Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #1

seatbelt receptacle

Hi i have a 2002 boxster s and the airbag failure light is on the dash i am sure that i read somewhere that it could be to do with the seat belt receptacle is this right ? and if so where would be the best place to buy one from in the UK ? if not any ideas of what it could be would be of a huge help to me....many thanks in advance !!

Fungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungirl View Post
Hi i have a 2002 boxster s and the airbag failure light is on the dash i am sure that i read somewhere that it could be to do with the seat belt receptacle is this right ? and if so where would be the best place to buy one from in the UK ? if not any ideas of what it could be would be of a huge help to me....many thanks in advance !!
Unfortunately, the updated receptacles are dealer only items.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #3

i had the same issue, used some de-oxit and sprayed liberally in the buckle, let it dry, sprayed again. Used a handheld code reader to clear the light and it hasn't come back yet (knock on wood).

A lot of the times they are just dirty and need a good spraying.
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #4

In the US it was the subject of a Tech Service Bulletin summarized here which suggested that grounding was as often the issue. My '01 was in the shop 3 times for variations of the buckles, receptacles and grounding straps before it was resolved.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:18 PM   #5

Garage
The buckle sensor has wires that connect to a connector under the seat. Try taking the connector apart and cleaning it with a contact cleaner (spray) like dav9515 suggests.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:42 PM   #6

Just a reminder that if you have the drivers seat out and turn the ignition on, it will turn on the airbag warning light. This happened to me a couple of months ago when I installed the waterproof immobilizer case. Part of the installation process calls for a test of the systems related to the immobilizer. I chose not to drop the seat back in for the tests because I knew I could clear the light with my Durametric.

I've also had the light come on if I disconnect the battery (for maintenance). More often than not the light will come on when I reconnect the battery. In fact, I EXPECT it to come on when I reconnect the battery. If it doesn't I feel cheated! LOL
Old 05-17-2018, 03:49 AM   #7

seat belt receptacle

Many thanks guys will definitely have to give that a try as it seems to be the cheapest option to start with, excuse my ignorance here but being in the UK am i able to use any contact cleaner or should i be looking for something in particular ? i also saw on another site that someone mentioned disconnecting the battery first is this really necessary ?
Old 05-21-2018, 04:49 AM   #8

Unhappy seat belt receptacle

well guys we tried what you suggested but did not work took it to the garage and the code reader said code 21and that the problem was in the steering wheel loom which is weird because the horn has not worked either possibly since we bought it until it suddenly started to work the other night although i have to say it sounds quite pathetic so we are completely stuck as to what to try next if there is anything..?
Old 05-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
well guys we tried what you suggested but did not work took it to the garage and the code reader said code 21and that the problem was in the steering wheel loom which is weird because the horn has not worked either possibly since we bought it until it suddenly started to work the other night although i have to say it sounds quite pathetic so we are completely stuck as to what to try next if there is anything..?
You need a code reader made for Porsche, it will give you a 4 digit code, search the internet for code discription & resolution.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #10
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog View Post
I've also had the light come on if I disconnect the battery (for maintenance). More often than not the light will come on when I reconnect the battery. In fact, I EXPECT it to come on when I reconnect the battery. If it doesn't I feel cheated! LOL
I'm preparing for a steering wheel swap and read upon the pages somewhere in here to put the ignition in the ON position, then disconnect the battery. Wait ~15 minute for discharge (YMMV). Remove steering wheel... replace. With ignition off, reconnect battery. Start the car and there should be no airbag light.

Is that correct?

Thank you.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:29 PM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I'm preparing for a steering wheel swap and read upon the pages somewhere in here to put the ignition in the ON position, then disconnect the battery. Wait ~15 minute for discharge (YMMV). Remove steering wheel... replace. With ignition off, reconnect battery. Start the car and there should be no airbag light.

Is that correct?

Thank you.
Yes, though leaving the ignition on is unnecessary. Just unhook the battery a good 15 minutes before the job and make sure everything is hooked up and put back together before reconnecting battery.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #12
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Airbag module fault code 21 is for the steering wheel, so it could be a bad clockspring, airbag connector, bad wiring or loom connector. The clockspring is the weakest link in the chain.

I'd pull the airbag and check that it's connector is securely plugged in. Next, remove the wheel and inspect/replace the clockspring. You might text woody and see if he has a good used one.

Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes before messing with airbags. Note: the airbag light will still need to be reset once the problem is fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
You need a code reader made for Porsche, it will give you a 4 digit code, search the internet for code discription & resolution.
The modules typically only use 2 digit codes (immobilizer, airbag, etc).

Last edited by particlewave; 05-22-2018 at 08:24 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote