View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006, 10:29 PM   #9
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I've had this one on my watch list, so far the price looks good as long as it doesnt reach 200 bucks...wouldnt pay over 200 for a USED steering wheel...

I called a Porsche salvage yard here in Los angeles and its $500 for a airbag for the 3 spoke wheel!
Hi,

When purchasing a cosmetic item such as a Steering Wheel or other interior part from a Dismantler, proceed with caution.

Before I got my 3-spoke wheel on eBay in March of this year, I had purchased, and returned, 3 other wheels from various Dismantlers. None were too anxious to accept the return.

But, in each case, I got the name of the person I spoke to. I also informed them that I wasn't interested in a wheel with any blemishes. Only after being assured the wheels were in Like New condition did I agree to purchase them. Also, follow up with an email to that person recapping your phone conversation that the wheel was as they described in Like New condition, and ask them to acknowledge this in their reply. Also, always use a Credit Card for such a transaction.

When each arrived and was rejected by me for wear, scratches, and the like, (one Like New wheel was even missing one of the Tiptronic buttons - $320 from a Dealer), I called to return them. As I said, each dismantler was reluctant to accept the return, but because I had both date, time, and the name of the person I spoke to, and had their committment as to the condition of the wheel by email, not only was I able to return them, but I was able to get them to accept the return shipping charges. I merely stated that the item had been misrepresented.

Dismantlers can be a very good source of parts for these cars, so I don't want to discourage anyone from using them. Just be sure you follow some common sense practices to protect you from having to accept a lot of the junk many of these places sell as well. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote