Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #1

986 Drip Pans - Repair or Replace?

Brining a 986 back to life. Has holes in the drip trays. Water leaked. CLU damaged. You've all read the posts.

Good news is the car starts, runs and drives great!

Convertible top is off, drip trays are removed. Interior completely ripped out and it's drying out. The top is also converted to manual with all arms and pushrods removed etc.

New Porsche OEM replacement drip trays are $225 each side here in Vancouver area of BC. So I'd like to see what options are out there first. So here are my questions/thoughts.

Who has had success in repairing holes in these drip trays? I have seen a few posts about silicone sealing the holes. For those that have done it; has is worked out and held up?

Has anyone had success with adding a layer of waterproof material to the underside of the entire tray? I'm thinking like a heavy plastic membrane under the whole thing and spray gluing it to fuse it together?

Does the 987 drip pan fit a 986? It looks to be made of a more durable molded plastic as opposed to thin/flexible foam. Anyone tried it?

I've looked into used ones and think it's a crapchute. But will consider buying a pair if anyone has some good ones to sell me.

Thanks you boxster brainiacs for having a read and responding. I can't wait to teach my daughter how to drive in it once it's all fixed up. You guys have helped me get lots done on my refurbishment so far.

Last edited by Zzorro; 04-13-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #2
Rich

I have no experience with this. Ok with that warning out of the way...you might try placing roof underlayment for ice dams. It is water proof and will stick to it self. Here is the GAF style https://www.lowes.com/pd/GAF-WEATHERWATCH-36-in-x-50-ft-150-sq-ft-Polypropylene-Roof-Underlayment/50353096
Rich XTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich XTR View Post
I have no experience with this. Ok with that warning out of the way...you might try placing roof underlayment for ice dams. It is water proof and will stick to it self. Here is the GAF style https://www.lowes.com/pd/GAF-WEATHERWATCH-36-in-x-50-ft-150-sq-ft-Polypropylene-Roof-Underlayment/50353096
Great idea!
Old 04-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #4

First off, can you control the weather conditions your car will see? What I mean is that my car is garage kept. It does see rain and will occasionally sit outside with the top off. i keep my drains clean but have been surprised by what I've found in the tray!

If your car isn't sitting outside all the time, you might try to repair your trays and test them prior to installing. Even Plastidip may work. Risk/reward is up to you but I'd sure try something before forking out $450 for two trays.

BTW, I did repair a tray on a 1998 I owned for a bit. I used black RTV and it worked great. No idea how long it would hold but I sold the car to a buddy and we're still friends!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
First off, can you control the weather conditions your car will see? What I mean is that my car is garage kept. It does see rain and will occasionally sit outside with the top off. i keep my drains clean but have been surprised by what I've found in the tray!

If your car isn't sitting outside all the time, you might try to repair your trays and test them prior to installing. Even Plastidip may work. Risk/reward is up to you but I'd sure try something before forking out $450 for two trays.

BTW, I did repair a tray on a 1998 I owned for a bit. I used black RTV and it worked great. No idea how long it would hold but I sold the car to a buddy and we're still friends!
Thanks for the response. Good to hear the RTV sealant worked and always nice to maintain friendships! And plastidip? Hmmmm. Interesting idea.

To answer the first question: the car will reside outside unfortunately. I can commit to keeping the drains clean for sure though!

Wonder if anyone has ever made a silicone molded replica of one of these. That would be way more durable than these foam pieces.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #6

Garage
Mine have been removed for weight reduction. Sealed under the air duct with a little spray in foam. Removed the drain piece. Drilled an extra hole in the bottom of the tray base.

They are pretty much destroyed while removing them so I doubt you will find any used ones.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:06 AM   #7

You might try this for the right side...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-986-Boxster-97-04-Convertible-Top-Water-Drip-Liner-Pan-Right-Passenger-/151850238416?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

And here's the left side:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-986-Boxster-97-04-Convertible-Top-Water-Drip-Liner-Pan-Left-Driver/151850238415?hash=item235afac1cf:g:QPsAAOSwr81UUS6 5

Both look to be in good condition, and for $29.99 each they sound like a steal...

Note: I haven't dealt with this ebay seller...

Last edited by BirdDog; 04-14-2018 at 01:08 AM.
BirdDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
They are pretty much destroyed while removing them so I doubt you will find any used ones.
There may be some that survive removal.

I needed to replace mine after I gouged them during a top and frame swap. I managed to find a nice pair from a recycler. I was buying some other parts and the company just threw them in for free.

Contact Woody (Itsnotanova) in the parts sale section and see whether he can help. Send him a text - he will respond more quickly.

Good luck
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post

I think they come out pretty easy. I took mine out carefully and I didn't wreck them (anymore that they already were anyways).

It's been said before, but what a horribly inadequate materials for such a critical job!
Old 04-14-2018, 05:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
There may be some that survive removal.

Contact Woody (Itsnotanova) in the parts sale section and see whether he can help. Send him a text - he will respond more quickly.

Good luck
Thanks! I'll try Woody now.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:43 AM   #11

BirdDog, thanks for the eBay links. Have contacted the seller to confirm they will combine shipping to Canada.

My experience with the exchange rate, shipping and handling fees and duties has not been great. $100 USD Pelican parts order shipped via USPS to me was $170 by the time all was said and done. I miss the days of dollar parity!

Still a lower price than buying new. Let's see what the seller says.

Again. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:14 AM   #12

Have you searched for Euro Wrecking Yards in the Vancouver area? There's a place called Alpi's in Surrey
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Have you searched for Euro Wrecking Yards in the Vancouver area? There's a place called Alpi's in Surrey
My last dealing with Alpi's was not great. Wanted a premium for the parts. Made more sense to buy new. That's was years ago in my jetta/golf days. I'll reach out again. See what they say. Thanks.

Last edited by Zzorro; 04-14-2018 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:37 PM   #14

Update:

Ordered up some used drip pans from Woody. Expect them to be in excellent shape just like his communication.

I liked Rich XTR's idea a lot though and may consider doing something like that as well.

Thanks all for the response. Much appreciated.