Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmabasa
Hmmm...I really don't know Jim. My key was working perfectly fine up til this morning when the battery died and even after I replaced the battery, it still wouldn't work. I called a couple of dealers and they all said that once the battery dies, you will need to have the key reprogrammed again. So, maybe some keys need to be reprogrammed and some dont. Lucky for the ones who don't need to have their keys reprogrammed. :ah:
did you try inserting the key in ignition, tuning it on to the right(not turning the car on) and then push one of the buttons, that restarts it.
i dont know if you tried it or not, but when i replaced my battery it didnt do anyhting, but i did that and it works just fine now.

btw, when i got my car dealer told me that the key fob never worked for the previous owner, on the way home i stopped at walgreens, put a battery in, restarted it and no problems after that

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:22 AM   #22

2 Keys with New Car

I got a new 06 Boxster a few months ago and was only given one key (plus the valet key) at the time. Sales guy said something was wrong with key #2 and they would order another one. This went on for 2 months and althought the dealer was great, I kept getting excuses. In the meantime I read in various sources that dealers often are reluctant to hand over 2 keys on these cars, why I don't know. Bottom line is that I called the sales manager and said let's cut the bull and cough up key #2.

Few days later I got a call from parts saying the key is in, come on in for free programming (programming is a real chore with a whole screen full of fields to fill in PLUS the dealer needs to download keys codes from the Porsche mother ship). In the end I'm whole and happy - premier dealer in Rhode Island overall has been great. Love the car so far even though only have 2K miles on it - not a daily driver here in Northeast.

PS: I've become pretty tight with these guys and this little dealer in West Warwick RI told me they just won the national Porsche award for for selling the most "exclusive options" which are those really expensive options you see on the show room floor 911 cars like engine power packages, etc. They beat out Miami and California the long time favorites.
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8...rivewayic1.jpg
tomk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmabasa
Do you think the dealer will be able to tell me if the remote head is the problem or do you think that they will just go ahead and tell me to buy a new one and get it reprogrammed?
Hi,

That's a difficult question to answer. I don't know how reputable the dealer is or how motivated they'd be to sell you a new one vs fixing yours.

I guess you'll never know if they say it's dead whether it is or not. If you've tried everything suggested here by all the contributors, and you still want a working remote, I don't see what other options you have but to place yourself in the Dealer's hands. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

PS IIRC, there is a post here about grounding the battery terminals on the Key Fob with the Battery edge which got one working. I haven't looked for it, but do a search and perhaps you'll find it. That's the last thing I can think of...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-11-2007 at 05:32 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

That's a difficult question to answer. I don't know how reputable the dealer is or how motivated they'd be to sell you a new one vs fixing yours.

I guess you'll never know if they say it's dead whether it is or not. If you've tried everything suggested here by all the contributors, and you still want a working remote, I don't see what other options you have but to place yourself in the Dealer's hands. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

PS IIRC, there is a post here about grounding the battery terminals on the Key Fob with the Battery edge which got one working. I haven't looked for it, but do a search and perhaps you'll find it. That's the last thing I can think of...
Thanks Jim!