Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006, 01:04 PM   #1

3 spoke black wheel on Ebay

If any of you older boxster owners haven't upgraded to a 3 spoke and want to do it, here's a wheel going for cheap on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130019999663&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNA%3AUS%3A112&id=

All you'd need after this is the airbag, equally as hard to find inexpensively, but you gotta start somewhere!

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:13 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I've had this one on my watch list, so far the price looks good as long as it doesnt reach 200 bucks...wouldnt pay over 200 for a USED steering wheel...

I called a Porsche salvage yard here in Los angeles and its $500 for a airbag for the 3 spoke wheel!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #3

CJ, that's not a bad price for both... snag it!

www.mazdaporscheparts.com was selling the airbag for $350 alone.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:34 PM   #4

thanks, i looked up the airbag on the mazda site...$700

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 08-29-2006, 04:57 PM   #5

what a jerk adam30309 is....he bidded $179.39 in the last 6 seconds. He ended up paying over $200 after shipping and the seller "handling" fee. might as well let us have it and he could have bought a new one from the other ebay auctions.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 08-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #6

Carlos, that's how ebay works. The only bid that matters is the one placed in the very last seconds of the auction.

I always wait until there's 15 seconds left and then bid as much as I could fathom the item is worth to me and then walk away. No sense in letting anyone know you're interested by bidding earlier as it only makes them watch it more closely.

Sorry you lost this auction. When I see more of them I'll post it on the forum for you.

BTW, this was the best mod I have done on my car... makes me feel as if I'm driving a far younger boxster. Well, the wheel and the white gauges and aluminum trim rings altogether make it seem far younger, and more like an S.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
BTW, this was the best mod I have done on my car... makes me feel as if I'm driving a far younger boxster. Well, the wheel and the white gauges and aluminum trim rings altogether make it seem far younger, and more like an S.
Three spoke wheel? White face gauges? Aluminum trim rings? ...this all sounds vaguely familiar...
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:36 PM   #8

Hi,

This is in NO WAY directed specifically at Randall, who is a good Owner, adept Mechanic, valued Forum Member, and generally all-around Good Guy.

But, I cannot begin to tell you how averse I am to people alerting the Forum to items which may be for sale on eBay or similar auction sites. Something you have never, and will never, see me do.

eBay is a stacked deck. A deck which is stacked in favor of the Seller and eBay themselves. It is in their best interest to generate as much competition among potential bidders as possible. But, this competition is very much contrary to the best interest of any potential Buyer.

While I'm certain Randall is well-intentioned in alerting CJ_Boxster, and the List, to this item, he may well have failed to realize that there may already be any number of Forum Members who are watching this item, in hopes that no one drives up the Bid Price. So, instead of helping, one may actually have unwittingly aided the Seller (and eBay) by generating greater interest in the item, and actually hurt other fellow List Members.

I too saw this item last week, but remained mum for the reasons expressed here. If two Members coincidentally bid on the same item, that's the way it goes. But announcing such an item here can create bidders who would have otherwise not known of the item or intended to bid, to begin with.

And, many people less familiar with eBay, out of ignorance for the way it works, can drive the price up by bidding early and then dropping out of the bidding if the price rises too high. These people cause the eventual Buyer to pay more than they otherwise would have, again good for the Seller and eBay, but unecessarily bad for the Buyer and fellow Forum Member.

eBay used to be a place where one could acquire goods for as little as $0.05 on the dollar. Today, as people become more savvy, it's more like $0.50 to $0.60 on the dollar or more. There is enough competition on the site itself without adding to it on a Forum like this one.

The system should reward the astute Buyer who keeps his head low, diligently works their Watch List, and refrains from bidding early to discourage bidding wars.

I found a pristine 3-spoke sport steering wheel w/ colored crest airbag (from a totalled 6k mi. 996) for under $200 because it was improperly listed (listed as a 914 part) by a dismantler. I often search under broader categories for just this type of error. It was the responsibility of the Seller to see that it was listed properly to generate as much interest as possible, not mine, so I felt no compulsion to refrain from bidding or to alert the Seller.

I watched, waited, and bid with under a minute in the auction to win the item. Then, I sweated out the delivery, hoping the Seller didn't realize their multi-hundred dollar mistake, they didn't (but I see that their stuff now is competitively priced and properly listed, they've learned). My dilligence was rewarded.

But, if some well-intentioned Big Mouth (again, pointing no fingers at Randall) had alerted the group, all my good work would have gone for naught, the price would have risen and either I, or someone else, would have paid more just because someone who had no interest in the auction took it upon themselves to provide free advertising for the Seller here.

So, for everybody's sake, if you notice an item up for auction, and you have no interest in it yourself, I implore you to please keep it to yourself. This is often the best assistance you can render. Hope you understand...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 08-30-2006 at 11:56 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I've had this one on my watch list, so far the price looks good as long as it doesnt reach 200 bucks...wouldnt pay over 200 for a USED steering wheel...

I called a Porsche salvage yard here in Los angeles and its $500 for a airbag for the 3 spoke wheel!
Hi,

When purchasing a cosmetic item such as a Steering Wheel or other interior part from a Dismantler, proceed with caution.

Before I got my 3-spoke wheel on eBay in March of this year, I had purchased, and returned, 3 other wheels from various Dismantlers. None were too anxious to accept the return.

But, in each case, I got the name of the person I spoke to. I also informed them that I wasn't interested in a wheel with any blemishes. Only after being assured the wheels were in Like New condition did I agree to purchase them. Also, follow up with an email to that person recapping your phone conversation that the wheel was as they described in Like New condition, and ask them to acknowledge this in their reply. Also, always use a Credit Card for such a transaction.

When each arrived and was rejected by me for wear, scratches, and the like, (one Like New wheel was even missing one of the Tiptronic buttons - $320 from a Dealer), I called to return them. As I said, each dismantler was reluctant to accept the return, but because I had both date, time, and the name of the person I spoke to, and had their committment as to the condition of the wheel by email, not only was I able to return them, but I was able to get them to accept the return shipping charges. I merely stated that the item had been misrepresented.

Dismantlers can be a very good source of parts for these cars, so I don't want to discourage anyone from using them. Just be sure you follow some common sense practices to protect you from having to accept a lot of the junk many of these places sell as well. Hope this helps...

Old 08-30-2006, 09:26 AM   #10

I have been bidding on and buying Boxstir and Porsche stuff on ebay for 7 years.

What is worse is to find ut you are bidding against a Porsche owner you know. Happened to me several times. I now have a list of ebay user names for people I know so we do not bid against each other.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
I have been bidding on and buying Boxstir and Porsche stuff on ebay for 7 years.

What is worse is to find ut you are bidding against a Porsche owner you know. Happened to me several times. I now have a list of ebay user names for people I know so we do not bid against each other.
Hi,

We do the same thing in the Lotus Club. If the bidder simply wants the item as a spare, everyone has agreed to give 1st priority to an owner who actually needs the part to make or keep his car running. In 3 years, it has worked pretty well...