Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2018, 04:51 PM   #1

Can one returns to OEM after installing a short shifter?

Hi all!

As per the title. I have a short shifter purchased from eBay (there is a post about these $50 further down) I didn’t install. I might do so soon but as wondering, should I or the wifey no like it, can it be reversed? Or is install now permanent for some reasons?

Thanks

CDNIcecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
Would be as easy to reverse as to install in the first place.
Let us know what you think, you might convince me to pick one up too.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Installation of most short shifters involved breaking the plastic cups that hold the stock lever in. The easy way to undo the installation is to install a complete shifter assembly. Woody probably has some used ones at a good price. ...Install your short shift in a used one and keep the old stock one handy.
Here's Ben's install video:
Old 05-02-2018, 10:30 PM   #4

...wonder if you can install the old shifter again with the new bushes/nuts though, or are they different sizes?

The last entry (figure 11) on this pages makes it look like it might be possible? https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/42-TRANS-Short_Shift_Kit/42-TRANS-Short_Shift_Kit.htm
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
...wonder if you can install the old shifter again with the new bushes/nuts though, or are they different sizes?

The last entry (figure 11) on this pages makes it look like it might be possible? https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/42-TRANS-Short_Shift_Kit/42-TRANS-Short_Shift_Kit.htm
Not a problem to switch back using the new bushings/nuts thingys, I did.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I installed a short shifter and didn’t like it. After a couple of months I bought a 987 shifter in it’s cradle which is perfect for me.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
I installed a short shifter and didn’t like it. After a couple of months I bought a 987 shifter in it’s cradle which is perfect for me.
Which one did you try? What didn't you like about it?
Old 05-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #8
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Actually, it was Ben’s. It’s really a matter of taste. The shifter worked flawlessly but it takes a fair bit more force and the shifts are quite short (duh) and mechanical. Even though I track, I found that the 987 shifter landed in a happy place between the 986 and the short shifters. I know that many others have raved about the ssk.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
I was just going to suggest that. I went with the 987 and it's great. Slightly shorter, much better than my sloppy, worn stocker. The up side is you can swap the console, sell the short shifter, and basically break even. No harm, no foul, short of a couple hours labor.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:54 PM   #10

Ok guys, you worrying me! I am fine with my current shifter but just wondered about all that excitement with short shifters, so got myself one. I don’t track my 986 1999. I just drive it normal, cruising along. Will I regret installing my short shifter? And more importantly, will my wife? She’s game, but still if I can’t easy go back to OEM, not cool.

Thanks
CDNIcecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #11
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Just buy a used shifter from Woody. That way you can use the cradle from that one to put the short shifter in. If you don't like it, you can put your old one back in. I have a short shifter from Ben006. I would never go back to the stock one.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #12

I have a stock shifter for sale - $50+ shipping.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNIcecube View Post
Ok guys, you worrying me! I am fine with my current shifter but just wondered about all that excitement with short shifters, so got myself one. I don’t track my 986 1999. I just drive it normal, cruising along. Will I regret installing my short shifter? And more importantly, will my wife? She’s game, but still if I can’t easy go back to OEM, not cool.

Thanks
Kind of depends. If your overall system is trashed a short shifter will only exacerbate problems. Things like motor mount, possible trans mounts, cables, overall condition of your trans will all play out and be very telling with a short shifter. All things being equal, it is simply a matter of preference. Now, going big and swapping in a sequential gearbox... now we are talking.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #14

Approximately how much would an indy shop charge to install a short shift kit? Is the job labor-intensive?
Old 05-04-2018, 10:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Approximately how much would an indy shop charge to install a short shift kit? Is the job labor-intensive?
Are you handy at all? It really is a fairly simple procedure. There are plenty of online instruction pdf’s as well. If you want factory, it is a very simple console swap. If you use your existing shifter as a donor it’s a bit more labor but still very doable. Probably the hardest part is just getting the console out and back in! Swapping the shifter is easy.