Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,295
Just received my oil report

Never, ever had one done on any vehicle ever I've owned. Thus, I'm ignorant on how to "really" read one.

Numbers look OK in some cases... but causing (unnecessarily) some grief because a few numbers look "out there".

1998 Boxster
Oil Type Grade 0/40.
Oil Use Interval 4,000 miles

Their comment:

Universal averages give you an idea of how these engines normally look with about 4,300 miles on the oil. This run was close to that interval and wear metals are all close to average. That's how a healthy engine looks in testing, and this 98 Boxster seems to be getting along well at 118,300 miles. We're guessing (hoping) 9.3 quarts is the sump size, not top-off oil needed between changes. That would be an alarming amount of oil use, and more than enough to dilute spectral results. The oil is in good condition, with a normal viscosity and no harmful contamination.

Is their comment unusual?

I welcome our seasoned pros give the attached a once over and share with me your wisdom.

Thank you.

__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.
 
rick3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,107
Garage
Did you really add 9.3 quarts of oil between oil changes? They seem to be commenting on that, which I would guess you put on the form (I hope erroneously) next to the question they ask about how much, if any oil you used to top off between oil changes.
__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metallic Boxster - blueboxster.com
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Did you really add 9.3 quarts of oil between oil changes? They seem to be commenting on that, which I would guess you put on the form (I hope erroneously) next to the question they ask about how much, if any oil you used to top off between oil changes.
I drained all the oil from the bottom, and replaced the oil filter. I refilled with ~9.3 quarts.

Admittedly, I was a little confused when filling out the form. From the time of the last oil change I added zero oil. So, now their comment makes sense.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I drained all the oil from the bottom, and replaced the oil filter. I refilled with ~9.3 quarts.

Admittedly, I was a little confused when filling out the form. From the time of the last oil change I added zero oil. So, now their comment makes sense.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.
I can't comment on the numbers as I've never had an analysis done.

I agree the that that the 9.3 liters comment was just that, a comment based on what you had filled out.

I don't know how long you've had your car but my way of refilling is to do a change (incl. filter) and put 8.5L in and then drive home (~4 miles). After the car is cooled, I add whatever quantity was necessary to achieve a level between and half full and completely full. Just don't want to overfill....
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
I can't comment on the numbers as I've never had an analysis done.

I agree the that that the 9.3 liters comment was just that, a comment based on what you had filled out.

I don't know how long you've had your car but my way of refilling is to do a change (incl. filter) and put 8.5L in and then drive home (~4 miles). After the car is cooled, I add whatever quantity was necessary to achieve a level between and half full and completely full. Just don't want to overfill....
I'll try that approach. I just wham-bammed... put in 9 quarts... checked the level... kept adding until reaching 9.3 (more like 9.4-9.5) until it hit the mark. I did wait for the oil to settle, maybe an hour. My next change will be more accurate. Thank you for the tip.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #6
1997, PCA Riverside
 
rexcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 1,075
Garage
You have a baseline now to compare future reports with. If something starts to deteriorate, it should show up here.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:23 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 206
EXACTLY as the previous poster said........an oil analysis is only useful if done each time the oil is changed. It's "value" is as a "trend report". As previously said, now you have a base-line from which future reports can be judged against.

Personally, I don't see much of a benefit in an oil analysis. I know large fleet companies (trucks) typically do them as a way to track their fleets. When I owned an airplane I used to do them, but after I had a cylinder failure with NO indications or even hints from my previous years of oil analysis I stopped.

The best advice I could give you would be to buy an oil filter cutting tool and cut open your old filter, stretch out the paper and look for any metalic pieces and possibly use a small magnet on any pieces you may find. Remember.....ALL engines "make metal" it's just part of the wear process and most of the time it's perfectly normal.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:40 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
EXACTLY as the previous poster said........an oil analysis is only useful if done each time the oil is changed. It's "value" is as a "trend report". As previously said, now you have a base-line from which future reports can be judged against.

Personally, I don't see much of a benefit in an oil analysis. I know large fleet companies (trucks) typically do them as a way to track their fleets. When I owned an airplane I used to do them, but after I had a cylinder failure with NO indications or even hints from my previous years of oil analysis I stopped.

The best advice I could give you would be to buy an oil filter cutting tool and cut open your old filter, stretch out the paper and look for any metalic pieces and possibly use a small magnet on any pieces you may find. Remember.....ALL engines "make metal" it's just part of the wear process and most of the time it's perfectly normal.
I might consider an analysis every 3 oil changes, keeping an eye out for anomalies. Thank you for the advice. I did cut apart the filter... stretched it out... looked for metal, saw none... ran a magnet, nothing. For the most part, the filter had zero debris causing me concern.

If you recognize any aberrations in any of the numbers, please advise.

Cheers!
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #9
Registered User
 
AZ986S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 353
Magnesium a little high?
What is made of Magnesium in this engine?
__________________
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,H&R Sport Springs,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 80K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #10
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ986S View Post
Magnesium a little high?
What is made of Magnesium in this engine?
From another poster in another forum, in part:

However, if the the IMS bearing were going bad the amount of say chromium or manganese would be up too since the IMS bearing's composition is probably SAE 52100 bearing steel which contains carbon, chrome, iron, manganese, phosphorus, silicon, and sulphur...

Also, I read that certain oils have more additives than others... and I fail to recall exactly what I put in the oil change before last.

LOL.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 484
I have a friend who was an old school VW mechanic. He said that the European flat fours were a magnesium alloy. When they got really clapped out engines, they'd take a couple the cases to a cliff over the Pacific, start it to burning with an acetylene torch and pitch it off the cliff. Water wouldn't put them out and they'd burn bright and hot even under water. Never saw it, but that's his claim.

Wonder how much magnesium in in the Boxster case.

I've always thought that folks who run oil analysis have more money than sense--had a forum friend who would report his engine analysis on his KLR engine every oil change. Gimme a break!
__________________
2001 Boxster
2007 Toyota Highlander

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 04-10-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #12
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,295
I've been doing some reading about the oil analysis, and reviewed more than several reports.

It appears some oils have more magnesium as an additive while others employ calcium. On the reports I looked at if the magnesium count was high, the calcium count was low... and vice versa. I'm going to believe it's the oil brand, and believe my preliminary sample to be Mobil 1 if I remember correctly.

Clearly, having the test done on a regular basis will reveal trends, and I'll then start considering alternative oil choices.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #13
1997, PCA Riverside
 
rexcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 1,075
Garage
I can attest to the old VW mag cases burning as bright as the sun. One of my friends, I raced cross country motorcycles with, would bring one out to the races now and again. They were hard to get going, but after they lit, you had to turn your back to it it was so bright.

Last edited by rexcramer; 04-11-2018 at 04:22 AM.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page