Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2020, 05:13 AM   #21
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

That’s spectacular!

Why the remote engine compartment fans? Was this for overall lower temps in there for rubber hose life extension and such, or was there some issue with the new engine install that made that extra cooling necessary?

Thanks.

Again, great job!

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:01 AM   #22
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
That’s spectacular!

Why the remote engine compartment fans? Was this for overall lower temps in there for rubber hose life extension and such, or was there some issue with the new engine install that made that extra cooling necessary?

Thanks.

Again, great job!
Just for the track. Several others have added the manual control as well, because it's nice to be able to keep those temps as low as possible when you're working it that hard. Hi-Speed fans when sitting on the grid, and the purge fan when it comes back into the pits. I just took it a step further and added the control to the fob. :dance:
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:14 AM   #23

Garage
Looks great Maytag! Really digging those bumpers and side skirts.

So whats next on the mod list?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2020, 08:08 AM   #24

Love that color and front bumper and skirts.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #25
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLImages View Post
Looks great Maytag! Really digging those bumpers and side skirts.

So whats next on the mod list?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
those are factory bumpers, but I modified the front abit.

Next on the list? Seats.
Then "Win a couple DE's" and then part 'er out.

I dunno..... we'll see.
honestly, the building / modding is the fun part for me. The driving / tracking is just to prove it worked. But at this stage, I've thrown enough money and time at it, I need to draw the line somewhere.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:51 PM   #26

Very nice, Maytag! Very tasteful and unique. You have a good eye.
Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:08 PM   #27

Garage
Good job, turned out very nicely. The original color was not good either though. Did you take apart the original engine with the rod bearing failure to inspect what caused the problem? Just curious. It`s hard to believe that it`s possible to drive this car so hard that the oil pressure drops so much that a bearing fails.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:40 AM   #28
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
The original color was not good either though.
I'm trying to understand what this means? haha. No clue.

I dissassembled the motor far enough to confirm a few things: A) the IMS was intact and fine. B) There was more than one rod bearing rattling-around in there.

I'm not sure if your comment was a "man, it's CRAZY that you can drive them so hard that they fail to oil adequately", or if it was more of a "Sorry, I'm not buying it. You can't drive these things hard enough that they fail to oil adequately".

Regardless, let me assure you that this, not the IMS, is the "Achilles heel" of the M96 motor. A flat, boxer motor with very little sump, really should've been a dry-sump if it was gong to pretend to be a track-oriented motor. There are some bandaids, and hopefully the ones I've implemented this year will do the trick. But talking to others and reading up on the M96 failures at the racetrack, most are oil-supply related.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #29

The reason why aftermarket oil sump kits exist is for the sole reason of oil starvation when people take their cars to the track. It's hard to believe for a lot of people because it's not...OMG, not IMS related!
Old 03-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #30

Garage
Oh, sorry, I typed that fast and didn`t look back on what I wrote. I meant the original color was not BAD either, to me the blue paint looks by far the best out of all the original colors of the boxster. But that`s me.

As for the other quesition, I think I meant both: it`s hard to believe that there was no any other circumstance that caused oil starvation. But, if it`s indeed just due to racetrack conditions, then it`s CRAZY, and that reflects a huge failure in the engine design.

It`s true that when there`s a drop in oil pressure at high engine speed the first thing that will go is the rod bearing. But, if the entire oil mass in the sump moved to the side so the oil pickup strainer could not pick up oil, then you should see the oil pressure warning light blinking and probably there`s some beeping alarm from the computer I assume (I don`t know, I`ve never driven a Boxster). I`m not sure though if you can pay attention to these warnings when you are racing. Any report about this from the racers?

Another possibility that i can think of, is that the reason for this failure is that too much oil flows to one side toward the head and the scavange pump can`t deliver that back to the sump in time. In an engine the hottest part by far is the cylinder head, thus the oil circulation is designed such that not too much oil flows to the head to avoid rising oil temperature too high. Now, if your oil flows toward the heads because you are bending corners like crazy on a racetrack for hours, the oil carried back from the heads might become too hot and may start forming bubbles. The oil can be further aerated by the chains that whip the oil into a froth. Perhaps these together may cause oil starvation and the rod bearing that takes up the highest load eventually fails.

Just a theory, I like to think outside the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I'm trying to understand what this means? haha. No clue
I dissassembled the motor far enough to confirm a few things: A) the IMS was intact and fine. B) There was more than one rod bearing rattling-around in there.

I'm not sure if your comment was a "man, it's CRAZY that you can drive them so hard that they fail to oil adequately", or if it was more of a "Sorry, I'm not buying it. You can't drive these things hard enough that they fail to oil adequately".

Regardless, let me assure you that this, not the IMS, is the "Achilles heel" of the M96 motor. A flat, boxer motor with very little sump, really should've been a dry-sump if it was gong to pretend to be a track-oriented motor. There are some bandaids, and hopefully the ones I've implemented this year will do the trick. But talking to others and reading up on the M96 failures at the racetrack, most are oil-supply related.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:17 PM   #31

looks great.
where did you buy the vinyl wrap and what was the approx cost?

also, noticed you have 7.5" front wheels. is that what you track with? you should go wider in front
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:37 PM   #32
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
looks great.
where did you buy the vinyl wrap and what was the approx cost?

also, noticed you have 7.5" front wheels. is that what you track with? you should go wider in front
I've got 17's with NT01's I track with.

Im thinking I'm in about $400, including some tools and such.
Purchased the 3m vinyl at a local distributor (regional supply)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk