Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 07:30 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310

Wrong class.

But fast just the same.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:35 AM   #42
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Wrong class.

But fast just the same.
I was not sure whether they would run in the same races, is anything from Porsche running with the vettes?
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:06 AM   #43

No.

Porsche runs in GT2 and GT3 if I am correct. Also in the Prototype class as you indicated.

The Gt1 class has vettes, vipers, Saleens, Maserti and Aston Martin. These cars are seriously fast!!!!!!!!!!!

A great class to watch.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #44
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
No.

Porsche runs in GT2 and GT3 if I am correct. Also in the Prototype class as you indicated.

The Gt1 class has vettes, vipers, Saleens, Maserti and Aston Martin. These cars are seriously fast!!!!!!!!!!!

A great class to watch.

That Saleen is a sweet ride, that is one sports car made in the USA that I truly admire.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:13 AM   #45

1. Any person that qualifies any of the mentioned cars as "chick cars" is obviously trying to compensate for something. No matter how you slice it Boxsters, 911s, Corvettes, Vipers... they are all great cars that are a blast to drive (well.. I'm assuming the Viper is fun to drive, I've never had the pleasure). The only way you won't have fun in any of these cars is if you are a crappy driver.

2. A boxster is a chick car. Drop the top and drive (slowly) down a scene-ster part of town on a Friday night, and you will get attention from females. One girlfriend told me that if a guy has my car she is and I quote "About 50% more likely to go out with him". Would I marry this kind of girl? Hell no, but I will take her out in my Boxster
Old 01-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #46

Hey Natecooper, that sounds like a "Boxster groupie". I got to move to Hollywood.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisg
Around my parts, most Vette drivers are mid to late 40's women (auto trans mostly, and yes, I check) . Not drawing any conclusions but.........................

Anyway, if you're going to worry about whether or not some (ignorant) person thinks the Boxster is a "chick car", maybe the passion to own one isn't really there. (don't take that negatively, just a thought).
I'm sure someone will correct me even if I'm right, But last time a checked a coupla years ago, Corvette ownership was about 50% female. The highest woman owned sports car in the US.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter
...Corvette ownership was about 50% female. The highest woman owned sports car in the US...
Hi,

Lots of Sugar-Daddy's. Simple formula really, buy a Girl a Corvette and you too can get laid...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310
That Saleen is a sweet ride, that is one sports car made in the USA that I truly admire.
Actually most of it is made in England with only the final assembly being done here.

Regardless, it is definitely a sweet ride.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:14 PM   #50
bmussatti

They have a great web site... www.saleen.com. Go check it out!
Old 01-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #51

Good to know Hollywood chicks dig boxsters. Girls here in rural IL don't seem to like car as much...they like big pickups? Well, I'm 25 and single so I guess there is still time. I can't say it hasn't helped a few times though
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:00 AM   #52

Maybe they meant the Saleen S7, the S281 Coupe is based on a Ford Mustang. Quick and stable through turns.
faterikcartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:10 AM   #53

I think the "chick" car comments always are rooted in the belief that the vehicle is about looks and not performance.

That is why many cars like the beetle and miata always seem to attract those comments.

The Boxster gets the same comments from the enthusiast crowd for the same reason. I don't think anyone can seriously argue that the box ( even in S trim ) is not short on HP by today's standards.

It has been lacking in HP since the model was introduced. The potential of getting smoked stoplight to stoplight by a neon doesn't exactly help the image either.

Additionally it carries the Porsche name which is synonymous for performance cars. As always there is also the big brother 911 which everyone will always say you should have bought.

I don't see anyway the box will ever get from under the "chick" car label. Too many things would have to change in Porsche for that to happen.

Of course there are so many other reasons the box is a great car is the reason that I ( insecurities and all ) love it.
gRed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by faterikcartman
Maybe they meant the Saleen S7, the S281 Coupe is based on a Ford Mustang. Quick and stable through turns.
Yes, I was refering to the S7. The Mustang based products are just that, hotrodded Mustangs.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #55

maybe its a West coast phenom because i have never heard anyone say the box is a chick car. My daughter took an advanced driving course and I was talking to the pro drivers who were instructors and they had nothing but positive things to say about the Box especially those who had raced it. It helped me in my decision making. They were not so kind about the Honda S2000 as it was hard to tweak. These were professional drivers. BTW: they also mentioned the RMS problem. Regardless, they said it was the easiest car to drive fast and to get dialed in to a track. They all coveted the Boxster, the 911 series, and of course the Corvette C06. These guys wear driving shoes as casual wear.

The styling of the Box is curvy rather than the "penis on wheels styling" of American iron. Besides, if it was a chick car it would have a name like "Probe".

I want a red flame paint job on the rocker panels with ghosted skulls on the trunk and rear bonnet. And a propane flame thrower set up in the exhaust tips. And some neon lights under the frame rails. Maybe a couple maltese crosses. That oughta take care of any issues.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:21 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gRed04
I think the "chick" car comments always are rooted in the belief that the vehicle is about looks and not performance.

That is why many cars like the beetle and miata always seem to attract those comments.

The Boxster gets the same comments from the enthusiast crowd for the same reason. I don't think anyone can seriously argue that the box ( even in S trim ) is not short on HP by today's standards.

It has been lacking in HP since the model was introduced. The potential of getting smoked stoplight to stoplight by a neon doesn't exactly help the image either.

Additionally it carries the Porsche name which is synonymous for performance cars. As always there is also the big brother 911 which everyone will always say you should have bought.

I don't see anyway the box will ever get from under the "chick" car label. Too many things would have to change in Porsche for that to happen.

Of course there are so many other reasons the box is a great car is the reason that I ( insecurities and all ) love it.
I like that people underestimate the boxster at stoplight to stoplight races. To quote one 2000 Stang GT driver "I've never lost to a boxster before." Well duh! You've never raced a boxster S before. My car has the same HP and weighs 500 lbs less...what did you think was going to happen......

Last edited by Adam; 01-10-2006 at 06:23 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #57

The VW Cabriolet - now THAT'S a chick car! And I mean that in the nicest way. When I was younger it seemed that every white VW Cab had the cutest girls. I would also consider the new VW Bug to be a chick car (any car that comes with a flower holder deserves that tag). But for some reason I consider the older Bugs to be "guy" cars - maybe because someone always seemed to be wrenching on one...

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote