Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #1

Not as much fun ....

So I completed my first winter storage and it fired up without issue! The engine sounds good ... but it ends there. The drive is not good. I don't remember it be like this. I noticed last year that as I get to 75mph, there's a shake that goes away ~90 ... well now there's a bumping (thought it was flat spots on the tires but I driven ~ 50miles already) ... pressure is good and nothing notable happened while it was in storage. How long do 'flat spots' take to go away? I'm not sure if the alignment needs checking first or wheel/tires ... Anyone else have a similar experience?

Old 04-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #2

Garage
I just brought mine out of a 5 1/2 month hibernation - parked on concrete in an unheated building. I didn't over inflate the tires and there was no flat spotting. I replaced the tires last summer with Michelin A/S 3 plus's, my last tires were 8+ year old Pirelli PZero's and they flat spotted like crazy, even after a few days of sitting. How old are your tires?
Old 04-24-2018, 12:30 PM   #3
still plays with cars...

Garage
What brand/model of tire?
Flat spotting varies by tire and their construction.
Similarly, I got my car out for its inaugural drive of the season; no flat spotting at all with my 2 year old Michelin PSS tires. It was parked in my unheated garage since late October.
My previous car which wore Goodyear VR60 Gatorbacks (remember those from back in the day) would flat spot if the car sat a week and it would take 15-20 minutes of spirited driving to get them to go away.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:36 PM   #4

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm unable to tell how old the tires are. They're Yokohama's V-102S but there is no DOT stamp on them ... there is a C1543U -1 on the front and a C1563U -1 on the rear. Both those codes come after 'Made in Japan'.

I can't find any reference on the Yokohama site and, again, I'm not seeing a DOT stamp.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
I can't find any reference on the Yokohama site and, again, I'm not seeing a DOT stamp.
Inside sidewall maybe?
Old 04-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Brought mine out after being stored since Oct 1. Tires were pumped to ~55 lbs for storage and reduced to normal. There was no flat spotting at all. I have Goodyear F1 Aysmmetrical A/S bought in April 2016.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:23 PM   #7

Got it. Checked the side that was up against the garage wall :P .
They were manufactured in 2007. Stored them at regular pressure (needed to add some air to bring them back up ...)
Old 04-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #8
MWS

In my experience, you should have seen a decrease after 50+ miles of driving. Is it still just as bad? Also (and I really need to look into this as well), I would think that 11 in tire-years is like 90 in human-years. My tires are approaching that number, and even though they are low miles and look great, I have been meaning to replace....so thanks for the reminder. . Another thing on this years to-do list....
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #9
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Got it. Checked the side that was up against the garage wall :P .
They were manufactured in 2007. Stored them at regular pressure (needed to add some air to bring them back up ...)
Good for you! You get to go tire shopping!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Good for you! You get to go tire shopping!
Lol!!!

I'm shuffling off to Buffalo - TireRack.com
Old 04-25-2018, 04:51 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Lol!!!

I'm shuffling off to Buffalo - TireRack.com
You will be amazed at how new rubber will transform your car. My 8+ year old P Zeros looked like new with plenty of tread but they had definately lost their grip. I tried to convince a coworker who's ultra low mileage Miata with its original 12 year old tires would benefit from new rubber. Her "car guy" husband shot me down because they still look like new. She doesn't know what she is missing!

Last edited by pilut2; 04-25-2018 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling
pilut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilut2 View Post
You will be amazed at how new rubber will transform your car. My 8+ year old P2's looked like new with plenty of tread but they had definately lost their grip. I tried to convince a coworker who's ultra low mileage Miata with its original 12 year old tires would benefit from new rubber. Her "car guy" husband shot me down because they still look like new. She doesn't know what she is missing!
Plus 1 on that! My 2000 S had 28K miles on it when I bought it 2.5 years ago, was slippery in the round about and the tires look nearly new. Finally decided they must been original because the previous owner only did the IMS and a short shifter and regular maintenance. Went and put full set of Pilot Sports on the car, WOW totally different experience. The old tires had gotten hard with age.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:23 AM   #13

Garage
Old tires are dangerous! The rubber gets hard and you might find out at the worst possible time that you no longer have any grip Time to go tire shopping
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #14

You should see what heat does to old tires. We have had some 90 degree days and sure enough there are shredded tires on the road and cars at the side of the road. Some with damage to caused as the tire let lose. Old tires are dangerous for you and others!
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #15

Garage
I purchased my Boxster 2004 with 29K miles March 31. Lots of road noise and just above tread specification on the tires. Yesterday changed the Yokohama's with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Drove in to work today - noticed less road noise and looking forward to the ride home - probably go the long way Rick
Rickvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #16

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I am amazed when I see porsche’s With more than 5 years on their tires, my rears last 2 years and fronts 3 before they are done. That is with super sports
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:35 PM   #17

Frankly, I was surprised that they were 11 years old. I agree, that had I known that I would not have driven as fast as I have! I actually decided to go with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's all around. The reviews seem positive and I like the price (and treadwear rating) - I think they'll be unimpressed with my driving style (respectful to mildly aggressive ).

I hope this makes the ride better, I'll have an alignment done too ....
Old 04-28-2018, 06:24 AM   #18

My winter storage went wrong too. I didn't have any flat spots in the tires but I fired my car up for the first time after 5 months of sitting and everything seemed ok so I took it around the block and noticed a water trail going up my driveway when I came home. My coolant tank let loose so I took it into the shop to get it fixed so there was $1000.00 and they also checked my top to make sure that was ok and upon putting it down one of the motors that works the top failed so there was another $700.00. Hopefully the rest of this year gets better...
Old 04-28-2018, 06:32 AM   #19

I bought a 993 with 10 year old tires. It passed a PPI. By the time I got home (a 1700 mile trip!) the rears were down to the belts and the fronts were badly cupped. The car shook when decelerating. Live and learn.

'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote