View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 03:44 AM   #18
z12358

jeffsquire:
"It all comes down to what you can prove and fairness. Good plan."

This doesn't inspire too much confidence. Having to prove that an "un-authorized" shop did the job right may be an uphill battle.

I have a feeling that the concept of an "authorized service shop" has to do with levels of quality and workmanship (checked and passed by whomever is offering the warranty -- Porsche, in this case). If I was offering the warranty, I would like to ensure that the car has been treated and maintained to a certain level of quality and workmanship. This is not to say that there aren't many "un-authorized" shops with similar or higher standards able to do the job much cheaper -- or even people doing their own maintenance and service at home much better and with more attention to detail -- but how is the warranty provider ever going to be sure about that in each particular case? (Refer to the recent Jiffy Lube story on this forum). Also, from a liability standpoint, it seems that the warranty provider would have much more recourse and pull with an "authorized" shop, when bad workmanship DOES occur. To conclude, I don't think Porsche may be setting these requirements JUST to be an a** or to make its dealers richer (although that may play a role, as well). There may be reasonable concerns on their side, as well.