Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #21

I found in my 2001 (dealer received in March 2001), I have the OBC, and the fourth stalk, and can access the normal functions (outside temp, fuel econ, DTE, avg. speed, speed warning...)... but the Owner's Manual found at workshopmanuals.co.uk shows a few more functions. It shows a menu on the left side, and looks like a menu driven dot matrix type display. You can also check recent warnings, and oil level...

My display appears to NOT be the dot matrix type, but more the fixed LCD symbol display, and doesn't have the neat little menu driven options.

The question is... when did the instrument cluster switch to the dot matrix menu driven system? .... and can I swap a newer cluster in!?!

Just a curiosity. I think it's still hella cool to have the computer... I have been leaving it on the fuel economy... but sometimes have the urge to switch to the DTE (distance till empty) or outside temperature... It's one of the several options I'm lucky to have in my car. And I'm thoroughly LOVING this car!!

FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorizon
When I took my car to the dealer for a new battery I asked them to turn on the outside temperature display (reference section 7.6 under Boxster FAQ site - http://www.986faq.com/7-0/default.asp). When I got the car back they said they tried and failed. They had similar (unsuccessful) results with another customer's car once before. I should have realized this wasn't necessarily as smooth as described on the FAQ site (or on this forum). The digital speedo readout is in the speedometer, not in the bottom of the tach. In any event, my real problem is that now the instrument digital readout (odometer, etc) lights up as long as the car is unlocked (even with the car off and the key removed!). Any suggestions?
My car is a 2002 S, stock. Many thanks.

longhorizon
Hi,

It is as simple as that if your model year is '97-'00

But, since you have it turned on already, why not complete the job and install the 4-stalk combo switch? It's only $100 + about $10 for the harness. Easy install in under 1.5hr.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:34 AM   #23

So, you don't have to remove the entire airbag and install the 4 new stalks?

Sound much easier to replace just the stalk than the entire assembly. One screw was all it took?

ct_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote