Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #1

drops of oil on the ground

hi friends, here to ask for help about a problem encountered on my boxster s.
I noticed there is a leak that wets the head gasket and tappet gasket, drops of oil on the ground.
My mechanic, after a quick glance, says it's a "secondary oil pump" (not the principal one) oring, is it a known problem?
He said that oil flows from the pump to head and then drips, it can be??
Thanks in advance to everyone
Please help me....

Boxter 986 S Year: 1999
alcubot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

There are multiple sources of oil leaks on a Boxster and oil has an uncanny ability to leak in one place, run down, and then drip from somewhere else entirely.

The best way to find where the oil is coming from is to clean it up and then inspect it daily until you find the exact source.

It is possible that oil is leaking from the cam covers but don't assume that this is true unless you know for sure. Two mechanics told me that the cam covers on my Boxster were leaking and it would cost $1400 to repair. After cleaning up the engine and inspecting it carefully, I found that the leak was actually caused by the spark plug tubes - which I replaced myself for about $60.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcubot View Post
hi friends, here to ask for help about a problem encountered on my boxster s.
I noticed there is a leak that wets the head gasket and tappet gasket, drops of oil on the ground.
My mechanic, after a quick glance, says it's a "secondary oil pump" (not the principal one) oring, is it a known problem?
He said that oil flows from the pump to head and then drips, it can be??
Please help me....
That's certainly a possible oil leak source. It is, however, an easy fix (in my opinion).
dlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
There are multiple sources of oil leaks on a Boxster and oil has an uncanny ability to leak in one place, run down, and then drip from somewhere else entirely.

The best way to find where the oil is coming from is to clean it up and then inspect it daily until you find the exact source.

It is possible that oil is leaking from the cam covers but don't assume that this is true unless you know for sure. Two mechanics told me that the cam covers on my Boxster were leaking and it would cost $1400 to repair. After cleaning up the engine and inspecting it carefully, I found that the leak was actually caused by the spark plug tubes - which I replaced myself for about $60.
I have only seen a few places I have seen Boxsters leak oil, RMS, Spark plug tubes, and cam plugs -- but those generally only if the valve covers have been removed and too much sealant used which gums up the oil galley and forces oil to find its way past the cam plugs. Lastly, the fill tube sometimes cracks.

Others may have observed different sources, but that's where I would look first.

Last edited by seningen; 06-11-2018 at 11:17 AM.
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:04 AM   #5

thank you so much for your advices, you would have the secondary pump code ?...I want to understand from the PET where it is located....here some photos of the leak... have you any suggestion more?...if there is the oring of the pump can i make the job alone?...is there any diy tutorial?...thank you in advance...

Old 06-12-2018, 08:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
+ 1 on Stone comments

First clean the engine thoroughly with engine degreaser and rinse it with "Low pressure" water and you should be able to identify the source of your leak
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:19 AM   #7

My mechanic, have changed the "secondary oil pump" oring, clean all...it seems ok...in this days i'll check the situation...hope that's all ok.....

Old 09-11-2018, 01:43 AM   #8

hi friends the drops from oil pump now are ok, but there is another problems, some drops around the oil cup nuts...here the photos...what do you think it can be?
p.s.: problem manifested after car stops 1 week

Old 09-11-2018, 11:54 PM   #9

have you any idea?

Old 09-12-2018, 05:33 AM   #10
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
have you any idea?
I have lots of ideas. My favorite one is that some oil had dripped onto the plastic panel in front of the engine earlier and has now run back to the front of the sump plate.
Another idea is that the sump plate was not properly sealed or torqued.
Another idea is that the front crank seal is seeping.

Recommendation:
Remove the engine access panel behind the seats.
Look for oil running down from above the drips.
Clean ALL of the oil that you can find.
Remove the plastic panel and clean it.
Run the engine to warm up, but do not drive it.
Look for drips.
Let the car sit for a day or two with the cover off, then look again for new drips.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
have you any idea?
Yes like 78F350 says…

First Clean everything well, then run the engine and you should be able to see the source, I guessing the AOS, or the accordion hose that connects the crank vent valve to the AOS.

Other possibility would be a leaking oil sump cover, again clean everything first…

PS: Use a can (or two) of engine degreaser and hose it off with "LOW pressure water" and you will be surprised of the results (tip: if you first hose down the floor, all the gunk from the engine will not stick to the floor and you should be able to hose it down easily afterwards

Last edited by Gilles; 09-12-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:40 AM   #12

finally i've replaced the oil pan seal, and now it seems ok...thank you at all!