Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #1

Garage
Oil Cooler R&R/Coolant Drain

Getting ready to replace the original oil cooler on my '02 base with the "S" model cooler. Pretty straight forward procedure. My question is this - how much coolant needs to be drained to bring the level below the cooler and is it possible to remove that amount without draining the whole system?

2004 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition, #1541,Tip, TechnoFix DOF IMSB upgrade
SC-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I think you will find that you can't just drain coolant out of the oil cooler/engine. When you pull the drain plug and or hose, fluid will drain from everything equally. I just flushed my system and that is my experience.

If you drain into a clean container, you can refill with what came out. You might do a visual and strain it as you put it back in. Also, note that the drain plug has a crush washer under it that should be replaced and torqued to 7-11 ft lbs. Think oil drain plug but smaller. Verify by your year/car.

After thought, I suppose you could try pinching off the the three hoses with clamps that go into the block. I always thought that might weaken/damage them.

Last edited by rexcramer; 04-13-2018 at 04:01 PM.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #3

As soon as you lift the old cooler off of its O-rings, push a plastic bag under it to catch fluid. I drained a lot from the normal spots underneath and still had a lot spill.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #4

Garage
It's a good time to replace the oil. You can't stop some water from getting into the oil. I've done it twice and got water into the oil both times.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
It's a good time to replace the oil. You can't stop some water from getting into the oil. I've done it twice and got water into the oil both times.
Good point - I was going to drop the sump plate at some point and install an EBS baffle. Good time to do that.
2004 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition, #1541,Tip, TechnoFix DOF IMSB upgrade
SC-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-986 View Post
Good point - I was going to drop the sump plate at some point and install an EBS baffle. Good time to do that.
I did the Pelican kit for my baffle upgrade. For the $$$ it’s excellent and has all the goodies. Proper sealant for tray being one of them!

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote