Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Talking New MAF + 4 New O2 Sensors = WOW!

I installed a new MAF and 4 new oxygen sensors on my 2000 2.7 with 71,000 miles this morning. I guess I really needed them (all of the old sensors were original) because the car runs stronger than ever.

Six months or so ago I cleaned the MAF and experienced a temporary improvement, but nothing like this. I didn't have any concrete evidence that the O2 sensors were bad, but just decided to change them all with the miles on my car.

If you're having MAF problems, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it. Cleaning may help, but is a temporary fix (at least in my case), and didn't produce the results of a new sensor.

Went on a 180 mile round trip today and was amazed by the improvement.

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
I installed a new MAF and 4 new oxygen sensors on my 2000 2.7 with 71,000 miles this morning. I guess I really needed them (all of the old sensors were original) because the car runs stronger than ever.

Six months or so ago I cleaned the MAF and experienced a temporary improvement, but nothing like this. I didn't have any concrete evidence that the O2 sensors were bad, but just decided to change them all with the miles on my car.

If you're having MAF problems, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it. Cleaning may help, but is a temporary fix (at least in my case), and didn't produce the results of a new sensor.

Went on a 180 mile round trip today and was amazed by the improvement.

ddb
Hi,

Good for you! It's amazing how much better the car is once it's breathing correctly...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:34 PM   #3

Cool dude, it's good to hear that your ride is running well.

Did you change everything at once?

What prompted you to change those things - were you getting a CEL?

How much did you pay for the parts? and where did you buy them from?

Thanks,
Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
"It's amazing how much better the car is once it's breathing correctly..."

MN: I couldn't agree with you more!

larez2: Yes, I changed all of the sensors at once. I probably could have learned something by changing the MAF and the O2's separately, but I just wanted to be done with it.

I did occasionally get a CEL (1128 & 1130). While trying to diagnose this problem months ago, I cleaned my old MAF and experienced a noticeable difference in performance. I later believed I solved the problem by replacing my air/oil separator, which had a torn bellows. I'm not sure what else malfunctions with the AOS, but I was getting a tremendous amount of smoke on start-up.

I knew by cleaning the MAF I could get a performance increase, so I just decided to put in a new one. No evidence that any of the O2 sensors were bad, but decided to put in 4 fresh sensors before a problem developed.

I bought the MAF from Sunset Imports for $273.64. I went with them because they had the original sensor for my car (996-606-124-00) and I wouldn't need to go to the dealer for an ECU upgrade (thanks edevlin for the Sunset information).

I bought the O2 sensors from the cheapest sources I could find. The "after cat" sensors came from Autozone.com (Bosch 15183) for $113.99 each. The "pre cat" sensors came from ********************************az (Bosch 15182) for $133.94 each. Both pair were drop-shipped directly to me from Bosch in Atlanta, GA.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #5

I posted on this before due to the problem I was having with all 5 of the same sensors. First the MAF, and then one by one all 4 of the O2 sensors would give codes. I would have replaced them all at once but my extended warranty covered everything and as such I had to wait as each one caused a code. This happened about every other week until all were replaced. MN had a great link a while back about O2 sensors and the moral of the story is that these do degrade over time and when one goes or has a few miles on them you should replace ALL OF THEM at once. It costs a bit, but man it does make a difference. New life!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 03:33 PM   #6
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
xclusivecar:

I'm glad you had an extended warranty that covered all of the sensor failures! Having to deal with each one separately is kind of a pain, but I would have done the same if I had a warranty.

How many miles did you have when the problems began?

Thanks,

ddb
Old 08-29-2006, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
xclusivecar:

How many miles did you have when the problems began?

Thanks,

ddb
Problems started at 49,000. I now have 58,000 trouble free miles on a car I use 50+ miles per day/everyday! Besides the sensors, this has been one of the most realiable everyday cars I have had! going on 3 years and used through Chicago winters too!
Old 08-29-2006, 04:13 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
How much less gas do you think you use now when compaired to having the old MAS and O2's?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #9
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
How much less gas do you think you use now when compaired to having the old MAS and O2's?

CJ,

I did a 180 mile round trip after replacing the parts but failed to pay the fuel mileage any attention. I hadn't noticed poor fuel mileage prior to replacing the parts. It wasn't uncommon for me to get over 30 mpg on the highway. I typically drive slightly over the speed limit with the cruise control on whenever possible.

It will be great if my fuel mileage improves, if it doesn't, the engine running better is reward enough!

ddb
Old 08-30-2006, 04:45 PM   #10

ddb, thanks very much for the explanation.

I'm about to replace all 4 of my o2 sensors and I'm curious if anyone has used universal replacements (made by Bosch) rather than OEM (also made by Bosch). I'm told the sensor itself is identical, but the difference is the universal replacement doesn't come with the connector.

The universal replacements are about $30 less each and require that I use the existing connector. I just have to splice the new o2 sensors into the existing connector. My existing connectors are in good condition.

Anyone ever done that? Opinions?...

thanks,
Larez2

larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote