes down to what you can prove and fairness. Good plan.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:44 AM   #18

jeffsquire:
"It all comes down to what you can prove and fairness. Good plan."

This doesn't inspire too much confidence. Having to prove that an "un-authorized" shop did the job right may be an uphill battle.

I have a feeling that the concept of an "authorized service shop" has to do with levels of quality and workmanship (checked and passed by whomever is offering the warranty -- Porsche, in this case). If I was offering the warranty, I would like to ensure that the car has been treated and maintained to a certain level of quality and workmanship. This is not to say that there aren't many "un-authorized" shops with similar or higher standards able to do the job much cheaper -- or even people doing their own maintenance and service at home much better and with more attention to detail -- but how is the warranty provider ever going to be sure about that in each particular case? (Refer to the recent Jiffy Lube story on this forum). Also, from a liability standpoint, it seems that the warranty provider would have much more recourse and pull with an "authorized" shop, when bad workmanship DOES occur. To conclude, I don't think Porsche may be setting these requirements JUST to be an a** or to make its dealers richer (although that may play a role, as well). There may be reasonable concerns on their side, as well.