Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2018, 08:20 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: CO
Posts: 919
So looks like water pump time? A question...

So, looks like a water pump is in my nearish future. I found a tiny bit of dry coolant just under the pulley this weekend doing an oil change. Very small amount, completely dry. Odd. Anyway, going to keep an eye on it, but most likely will be changing it sometime in the near future. The question I have is regarding coolant drainage. I just flushed and replaced my coolant about 2k ago, and would rather not do it again. The 986 service manual mentions using coolant hose clamp/s to minimize the loss of coolant. The question is which lines? Just the line going into the water pump, or both coolant and thermostat? Or, just deal with it and eat 5 gallons of coolant? Another thought is, if drained into a clean bucket, is it reasonable to reuse as the coolant is reletively new?
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:02 AM   #2
Registered User
 
rp17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DFW
Posts: 713
You can reuse the coolant like you stated. I would drain it all in a clean bucket and use distilled water to check for leaks.. remember to use a new washer on the coolant drain plug. then drain and add the expensive stuff. Bout to do mines here in a couple weeks or so.. keep us updated.. What pump are you using? I'm using a pump from Fcp. Free replacements and sounds good for this application. Pierburg if not mistaken.
Others may add to this. Few threads already...
__________________
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.

Last edited by rp17; 04-01-2018 at 01:11 AM.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:49 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.
 
rick3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,066
Garage
I would buy a mesh paint strainer and a new 5 gallon bucket, then drain the coolant and reuse it. It will be easier and less messy than dealing with clamps, and you don't have to worry about damaging any of the hoses. I wouldn't worry about reusing relatively new coolant.
__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metallic Boxster - blueboxster.com
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: CO
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp17 View Post
You can reuse the coolant like you stated. I would drain it all in a clean bucket and use distilled water to check for leaks.. remember to use a new washer on the coolant drain plug. then drain and add the expensive stuff. Bout to do mines here in a couple weeks or so.. keep us updated.. What pump are you using? I'm using a pump from Fcp. Free replacements and sounds good for this application. Pierburg if not mistaken.
Others may add to this. Few threads already...
I’ve already got Porsche blood in it, so that’s easy. No other leaks either. I’ve read that a tiny bit of seep from the pump is “within specs”. Whatever that means. I think the most challengeing part would be transferring a bucket full of coolant to some other container. Or, just buy a pump and call it good. I will most likely go Pierburg or just do the Porsche pump, Suncoast has them on sale for 260.00. And of course do a low temp thermostat while I’m there.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:34 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 144
i just did mine and used the Porsche OEM pump from Suncoast. the Pierberg could have saved a few bucks but for some reason i justified the OEM for slightly more. My thinking, if i ever sell the car the OEM part makes the next person a bit more comfortable with the work done. may be true, may not.
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:47 AM   #6
Multi-Boxer Driver
 
Deserion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,232
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav9515 View Post
i just did mine and used the Porsche OEM pump from Suncoast. the Pierberg could have saved a few bucks but for some reason i justified the OEM for slightly more. My thinking, if i ever sell the car the OEM part makes the next person a bit more comfortable with the work done. may be true, may not.
Pierburg is the OE manufacturer of the pump, for what it's worth. When I did my pump change, it was identical to the original unit except the Porsche P-triangle had been ground off.
__________________
-Chris
2004 Porsche Boxster 2.7
1991 Porsche 911 C2 Targa
1995 Mercedes-Benz E320
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:52 AM   #7
Registered User
 
kk2002s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S. New Jersey
Posts: 1,173
Garage
I thought Pierberg is the OEM for Porsche water pumps. Porsche certainly does not manufacture water pumps. (if they did, their bearings would only last a couple thousand miles)

I find the key to parts replacements is to figure out who makes for Porsche and buy direct. You just don't get the pretty Porsche box.
Though I did buy last spring a new Oil filter housing, that was Porsche in a Porsche box.
I framed the box and hang it in my living room, next to my van Gogh
__________________
2002 S - old school third pedal
Seal Grey

Last edited by kk2002s; 04-03-2018 at 03:55 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:15 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: CO
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
I thought Pierberg is the OEM for Porsche water pumps. Porsche certainly does not manufacture water pumps. (if they did, their bearings would only last a couple thousand miles)

I find the key to parts replacements is to figure out who makes for Porsche and buy direct. You just don't get the pretty Porsche box.
Though I did buy last spring a new Oil filter housing, that was Porsche in a Porsche box.
I framed the box and hang it in my living room, next to my van Gogh
I went with Porsche. Suncoast has them for $260.00 currently and purchased the Wahler low temp thermostat. Good thing is, I bought some Esco jack stands as well to add to my everyday regulars, 'cuz we ALWAYS need at least one new tool per job, correct?
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:31 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 144
nice, i did the exact same purchase. Just had it all installed at a local shop along with new Motor mount and UD pulley.

now if the snow would just stop here in the northeast!
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #10
Registered User
 
rp17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DFW
Posts: 713
I bought my pump from FCP Euro. Free replacements so how could you go wrong. Pierburg pump at that. I'm on my 3rd set of brake pads on my beater. One side was wearing out fast but who cares? Took it back to autoxxxx and got another set! Pumps are good for 3 years maybe? Hoping for the same...
__________________
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page