Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2006, 06:06 PM   #21

You're going to find the extra money for the wheel was well-spent when you compare it to the standard wheel that feels like it's plucked from a Chevy Cavalier.

longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander1
You're going to find the extra money for the wheel was well-spent when you compare it to the standard wheel that feels like it's plucked from a Chevy Cavalier.
man you guys have got to be kidding me on this one!!!! I have seen that nastyover bloated round wheel on some other pics and always wondered who you had to offend at porsche to end up with it in your car! ugly ugly ugly!!!!

I'll take the triangle, thanks
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:58 AM   #23

I'm reading some pretty strong opinions on the steering wheels. When I test drove both the base and the S (and the 997 coupe, back to back, in that order), both Boxsters had the base "triangle" wheel (I think the 997, too). Couldn't find anyting to complain about it both esthetically and functionally so an upgrade wouldn't have been on my list. The Box S I ended up getting (from inventory) ended up having the sport wheel (the one with thumb padding and a round center) and I am starting to appreciate it more each time I drive the car. It really feels very good in my hands and those thumb pads do help in involved driving with your hands locked in the 9-3 position.

On another note. Purely based on the test drive which was a perfect mix of straight driving and hilly twisties, I'd have still picked the Box S over the 997, even if the 997 sold at the same price to the Box S. Actually, after the 997 drive I was 100% sure that I was getting the Box S.

I believe that a not too optioned Box S (and especially the 07 with the 3.4L engine), if you can keep it well under $60k, is the best bang for the buck out there in the sports cars category, bar none. So, jcoari, congrats again on making a very wise decision.

Last edited by z12358; 08-31-2006 at 04:05 AM.
z12358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:44 AM   #24

thanks Super66 for the input, that sounds like my issue with the clutch, mostly from 1st to 2nd, sometime its jerky from 2nd to 3rd if clutch released too quickly, if anyone has a solution to this (will proper RPM match fix this?) , or can tell me its OK to release clutch this way, I will appreciate another experienced opinion...thanks
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Porsche's 2,000 mile break in period just seems way to long imo. Most cars have a 500-1,000 mile break in if that. The engine is run and dynoed at the Porsche factory as well according to their website i believe. I don't think driving like a granny and keeping it under 4k grand has any benefit. I'm not saying you should go out and do redline shifts in every gear all day long, but exceeding 4,200 rpm from time to time won't hurt it one bit. I don't know...anybody know why they specify such a high break in mileage?
Hi,

I have to disagree here. I think a proper break-in period is essential to having a car which is more trouble-free in years to come.

And, the break-in has as much to do with other systems in the car than just the engine. Proper wear patterns are established in the gears and CWP, sealed bearings have the opportunity to wear and distribute their lubrication throughout the bearings. The waterpump, alternator and PS pump establish wear patterns, the cooling system and engine get the chance to properly seal-up. Wheel bearings get worn in properly. Several mechanical parts get properly tempered, etc.

All these things contribute to more trouble-free motoring down the road, so to speak...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:59 AM   #26
1JB

Congratulations JOCARI you got a great set up. Don't sweat not getting 19" wheels or other options. I can assure you that many people who can afford more options end up with your set up because the certain amount of elegance in a clutter free set up. The car has a wonderful ride with 18"s and down the road additional options run the risk of more costly failures. It's all about the ride and man, oh man what a ride it is.

Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote