Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2006, 03:56 AM   #21

Actually our Boxster is really my wifes car She just lets me drive it on occasion (and of course, do all the required wrenching.......)

I agree, this is one of the lamer threads but hey, we all need a little diversion on occasion.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:56 AM   #22

MJW has the best signature. Cogito Ergo Zoom! Why can't I think of stuff like that.

Man, you latin guys are cool....

I don't have to be defensive about contributing to this thread, cause I am pretty lame, so here's how to spot a chick car;

stand outside a strip club during a shift change and watch the girls drive in.... lol

A waste of expensive machinery, but man they do look good together.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:42 AM   #23

No way a chick car. I think that there are chick cars out there but this isn't one. Most of the people I see driving them are men. My wife has a RX330 and I definitely think that it is a chick car...
luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:37 AM   #24
Ex Esso kid

Let's see them call this a chicks car, it is after all the claimed heitage of our cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_550_Spyder
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:48 AM   #25

I'm the guy who posted the recent "C6 or Boxster". I want to report that I posted that same question on the Corvette C6 forum and got TONS of responses. Yes - there were the "Boxster = chick or hairdresser car" responses... but honestly, many over there ridiculed that reaction and applauded the Boxster for what it is. There is no question the C6 is more straight-line power, and many would say it is a georgous looking sports car. But I've never heard anyone claim Corvettes as a chick car!

Here's another point of view -- the Miata gets that label quite often by ignorant by-standers. My take (and a lot of others') is if one doesn't know how to "drive" the car (Miata, C6, Boxster, whatever) then it will never give you that full satisfaction whether in the straight away, or the hilly twisties. The "girlie" attachment is well deserved if the thing is constantly being puttered around town by the majority of its owners. That isn't to say flogging your base Neon with that ghastly wing makes it "manly".... Perception is based on prejudice, subjective feelilngs, and level of knowledge (or in this case, ignorance).

Anyone who really likes a particular car, but won't buy it simply because fools call it a chick car is the one with a problem. Not the clowns who ridicule the thing!

Doug
FromMiata2Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:57 AM   #26

This thread comes up every few months, but it's always fun anyway.
There certainly is a segment of the car-oriented public that perceives the Boxster as a "chick car". This perception is fostered by media references such as one of the characters in the HBO series "The Sopranos" referring to the Boxster as "... a Porsche with panties".
Having owned a 911 from the '80s, I can tell you the Box is a very different kind of car. Much more refined, smoother, more comfortable, much better ergonomics. Maybe that's what makes it a "chick car" compared to the 911. Those old 911s had heavy steering (at low speed), heavy brakes, abrupt clutches, switches and controls scattered willy-nilly about the interior, virtually worthless AC. All the compromises were made on the side of performance, and it kept the 911 from having broader appeal. That orientation was sometime called "the alloy lug-nut syndrome". It was no joke, the lug nuts were light alloy.
The Boxster and, I assume the 996/997, are much easier to live with.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #27

Chick Car??

Thanks for all the new input on this question.

The only thing I have to add is a question.

Where does Wild1-Poet2 find deserted mountain roads in the Boston Area??

Vicelike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:18 AM   #28

wow, I guess CA is the center of the world. lol Ever hear of the White Mountains or the Smokies?? Mt. Washington is highest mountain east of the Mississippi. We actually ski out east. Imagine. We rock climb and ice climb too. Our surfing isn't to brag about but we got hard core guys who go out year round in their dry suits. We also got the Berkshires and the Green Mountains. These are glacial mountains and are actually older and thus craggier than the Rockies.

come on out.... I'll give you the tour.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #29

I get a lot of crap from my friends about having the Barbie Porsche. Thing is, most of them acknowledge that it's a great car, but they like to rib me about it.

Those that really do think the car is for girls, generally can't afford anything over $30,000. They're the types that are thinking "for less money you could have purchased a faster car."

I'll give them a few years to "get it."
Old 01-08-2006, 01:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi

...There certainly is a segment of the car-oriented public that perceives the Boxster as a "chick car". This perception is fostered by ..."The Sopranos" referring to the Boxster as "... a Porsche with panties"....
Interesting. I suppose that would make the Boxster S a "Porsche with a thong."

This marque will always draw detractors. I tend to listen to those critics who have driven both cars and then speak intelligently about the characteristics of each, even when I disagree. The rest are simply contributing to global warming.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2
wow, I guess CA is the center of the world. lol Ever hear of the White Mountains or the Smokies?? Mt. Washington is highest mountain east of the Mississippi. We actually ski out east. Imagine. We rock climb and ice climb too. Our surfing isn't to brag about but we got hard core guys who go out year round in their dry suits. We also got the Berkshires and the Green Mountains. These are glacial mountains and are actually older and thus craggier than the Rockies.

come on out.... I'll give you the tour.

Actually rural NE has a far superior set of roads for running the Boxster hard, than we do here in most of CA.

Having said that, I remember those roads as a bit beat up due to the harsh winters. Hence, you could lose your Box in some of those potholes.

Go Pats!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:37 PM   #32

BruceLee, is The Dragon!

The roads out here are rough on a sport suspension. Up north in NH the main roads are better because they lay down a deeper base. You're right, its the frost heaves from the freeze, thaw, re-freeze cycles. It draws up rocks and creates mini sink holes.

Perhaps worse, is the sand, salt and calcium chloride they put down on the roads to melt the ice. It mixes to a corrosive sludge that it'll eat and pit chrome and alloys.

Go Pats Dynasty!!
Old 01-08-2006, 05:02 PM   #33

Ok, here’s my response to this.

Chick car, yes I get (wife cover your ears) chicks all the time waving to me.

Muscle car guys, (rhymes with muscle head) I feel they are all compensating for something?

Reminds me of the old saying about the two bulls standing on the mountain looking at all the heifers in the valley:

"Young bull (muscle car) sez to the mature bull (Porsche owners) lets run down there and gets us one! the mature bull sez, lets stroll down there and get them all"

I have owned muscle cars in the past, way past, I just feel I have matured to the point of really appreciating a finely engineered car like a Porsche and only comes with age and experience.

Unless you’re a prodigy at age under 30, hurrrray blinkwatt.

Regards

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMiata2Boxster
I'm the guy who posted the recent "C6 or Boxster". I want to report that I posted that same question on the Corvette C6 forum and got TONS of responses. Yes - there were the "Boxster = chick or hairdresser car" responses... but honestly, many over there ridiculed that reaction and applauded the Boxster for what it is. There is no question the C6 is more straight-line power, and many would say it is a georgous looking sports car. But I've never heard anyone claim Corvettes as a chick car!

Doug
Do you have link to the corvette thread? I just would like to see what they said for fun.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:33 PM   #35

" But I've never heard anyone claim Corvettes as a chick car!"

That is very true!

Old 01-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2
MJW has the best signature. Cogito Ergo Zoom! Why can't I think of stuff like that.
Actually I can't take credit for the originality, I stole it from the old Car and Driver column written by David E. Davis.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #37

Around my parts, most Vette drivers are mid to late 40's women (auto trans mostly, and yes, I check) . Not drawing any conclusions but.........................

The way I look at it(and one of the reasons why I own P cars) Porsches are sports cars and have always been pure sports cars(no apologies for lack of cup holders or plush interiors) and they are also racers and have put most models to that ultimate test from day one.

Not to take anything away from the Vettes of recent, they're a very formidable sports car now, they just don't "do it" for me, nor do I need (or want) mega power for driving on the streets (now if I were chosing something mainly for the track...a C5 or 6 might have prevailed)

I used to see a lot of testosterone displayed by guys with "real bikes" (ie, 750's and liter bikes) at track days a club races, but when you stuck it to them in a corner with your better handling, lighter, yet lower power "girly bike", they piped down. Knowledge plus handling.

Anyway, if you're going to worry about whether or not some (ignorant) person thinks the Boxster is a "chick car", maybe the passion to own one isn't really there. (don't take that negatively, just a thought).
chrisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:40 AM   #38
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
" But I've never heard anyone claim Corvettes as a chick car!"

That is very true!
Yeah but most kids are done playing with plastic cars by age 10...
Old 01-09-2006, 06:21 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310
Yeah but most kids are done playing with plastic cars by age 10...

Not these guys!

http://www.corvetteracing.com/history/2005releases/lagunaseca/lagunaseca4.shtml

Old 01-09-2006, 07:00 AM   #40
Ex Esso kid

I hope they enjoy it, these boys are next..

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/racing/porsche-builds-new-lemans-prototype-car-penske-to-race-040222.php