986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Just Purchased '07 Boxster S (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/7228-just-purchased-07-boxster-s.html)

jcoari 08-29-2006 04:13 PM

Just Purchased '07 Boxster S

Hey Everyone,

Just got back from the dealership today, and I'm the proud almost-owner of a 2007 Boxster S.

First, before I say anything else, I just want to send my appreciation out to everyone who posts on this thread. The information here was so important in helping me make a good decision on options, features, etc.....I look forward to joining the club of Boxster S owners. Cheers!

Now to the good stuff....

Options:
Basalt Black
Sand Beige Interior (seemed a good choice vs. black for SoCal)
Bose
Windstop
Bi-Xeons
Heated Seats
Leather Sport Steering Wheel (just really liked the feel, and since I'll be holding on to this all the time, decided to splurge here)

I suppose its your pretty typical no-frills set up, but that's all I could really justify given I was already at the very max of what I wanted to spend on a new car. I really like the look of the 19"s, and the car I test drove had a great ride with 19"s (non-PASM), but my ceiling was $60K, and I couldn't squeeze them in. Hopefully the ride feels crisp with 18"'s.

As for some other interesting details -- the dealer said it would be built in October, and I would have delivery late November. (I really don't know how I'm going to wait that long). I suppose 3 months is typical.

And as for price, after a couple rounds of negotiating, I got 7% off MSRP. I suppose that seems fair based on everything I've read. Its not the 5% over invoice that some might have been able to get, but its at least respectable.

Thanks again everyone, see you on the road soon.

Safe driving,
Jason

RandallNeighbour 08-29-2006 05:07 PM

If you think the 3 month wait is gonna be brutal, how will you feel when you have to putz around for the break in period?

I envy you. A boxster with a factory 3.4 in it. You are the man! Do post pics and write about your jaw dropping acceleration when you get it, ok? Some of us need to live vicariously through you.

z12358 08-29-2006 05:11 PM

Congrats Jason and welcome to the club. Good choices on the colors and options. Savor the wait and the delayed gratification.
Z.

boomer8800 08-29-2006 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
If you think the 3 month wait is gonna be brutal, how will you feel when you have to putz around for the break in period?

I hear ya, had mine going on 2 weeks and only have 400 miles on it. This break-in period is killing me. I keep hearing it call to me to punch it. But I hang at 4000RPMs max. Good luck with it cause the more I drive it the more I love it.

z12358 08-29-2006 05:56 PM

"...the more I drive it the more I love it."

Same thing here. After 3.5 months and 3k miles I still love it more each time I drive it. I also feel how the car gets smoother and more comfortable in its own skin, both mechanically and through sounds. The >4k rpm growl and push is addicting.

Z.

SD987 08-29-2006 06:47 PM

Congrats, I think you're the first boarder to purchase a 3.4.

Take it easy on us 05-06 S owners when you fly by ! :)

threpwood 08-29-2006 07:15 PM

Congratulations :cool: Please post a pic later and let us know how it feels!

Adam 08-29-2006 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

I envy you. A boxster with a factory 3.4 in it. You are the man! Do post pics and write about your jaw dropping acceleration when you get it, ok? Some of us need to live vicariously through you.

Porsche's 2,000 mile break in period just seems way to long imo. Most cars have a 500-1,000 mile break in if that. The engine is run and dynoed at the Porsche factory as well according to their website i believe. I don't think driving like a granny and keeping it under 4k grand has any benefit. I'm not saying you should go out and do redline shifts in every gear all day long, but exceeding 4,200 rpm from time to time won't hurt it one bit. I don't know...anybody know why they specify such a high break in mileage?

z12358 08-30-2006 04:09 AM

Forgot to ask, did you test drive the 07 S back to back with the 05/06 S, and if yes, what were your impressions? How noticable are the 6% engine size and 5% HP increases?
Z.

FIG 08-30-2006 04:32 AM

When I picked up my '01 Boxster, Porsche Melbourne had put a new motor in. On delivery I asked the question of "run-in", I was told that it is not necessary! Porsche "pre-run" them in, so he said. I was also told that Porsche say to run it in (in the manual), just to stop people killing themselves in the first few thousand miles :)

?????

paulv 08-30-2006 05:32 AM

jcoari,

Congrats and good luck. I'm planning on getting an 07 S myself -- probably ordering it in late Dec so I can have a spring delivery. I also agree -- this forum is a great place and I've been getting a lot of good info from people here.

Regards,
paul...

RandallNeighbour 08-30-2006 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
Anybody know why they specify such a high break in mileage?

Adam, I'm not positive on this, but I think there's a thread on this here that has some highly technical information about what happens during the break-in period and why Porsche recommends the mileage it does. You may want to do a thread search.

I know one thing... If I bought a new Porsche, I'd be planning to keep it for at least 10 years to make it worth the huge depreciation one takes on any high dollar car purchase. So, I'd want to follow the letter of the law so to speak, just to elongate the life of the engine.

z12358 08-30-2006 06:57 AM

Adam:
"Porsche's 2,000 mile break in period just seems way to long imo."

In absence of an obvious ulterior motive benefiting Porsche (and hurting me) I am inclined to trust what the manual suggests and reject everything else as hearsay. Besides, one extracts more pleasure by savoring and taking their time instead of gulping the whole lump of pleasure in all at once. As it turns out, the "Manuel" suggests that she prefers it too. :rolleyes:

jcoari 08-30-2006 09:22 AM

z12358:
Forgot to ask, did you test drive the 07 S back to back with the 05/06 S, and if yes, what were your impressions? How noticable are the 6% engine size and 5% HP increases?

I actually didn't test drive the two back to back. They only had an '07 tip, and I was only interested in a manual. When you start comparing manual '06 vs tip '07, there are too many performance variables to consider to get a true feel of the differences.

In a way, I think it was more a mind thing for me than anything else....although I do believe I would have been able to feel the torque slightly. I also considered the fact that when and if I decide to sell the car down the road, I'd like to have the bigger engine feature with an '07. Similar to if I went shopping today for used 911's, and was considering 99-01 (smaller engine) vs. 02-04 (bigger engine) model years.

From a break-in stand point, I do plan to go easy on this technical tour de force for the first couple thousand miles, but might do a little sampling of the higher revs from time to time. IMHO as long as the car is sufficiently and thoroughly warmed up, I'm not going to do any permanent damage if I take it 5-6k a few times before 2K miles. Would love to find that thread though that was mentioned about the tecnicalities of it all.

newt 08-30-2006 11:08 AM

How gentle with the clutch?

hello, this is my first post, and I just purchased my first ever porsche, a 2001 Speed Yellow Boxster S with only 7600 miles, 18" Porsche 10-spoke wheels, Pirelli P Zeros ..what a great car!! the handling is so tight, the smooth accelleration, ...great car!... anyway, you guys already know these are great cars, thats why you're here. ...my question: how gentle do I need to be with the clutch? , in order to transition smoothly thru the gears, I have to let the clutch out somewhat slowly, not REAL slowly, but I can't just pop my foot off between 1 and second for example, is this bad on the clutch? if I release the clutch very quickly the shift is jerky and seems harsh on the car, are my RPS wrong or am I OK lettign the clutch out a little slowly?

newt 08-30-2006 11:11 AM

hello, this is my first post, and I just purchased my first ever porsche, a 2001 Speed Yellow Boxster S with only 7600 miles, 18" Porsche 10-spoke wheels, Pirelli P Zeros ..what a great car!! the handling is so tight, the smooth accelleration, ...great car!... anyway, you guys already know these are great cars, thats why you're here. ...my question: how gentle do I need to be with the clutch? , in order to transition smoothly thru the gears, I have to let the clutch out somewhat slowly, not REAL slowly, but I can't just pop my foot off between 1 and second for example, is this bad on the clutch? if I release the clutch very quickly the shift is jerky and seems harsh on the car, are my RPMs wrong or am I OK letting the clutch out a little slowly?

newt 08-30-2006 11:12 AM

hello, this is my first post, and I just purchased my first ever Porsche, a 2001 Speed Yellow Boxster S with only 7600 miles, 18" Porsche 10-spoke wheels, Pirelli P Zeros ..what a great car!! the handling is so tight, the smooth accelleration, ...great car!... anyway, you guys already know these are great cars, thats why you're here. ...my question: how gentle do I need to be with the clutch? , in order to transition smoothly thru the gears, I have to let the clutch out somewhat slowly, not REAL slowly, but I can't just pop my foot off between 1 and second for example, is this bad on the clutch? if I release the clutch very quickly the shift is jerky and seems harsh on the car, are my RPMs wrong or am I OK letting the clutch out a little slowly?

super66 08-30-2006 11:43 AM

actually your 3rd post

Quote:

Originally Posted by newt
hello, this is my first post, and I just purchased my first ever Porsche, a 2001 Speed Yellow Boxster S with only 7600 miles, 18" Porsche 10-spoke wheels, Pirelli P Zeros ..what a great car!! the handling is so tight, the smooth accelleration, ...great car!... anyway, you guys already know these are great cars, thats why you're here. ...my question: how gentle do I need to be with the clutch? , in order to transition smoothly thru the gears, I have to let the clutch out somewhat slowly, not REAL slowly, but I can't just pop my foot off between 1 and second for example, is this bad on the clutch? if I release the clutch very quickly the shift is jerky and seems harsh on the car, are my RPMs wrong or am I OK letting the clutch out a little slowly?

posted three times :) but I'm having problems to with an error page....but I have an 05 box and I have the same thing, the shift from 1st to 2nd is ridiculously picky!! sometimes I wonder if I'm a complete idiot shifting.....the shift from 2nd to 3rd can everyonce in a while have a little jerk but I found on my car the clutch has to come out slowly for it to be smooth.....

UKBXSTR 08-30-2006 01:18 PM

Which steering wheel ? - the 3 spoke sports one is much nicer to hold than the standard triangular bossed one, and features the thumb grips. Not much smaller but the rim is a better thickness.

http://www.porsche-1.net/forums/uplo..._174_28108.jpg

There is also thicker version of the same wheel - they put extra layers onto the same rim to plump it up, and charge you mucho wonga for the priviledge.

jcoari 08-30-2006 03:28 PM

UKBXSTR wrote:
Which steering wheel ? - the 3 spoke sports one is much nicer to hold than the standard triangular bossed one, and features the thumb grips. Not much smaller but the rim is a better thickness.

It is the thicker sport steering wheel at $740, not the regular sport steering at $250. (although I'm sure that is great as well) They had it on a Cayman S and it felt really nice.