986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   New Keys (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/7209-new-keys.html)

rock88hard 08-28-2006 06:11 AM

New Keys

When I got my 986 I was given only 1 key. Given that the salesperson and his manager are 100% douchbags, i don't know if i should have received 2 or not. And wasn't given a manual. Nonetheless, I am worried that the battery will die in my key and i will be locked out of my car. Any advice on getting a second key?

denverpete 08-28-2006 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock88hard
When I got my 986 I was given only 1 key. Given that the salesperson and his manager are 100% douchbags, i don't know if i should have received 2 or not. And wasn't given a manual. Nonetheless, I am worried that the battery will die in my key and i will be locked out of my car. Any advice on getting a second key?

I don't even know where to start. Hmm.

Buying a used vehicle does have many downsides. Among them are often too few keys and the lack of manuals. Your vehicle comes with one main key and a second valet key. The valet key is typically missing when sold used. The manuals can be purchased on Ebay.

As to you battery dying in your key and getting locked out. There's a slot right next to the door handle. If you insert your "key" into the slot (metal end first) and rotate, the vehicle will lock or unlock depending upon which direction you turn the key and the prior status (locked or unlocked) or the vehicle.

Hope this helps!

MNBoxster 08-28-2006 09:01 AM

Hi,

The KeyFob's memory is non-volatile, so if the battery dies, all you need do is replace it and nothing will be lost. If this is a major concern, replace the battery now, so you know that it's fresh. The type of Battery required is:
  • '97/'00 - 625U, 1.5V
    '01/'06 - Lithium CR 3032, 3v

Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

CJ_Boxster 08-28-2006 09:24 AM

So say if i were to remove the battery from my Key FOB, I would not have to goto the dealer to reprogram the keyless entry buttons on the fob to work with my car????

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

The KeyFob's memory is non-volatile, so if the battery dies, all you need do is replace it and nothing will be lost. If this is a major concern, replace the battery now, so you know that it's fresh. The type of Battery required is:
  • '97/'00 - 625U, 1.5V

Hope this helps...

BuffaloBoxster 08-28-2006 11:12 AM

I insisted on the place I bought mine from getting me another key. Get ready for some sticker shock.. I think they replacement key was somewhere in the neighborhood of $250

Raybox 08-28-2006 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffaloBoxster
I insisted on the place I bought mine from getting me another key. Get ready for some sticker shock.. I think they replacement key was somewhere in the neighborhood of $250

Yup. Plus a programming fee by the dealer of around $120 :eek:

MNBoxster 08-28-2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
So say if i were to remove the battery from my Key FOB, I would not have to goto the dealer to reprogram the keyless entry buttons on the fob to work with my car????

Hi,

Nope...

rock88hard 08-29-2006 04:53 AM

I deserve a public flogging here for saying i'd be locked out!
But the button on the dashboard that has a key on it does nothing, i'm expecting it to lock/unlock the doors. the passenger side was my concern if the battery dies, since it doesn't have the slot next to the handle. but very nice to know that it won't cost $300 to replace the battery and i'll now be replacing it.
Thanks for the help (and that one was a good one this time pete)

BuffaloBoxster 08-29-2006 05:23 AM

If the lock button on the center stack does nothing then it's broken.. But it does work in (seeming) reverse - push the depressed side to lock, raised side to unlock.

denverpete 08-29-2006 06:30 AM

Quote:

I deserve a public flogging here for saying i'd be locked out!
But the button on the dashboard that has a key on it does nothing, i'm expecting it to lock/unlock the doors. the passenger side was my concern if the battery dies, since it doesn't have the slot next to the handle. but very nice to know that it won't cost $300 to replace the battery and i'll now be replacing it.
Thanks for the help (and that one was a good one this time pete)

You can also pick up a valet key for around $100.00. It's just like the normal key but without the remote door/trunk capabilities. Might be good insurance. You know, in case you get locked out - for real.

RandallNeighbour 08-29-2006 07:34 AM

The dash rocker switches do go out. I've now replaced my top switch and my traction control switch... and I doubt the traction control switch has ever been used. If your lock switch doesn't work, order another from Sunset and pop it in. 5 Minute job tops.

Perfectlap 08-29-2006 08:07 AM

if you get a spare key from ebay or the dealer have all your keys together when you reprogram the fob. I believe most places charge you one programming fee if its three sets of keys or just one.

Raybox 08-29-2006 04:44 PM

Quote:

But the button on the dashboard that has a key on it does nothing, i'm expecting it to lock/unlock the doors.

That button should lock/unlock the doors. When the ignition is turned on and the doors are locked there is a red light in the switch. But the ignition does not have to be on or even the key in, for that switch to operate the locks..

jmabasa 01-10-2007 03:43 PM

Quote:

Hi,

• '97/'00 - 625U, 1.5V

Hope this helps...

I think this statement can now be deemed wrong.

FrayAdjacent 01-10-2007 04:21 PM

I asked about a second key at the Porsche dealer here when they were resolving my licence plate light issue..

The parts guy says it's about $40 for the key (blade part), about $70 for the head (with the electronics). Then labor to program... .comes out to around $250.

Yeah... ouch. but I'd like to get one anyway. The one key I have is worn out... the rubber around the buttons is seperated... if I drop the key in a puddle... it'll probably go POOF!

MNBoxster 01-10-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmabasa
I think this statement can now be deemed wrong.

Hi,

Why is it wrong? I had a Fob w/o a battery for over 6 mos. Once I added it, it works great to this day. Also, many others have the same experience. If yours is acting differently, it's probably the Fob itself which is failed...

jmabasa 01-10-2007 05:52 PM

Quote:

Hi,

Why is it wrong? I had a Fob w/o a battery for over 6 mos. Once I added it, it works great to this day. Also, many others have the same experience. If yours is acting differently, it's probably the Fob itself which is failed...

Hmmm...I really don't know Jim. My key was working perfectly fine up til this morning when the battery died and even after I replaced the battery, it still wouldn't work. I called a couple of dealers and they all said that once the battery dies, you will need to have the key reprogrammed again. So, maybe some keys need to be reprogrammed and some dont. Lucky for the ones who don't need to have their keys reprogrammed. :ah:

wanna986 01-10-2007 08:04 PM

Quote:

Hmmm...I really don't know Jim. My key was working perfectly fine up til this morning when the battery died and even after I replaced the battery, it still wouldn't work. I called a couple of dealers and they all said that once the battery dies, you will need to have the key reprogrammed again. So, maybe some keys need to be reprogrammed and some dont. Lucky for the ones who don't need to have their keys reprogrammed. :ah:

My battery was marginal at time of delivery. After changing it in the hopes of regaining functionality of lids- nothing. I can't even open the doors anymore. :(

MNBoxster 01-10-2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

Hi,

Sounds as if it could be. But, they can also simply fail. Hopefully this isn't what happened to you...

jmabasa 01-10-2007 09:10 PM

Quote:

Hi,

Sounds as if it could be. But, they can also simply fail. Hopefully this isn't what happened to you...

Do you think the dealer will be able to tell me if the remote head is the problem or do you think that they will just go ahead and tell me to buy a new one and get it reprogrammed?