View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 08:58 PM   #7
BirdDog

Ok, if it were mine (and others will no doubt disagree) I would...

1. drain the gas tank of all gasoline. It will have gone very very bad a long time ago. Be sure to have some kind of a seal-able gas safe container that you can put the old gas in, because believe me, it will smell really bad! (think really nasty turpentine!) As far as how to drain it, I'll defer to what others have posted.

2. Change the fuel filter. Be prepared to have some of that nasty gas drain down on you when you remove it (so have towels ready to catch the fuel). It's tucked up in the tunnel where rear wheel drive cars have their drive shafts. You have to remove the lines from it and then move it back to get it out. The procedure is documented in the 101 projects book I think (or you should be able to find it in the tech articles on the Pelican website). Once you have the filter changed, put at least 5 gallons of 93 grade gas in the tank.

3. Oil change. I run Joe Gibbs Racing DT40 in my car, but I'd use cheaper oil for the first couple of oil changes (say, Mobil 1 0W40 from Walmart). And of course, a new oil filter.

4. Next I would remove all the spark plugs. Then put a socket on the crankshaft bolt (remove the cover behind the seats to get a good shot at it) and manually crank the engine clockwise. It should turn fairly easily, but since it hasn't been run in a long time the pistons may resist a bit. Others haven't suggested this, but I'd probably give the cylinders a shot of some kind of light oil (or penetrating oil like PB Blaster) through the spark plug holes, just to lube up the cylinders. Not a lot, just a spritz, you don't want a hydro-lock situation later on, but just a little to wet them. Some if not most of it will come shooting out when you crank the engine using the starter later...

While you have that front engine cover off, replace the serpentine belt.

5. Then with the plugs out (and coil packs removed) I would crank it for 15 seconds. Pause, repeat. I'd do this a few times, with some time in between so you don't overheat the starter. This will get oil pumping throughout the engine. Cranking it like this with the plugs out should minimize wear on the connecting rod bearings and some of the other moving parts until oil can reach them.

6. Next I would drain and refill the coolant/anti-freeze (order a new water pump and thermostat once it's running).

7. Check the plugs and if they don't look too bad, I'd put them back in (and order new ones once it starts).

8. Try to start it.

There are other things you'll need to replace (like brake fluid, tires, air filter, wiper blades, front struts, etc) but you can worry about those once it's running.

Hope this helps

Bill