Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2018, 04:29 PM   #1

Engine has'nt started in 8 years

Ok, looking for some help. I have a 1998 Boxster that I bought without much info about the engine. It's been sitting for 8 years. It appears to be in good shape. I replaced the keys, locks, immobilizer computer and ignition. Now I'm looking to see if the engine is any good. Is there a way to see if it's seized and what should I do before trying to start it if it's not seized. It has 61K on engine. My son and I are working on this together and are hoping for the best.

mykelamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:51 PM   #2

Clean out any old gas in the tank, and fuel system. Not sure if you can flush it some how, and you may already know to do that! Change the oil and filter as well.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:39 AM   #3
Beginner

Garage
The gasoline is shot. There is a fuel line qd under the car on the drivers side you can pull off then jump the pump relay to empty the tank. That's what I did in a similar circumstance.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:19 AM   #4
Rennzenn

Garage
First off, Put fresh oil in. Have a look at the oil and the oil filter for metal particles. If you've got visible metal, you've got problems. Next, pull all of the spark plugs and have a look at them. If you've got a borescope, have a peek at the cylinders. With all of the plugs out, you should be able to put a socket on the crankshaft bolt and turn the engine. Only go clockwise! The engine should turn pretty easily with the plugs out. Provided that goes well, put fresh plugs in and disconnect the fuel line. I'd change the fuel filter, so this is a pretty good place to disconnect the line. Anyway, what you want to do is get the engine turning with the starter but without firing. This will circulate the oil and build some oil pressure. It will also use the fuel pump to pump out all of the old fuel, so be prepared to catch it! If this goes well, connect up the fuel line, add some new fuel, and see if it fires up. Even with a new battery, you may need to have the car on a charger, as you may be spinning the engine a while as fuel pressure builds up. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2018, 05:31 AM   #5

Here in AZ, where old people go home to the north in the summer, it isn't uncommon for gas to go bad in 6 or 7 months. So you and your son should definitely completely change the gas, replace it with fresh premium and a pint of Techron to clean out varnish.

After 8 years, the oil might be okay, but do you really want to chance it? So at the very least, new synthetic oil 5w 30 or 40, and a new filter. Inspect the filter for shrapnel and plastic shiute.
Since you're working with your son, I might even pull the oil pan off for a look see.

Coolant might be okay, but plan to change it soon.

Brake fluid is probably due for a flush.

Inspect the brakes.

The tires are way past their expiration date, 6 years is pushing it.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:38 AM   #6

Garage
Change the oil, remove the spark plugs, replace the gas and hand crank the engine a couple of turns making sure you do it in the right direction. If that works crank it with the started to get oil into all the right places, then replace the coils and spark plugs and try to start it.

If you want to be really sure check the vacuum lines and the RMS and IMS seals before you do any driving.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:58 PM   #7

Ok, if it were mine (and others will no doubt disagree) I would...

1. drain the gas tank of all gasoline. It will have gone very very bad a long time ago. Be sure to have some kind of a seal-able gas safe container that you can put the old gas in, because believe me, it will smell really bad! (think really nasty turpentine!) As far as how to drain it, I'll defer to what others have posted.

2. Change the fuel filter. Be prepared to have some of that nasty gas drain down on you when you remove it (so have towels ready to catch the fuel). It's tucked up in the tunnel where rear wheel drive cars have their drive shafts. You have to remove the lines from it and then move it back to get it out. The procedure is documented in the 101 projects book I think (or you should be able to find it in the tech articles on the Pelican website). Once you have the filter changed, put at least 5 gallons of 93 grade gas in the tank.

3. Oil change. I run Joe Gibbs Racing DT40 in my car, but I'd use cheaper oil for the first couple of oil changes (say, Mobil 1 0W40 from Walmart). And of course, a new oil filter.

4. Next I would remove all the spark plugs. Then put a socket on the crankshaft bolt (remove the cover behind the seats to get a good shot at it) and manually crank the engine clockwise. It should turn fairly easily, but since it hasn't been run in a long time the pistons may resist a bit. Others haven't suggested this, but I'd probably give the cylinders a shot of some kind of light oil (or penetrating oil like PB Blaster) through the spark plug holes, just to lube up the cylinders. Not a lot, just a spritz, you don't want a hydro-lock situation later on, but just a little to wet them. Some if not most of it will come shooting out when you crank the engine using the starter later...

While you have that front engine cover off, replace the serpentine belt.

5. Then with the plugs out (and coil packs removed) I would crank it for 15 seconds. Pause, repeat. I'd do this a few times, with some time in between so you don't overheat the starter. This will get oil pumping throughout the engine. Cranking it like this with the plugs out should minimize wear on the connecting rod bearings and some of the other moving parts until oil can reach them.

6. Next I would drain and refill the coolant/anti-freeze (order a new water pump and thermostat once it's running).

7. Check the plugs and if they don't look too bad, I'd put them back in (and order new ones once it starts).

8. Try to start it.

There are other things you'll need to replace (like brake fluid, tires, air filter, wiper blades, front struts, etc) but you can worry about those once it's running.

Hope this helps

Bill
Old 06-12-2018, 01:07 AM   #8

Lol. You should make a punch list and print it out based off this thread, will ensure you hit the main things. I have a old Moto Guzzi that hadn’t been cranked in 20 years that after carb rebuild some miracle lube down the cylinders and new oil gas fired up smoking like hell but she ran. Point going slow methodical engines are pretty durable.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #9

So what happened? Did you get the engine started Mykelamy? We're all rooting for you, please let us know!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #10

Thank you

I'm going to try working on the car this weekend. I'm getting all the materials I need this week. Thank you all for your help and I'll keep you all posted.
Thank you,
Mykel
mykelamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykelamy View Post
I'm going to try working on the car this weekend. I'm getting all the materials I need this week. Thank you all for your help and I'll keep you all posted.
Thank you,
Mykel
We had a very low mileage car that had sat for many years have its valves varnished to the point where the valve stuck open, and when they tried to start the engine -- it bent several valves.

Not sure how you can check for that or prevent that -- but maybe someone can chime in for a method. Just hand turning the engine probably would not have worked unless it was done pulling all plugs and a very astute feel on the crank nut.

M

seningen is offline   Reply With Quote