Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Just received my oil report

Never, ever had one done on any vehicle ever I've owned. Thus, I'm ignorant on how to "really" read one.

Numbers look OK in some cases... but causing (unnecessarily) some grief because a few numbers look "out there".

1998 Boxster
Oil Type Grade 0/40.
Oil Use Interval 4,000 miles

Their comment:

Universal averages give you an idea of how these engines normally look with about 4,300 miles on the oil. This run was close to that interval and wear metals are all close to average. That's how a healthy engine looks in testing, and this 98 Boxster seems to be getting along well at 118,300 miles. We're guessing (hoping) 9.3 quarts is the sump size, not top-off oil needed between changes. That would be an alarming amount of oil use, and more than enough to dilute spectral results. The oil is in good condition, with a normal viscosity and no harmful contamination.

Is their comment unusual?

I welcome our seasoned pros give the attached a once over and share with me your wisdom.

Thank you.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Did you really add 9.3 quarts of oil between oil changes? They seem to be commenting on that, which I would guess you put on the form (I hope erroneously) next to the question they ask about how much, if any oil you used to top off between oil changes.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Did you really add 9.3 quarts of oil between oil changes? They seem to be commenting on that, which I would guess you put on the form (I hope erroneously) next to the question they ask about how much, if any oil you used to top off between oil changes.
I drained all the oil from the bottom, and replaced the oil filter. I refilled with ~9.3 quarts.

Admittedly, I was a little confused when filling out the form. From the time of the last oil change I added zero oil. So, now their comment makes sense.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I drained all the oil from the bottom, and replaced the oil filter. I refilled with ~9.3 quarts.

Admittedly, I was a little confused when filling out the form. From the time of the last oil change I added zero oil. So, now their comment makes sense.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.
I can't comment on the numbers as I've never had an analysis done.

I agree the that that the 9.3 liters comment was just that, a comment based on what you had filled out.

I don't know how long you've had your car but my way of refilling is to do a change (incl. filter) and put 8.5L in and then drive home (~4 miles). After the car is cooled, I add whatever quantity was necessary to achieve a level between and half full and completely full. Just don't want to overfill....
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
I can't comment on the numbers as I've never had an analysis done.

I agree the that that the 9.3 liters comment was just that, a comment based on what you had filled out.

I don't know how long you've had your car but my way of refilling is to do a change (incl. filter) and put 8.5L in and then drive home (~4 miles). After the car is cooled, I add whatever quantity was necessary to achieve a level between and half full and completely full. Just don't want to overfill....
I'll try that approach. I just wham-bammed... put in 9 quarts... checked the level... kept adding until reaching 9.3 (more like 9.4-9.5) until it hit the mark. I did wait for the oil to settle, maybe an hour. My next change will be more accurate. Thank you for the tip.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #6
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
You have a baseline now to compare future reports with. If something starts to deteriorate, it should show up here.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:23 AM   #7

EXACTLY as the previous poster said........an oil analysis is only useful if done each time the oil is changed. It's "value" is as a "trend report". As previously said, now you have a base-line from which future reports can be judged against.

Personally, I don't see much of a benefit in an oil analysis. I know large fleet companies (trucks) typically do them as a way to track their fleets. When I owned an airplane I used to do them, but after I had a cylinder failure with NO indications or even hints from my previous years of oil analysis I stopped.

The best advice I could give you would be to buy an oil filter cutting tool and cut open your old filter, stretch out the paper and look for any metalic pieces and possibly use a small magnet on any pieces you may find. Remember.....ALL engines "make metal" it's just part of the wear process and most of the time it's perfectly normal.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:40 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
EXACTLY as the previous poster said........an oil analysis is only useful if done each time the oil is changed. It's "value" is as a "trend report". As previously said, now you have a base-line from which future reports can be judged against.

Personally, I don't see much of a benefit in an oil analysis. I know large fleet companies (trucks) typically do them as a way to track their fleets. When I owned an airplane I used to do them, but after I had a cylinder failure with NO indications or even hints from my previous years of oil analysis I stopped.

The best advice I could give you would be to buy an oil filter cutting tool and cut open your old filter, stretch out the paper and look for any metalic pieces and possibly use a small magnet on any pieces you may find. Remember.....ALL engines "make metal" it's just part of the wear process and most of the time it's perfectly normal.
I might consider an analysis every 3 oil changes, keeping an eye out for anomalies. Thank you for the advice. I did cut apart the filter... stretched it out... looked for metal, saw none... ran a magnet, nothing. For the most part, the filter had zero debris causing me concern.

If you recognize any aberrations in any of the numbers, please advise.

Cheers!
Old 04-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #9

Magnesium a little high?
What is made of Magnesium in this engine?
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #10
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ986S View Post
Magnesium a little high?
What is made of Magnesium in this engine?
From another poster in another forum, in part:

However, if the the IMS bearing were going bad the amount of say chromium or manganese would be up too since the IMS bearing's composition is probably SAE 52100 bearing steel which contains carbon, chrome, iron, manganese, phosphorus, silicon, and sulphur...

Also, I read that certain oils have more additives than others... and I fail to recall exactly what I put in the oil change before last.

LOL.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #11

I have a friend who was an old school VW mechanic. He said that the European flat fours were a magnesium alloy. When they got really clapped out engines, they'd take a couple the cases to a cliff over the Pacific, start it to burning with an acetylene torch and pitch it off the cliff. Water wouldn't put them out and they'd burn bright and hot even under water. Never saw it, but that's his claim.

Wonder how much magnesium in in the Boxster case.

I've always thought that folks who run oil analysis have more money than sense--had a forum friend who would report his engine analysis on his KLR engine every oil change. Gimme a break!

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 04-10-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #12
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I've been doing some reading about the oil analysis, and reviewed more than several reports.

It appears some oils have more magnesium as an additive while others employ calcium. On the reports I looked at if the magnesium count was high, the calcium count was low... and vice versa. I'm going to believe it's the oil brand, and believe my preliminary sample to be Mobil 1 if I remember correctly.

Clearly, having the test done on a regular basis will reveal trends, and I'll then start considering alternative oil choices.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #13
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I can attest to the old VW mag cases burning as bright as the sun. One of my friends, I raced cross country motorcycles with, would bring one out to the races now and again. They were hard to get going, but after they lit, you had to turn your back to it it was so bright.

Last edited by rexcramer; 04-11-2018 at 04:22 AM.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote