Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2018, 04:37 AM   #1

Question about air filter and oil underneath

All,
I pulled the MAF sensor yesterday after getting a P0434 code. I followed the directions from Pelican. I noticed I did not have anything covering my air filter and my filter looked like the picture below. I just wanted to see if that was normal.

Also, I took some pics of the underside of the car. There is some oil residue. The only level is good. I checked it when I got it and it keeps showing good at startup. I have driven around 750 miles on it. I welcome anyone's thoughts about it. Thanks.

Also, please let me know if I have a cartridge type oil filter or spin on.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:42 AM   #2

Garage
The previous owner messed up the air induction by installing that air filter. Get it back to factory specs by removing that filter and reinstalling a proper airbox, filter and inlet tube.

You have a cartridge oil filter.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
The previous owner messed up the air induction by installing that air filter. Get it back to factory specs by removing that filter and reinstalling a proper airbox, filter and inlet tube.

You have a cartridge oil filter.
Anker,
Thank you for the reply (and I saw your other one about the oil fill tube). I thought it was messed up. I will have to figure out where to get an airbox.

Any thoughts on the oil underneath?

Chris

Last edited by TiberiusBoxster; 06-11-2018 at 05:53 AM.
TiberiusBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusBoxster View Post
Any thoughts on the oil underneath?
There are multiple sources of oil leaks on a Boxster and oil has an uncanny ability to leak in one place, run down, and then drip from somewhere else entirely.

The best way to find where the oil is coming from is to clean it up and then inspect it daily until you find the exact source.

Also, be prepared for a wrestling match to get the stock air box back into the engine compartment. Its a super tight fit such that many owners who remove it, cut the stock air box into pieces to get it out in the first place. Getting it back in can be done, just be patient and work at it methodically.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
There are multiple sources of oil leaks on a Boxster and oil has an uncanny ability to leak in one place, run down, and then drip from somewhere else entirely.

The best way to find where the oil is coming from is to clean it up and then inspect it daily until you find the exact source.

Also, be prepared for a wrestling match to get the stock air box back into the engine compartment. Its a super tight fit such that many owners who remove it, cut the stock air box into pieces to get it out in the first place. Getting it back in can be done, just be patient and work at it methodically.
Do you think the air filter was supposed to be a performance enhancer or just stupidity on the part of the PO?

Also, as far as cleaning the oil, I was thinking of using Purple Power on this to clean the oil. It is industrial grease and grime cleaner. Any concerns?

Thanks again.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #6

YOU should buy our hosts book on projects for your Boxster......https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_info/BK-145835.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu_jYBRD8ARIsAC3EGCKdEmNEQ NRG2R2pPHduVzOmcIIhKeisGa9UuyNhlBK9rDQ_Syx_fYIaAi4 mEALw_wcB

best $25 you will spend on the car.
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:46 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Do you think the air filter was supposed to be a performance enhancer or just stupidity on the part of the PO?
Let's give the PO the benefit of the doubt and say that he simply wanted a stronger engine intake sound.

Quote:
Also, as far as cleaning the oil, I was thinking of using Purple Power on this to clean the oil. It is industrial grease and grime cleaner. Any concerns?
I'm not personally familiar with Purple Power, but any regular degreaser should be fine.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfix View Post
Boxfix,
I plan to buy it. I have already used the online version. That is how I found that my air filter did not match the stock pic.

Thanks,
Old 06-25-2018, 08:18 AM   #9

Gents,
Is this the part I need to put the air filter back to stock? https://www.ebay.com/itm/98-04-Porsche-Boxster-986-Air-Intake-Filter-Cleaner-Housing-Airbox-Box-OEM-/162760571876?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-25-2018, 08:27 AM   #10

That’s the part you need to get it back to stock. Another thing you can do is install a 987 air box as an upgrade. I installed mine by cutting it up and reassembling it inside the car. There’s a write up on it on this forum and it’s easy as you don’t need to remove any manifolds.
986bsdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #11

considering you're getting a free MAF still in that too (2nd last pic) that's not a bad deal
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #12

I don't know that ebay seller - I usually get my used parts from Woody (forum member ItsNotaNova - 512-925-9171) or from ebay seller QualityPorscheParts if he doesn't have what I need. I like to buy my new parts from Pelican (1/2 my car is from Pelican!)

But that looks like a good deal. I would still try Woody first - he might be able to beat that price and he may have some advice on how to get it into your car...

Also...

That is the original oil filter assembly. The filter housing is made of a kind of plastic. It unscrews and there is a pleated paper element inside that presses up over a metal tube that sticks down, and the housing is screwed on over it.

An LN spin-on oil filter adapter would be a great upgrade... The bypass spring in the stock filter housing gets weak with age and can allow dirty oil to bypass the filter. Switching to the LN adapter and spin on filters fixes that. Plus, you'll be able to get new filters at your local NAPA or O'Reilly store... (and they'll cost less too)...
Old 06-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #13

"stock filter housing gets weak with age and can allow dirty oil to bypass the filter" ... or just buy a new housing with filter next time you do a change, it costs like $5 more than the filter alone.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
"stock filter housing gets weak with age and can allow dirty oil to bypass the filter" ... or just buy a new housing with filter next time you do a change, it costs like $5 more than the filter alone.
Yup. That works too.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:55 AM   #15

Thank you all for your replies. I wanted to make sure I got the correct part. IRT the oil filter, I will check into the spin on filter.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-26-2018, 11:03 PM   #16

Wow... that filter is nasty. As it is an oiled filter, it is possible the oil residue you have under could be from it. Your car will thank you for installing the proper airbox!

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote