View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006, 09:36 PM   #8
MNBoxster

Hi,

This is in NO WAY directed specifically at Randall, who is a good Owner, adept Mechanic, valued Forum Member, and generally all-around Good Guy.

But, I cannot begin to tell you how averse I am to people alerting the Forum to items which may be for sale on eBay or similar auction sites. Something you have never, and will never, see me do.

eBay is a stacked deck. A deck which is stacked in favor of the Seller and eBay themselves. It is in their best interest to generate as much competition among potential bidders as possible. But, this competition is very much contrary to the best interest of any potential Buyer.

While I'm certain Randall is well-intentioned in alerting CJ_Boxster, and the List, to this item, he may well have failed to realize that there may already be any number of Forum Members who are watching this item, in hopes that no one drives up the Bid Price. So, instead of helping, one may actually have unwittingly aided the Seller (and eBay) by generating greater interest in the item, and actually hurt other fellow List Members.

I too saw this item last week, but remained mum for the reasons expressed here. If two Members coincidentally bid on the same item, that's the way it goes. But announcing such an item here can create bidders who would have otherwise not known of the item or intended to bid, to begin with.

And, many people less familiar with eBay, out of ignorance for the way it works, can drive the price up by bidding early and then dropping out of the bidding if the price rises too high. These people cause the eventual Buyer to pay more than they otherwise would have, again good for the Seller and eBay, but unecessarily bad for the Buyer and fellow Forum Member.

eBay used to be a place where one could acquire goods for as little as $0.05 on the dollar. Today, as people become more savvy, it's more like $0.50 to $0.60 on the dollar or more. There is enough competition on the site itself without adding to it on a Forum like this one.

The system should reward the astute Buyer who keeps his head low, diligently works their Watch List, and refrains from bidding early to discourage bidding wars.

I found a pristine 3-spoke sport steering wheel w/ colored crest airbag (from a totalled 6k mi. 996) for under $200 because it was improperly listed (listed as a 914 part) by a dismantler. I often search under broader categories for just this type of error. It was the responsibility of the Seller to see that it was listed properly to generate as much interest as possible, not mine, so I felt no compulsion to refrain from bidding or to alert the Seller.

I watched, waited, and bid with under a minute in the auction to win the item. Then, I sweated out the delivery, hoping the Seller didn't realize their multi-hundred dollar mistake, they didn't (but I see that their stuff now is competitively priced and properly listed, they've learned). My dilligence was rewarded.

But, if some well-intentioned Big Mouth (again, pointing no fingers at Randall) had alerted the group, all my good work would have gone for naught, the price would have risen and either I, or someone else, would have paid more just because someone who had no interest in the auction took it upon themselves to provide free advertising for the Seller here.

So, for everybody's sake, if you notice an item up for auction, and you have no interest in it yourself, I implore you to please keep it to yourself. This is often the best assistance you can render. Hope you understand...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 08-30-2006 at 11:56 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote